• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Thai Tip

Excellent Thai food and their "Thai Hot" is actually pretty spicy, unlike most other Thai restaurants in town.

The best part is they have several more heat levels not listed on their menu. The menu gives diners the option of "Mild, Medium, New Mexico Hot, and Thai Hot" but if you ask they'll tell you about the "+" levels, meaning you can get your food "Thai Hot +1", +2, etc.

They go all the way to +7 and it will punish you. Do not order it if you aren't familiar with HOT. I've eaten many habs, bhut jolokias, scorpions, and extracts up to 5 million scovilles and have to warn you Tip doesn't mess around and their "+" levels are hot, and +7 is the hottest meal any place in the state has ever served me (regardless of how much I begged for extra spicy lol).

:fire:

That's good news.

I just had my Thai joint that actually makes it hot the other day.

We have a newish Thai place here, and it's fantastic! No choices on the heat, they just make it like it's supposed to be...the way Thai restaurants used to serve food before wimps took over the world.

On a related note, one of the Indian restaurants here has one of those 10 point hotness scales. I hate those because 9 is usually still mild and then 10 they take as a dare to make it as hot as possible until you can't even taste what you're eating. Anyway, I got fed up with it, so went in one day and told the waiter that I just wanted to cook to make it exactly the spiciness his/her mother would cook it. The waiter did a double take, insisted I needed to give a number and I insisted he just tell the cook what I said, that I wanted it the heat it's supposed to be, not a random number. I got the BEST dish ever! Plenty of heat, but didn't mask the other flavors. I also tipped the waiter well for putting up with my seemingly odd request in the land of squishy white bread.

I'm not sure how the scale works there but the first time I asked the waiter about it he said +1 is twice as hot as thai hot, +2 twice as hot as +1, etc. So that would make +7 128x as hot as thai hot if my pencil is working (might be broken). Anyway I tried +2 the first time and can definitely tell a difference between thai hot, +2, and +7.

I'm not even sure why they offer +7 because intitially it's like pulling teeth trying to order it. The mood goes from friendly to concerned pretty quickly but I've eaten it enough now that they probably won't question my decision in the future lol.

Back