• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds The #1 rule to germinating seeds

So, I decided this morning that I was going to give up on all of the Brain Strain 7 Reds that I had sowed in Jiffy pellets about 3-4 weeks ago since I had seen no growth whatsoever in the six pellets that I was going for. I then decided to tear open the pellets to see what if anything had happened to the seeds because I was really curious how 12 seeds would not germinate. It was at this time that I learned the number one rule to getting seeds to germinate....

DON'T FORGET TO PUT SEEDS IN THE PELLETS!!!!!

OOPS!!! I must have just dedicated the row to the Brains and skipped over the row as I sowed the seed.

:confused: :rofl: :oops: :doh: :banghead: :crazy:

:rofl: haha. That's awesome yet sucks also cause you wasted 3 weeks.

Glad it's not a complete waste. Still had 50+ sprouts in the Jiffy dome. I'm just going to have to skip on the Brain Strain this year. The bummer is the two plants that I was looking forward to were the Brain Strain and the Infinity and I fried the only infinity seedling when I forgot to water the pellets on my first epic fail and now I failed with the Brains like this. Oh well. There is always next year and I am pretty overwhelmed with the number of plants that I have as is, so I guess all is well that ends well right?

Are you 100% certain you forgot. I had several jiffy's that I know had seeds but went digging as well after the 4th week and there was zero indication that I put them in? Gonzo, and more than just one strain.

Are you 100% certain you forgot. I had several jiffy's that I know had seeds but went digging as well after the 4th week and there was zero indication that I put them in? Gonzo, and more than just one strain.

No. That's just it, I am not certain, but none of the six pellets had any seeds in them when I went digging, so the reasonable assumption was that I forgot to put any seeds in the pellet. Especially because of the 0% germination and the fact that I germinated 2 plants from the same batch of seeds a few months earlier and 50+ other seeds germinated in the same jiffy dome with the heat mat. But, who knows maybe the seeds composted or something? :?:

LOL!

Over-excited much?

Yeah, I was pretty excited to be getting back on track after my first failed attempt. I think next time I will label my chart as I sow the seeds instead of labeling the whole chart and sowing accordingly. Think that might help keep me on track next time.

You live in Riverside dude! You got a long season. I would still pop a couple in and get them going...Don't consider them late for this season...plant them in containers and overwinter them as early starts for next year! I got 3 brand new Scotch Bonnet sprouts still just coty's. 1 or 2 of those will go in a container for the greenhouse.

Don't feel bad. I had a medical emergency the first of April, had left my plants out in the shade to harden off. My daughter's boy friend was feeding my "free" range chickens, bring my peppers and tomatos in at night and setting them out in the morning while I was in the hospital. He failed to set the pepper plants up on a stock tank I had turned over and placed them on, to keep them out of the chickens reach. he just set them on the ground. Those chickens, picked the plants clean of leaves and even pullled up some plants. They didn't touch the heirloom tomatoes I have growing. I keep the peppers protected from the chickens with a deer fence whem I transplant them. I am talking about Silkie chickens. At least I will be around a few more years to keep trying. The peppers are recovering, probably set me a couple weeks back planting them.

Back