• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum The Albanian Red Hot Pepper Aci Kirmizi Arnavut - Pepperlover.com

A fantastic new variety from Judy at Pepperlover.com, originating in Albania.

http://pepperlover.com

Another of the rare embroidered peppers with a lot of corking, such as Vezena Piperka and Potato Market Jalapeño, this one is both huge and amazing-looking. What a find!!!

The aroma was sweet and very rich, with a lot of aromatic components and a woodsy, almost mushroomy element. Very complex and appealing!!!

The flavor was even better than the aroma. Very sweet upfront, with a lot of nice acidity to balance that developing second. A great deal of nutty richness that set off the flavor beautifully, along with lovely tones of aromatic flavours. Dare I say Umami? The Japanese concept of an almost indescribable sense of savory flavor, in addition to the usual sweet, salty, bitter and sour. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOTCy4fk4pA&list=UUvpwCBbWBXpc-AzNlkEf8RA

Excellent review Nigel! I was researching those peppers last year, and really wanted seed. Nice to see they're available now. That thing is so big I thought you were eating a hot dog before I hit play. Love your descriptions of flavor and heat. I really like the nutty type flavors in peppers. Can't wait to grow those. Hopefully Judy will have seeds or pods available. Also thanks for the tip on You Tube. Now every time you do a review I'm notified, way cool!

Great review, Nigel. Sounds delish.

I have a question, maybe you or Judy can answer this. Right now, I use cayenne for my sauce base, adding others for heat, I love the flavor of cayenne, but they are very thin fleshed, and obviously you don't get quantity along with quality. The Vezena Piperka, and now this one, sound like what I might be seeking. Does that sound logical? I must confess I am intrigued by these two peppers...

@Jakester.
This one may be good for sauce, I have never tired them. The flavor is very complex, making it a unique pepper with very distinctive profile.
It is Not very hot, Yet has some kick to it.
It has a very noticeable levels of sweetness(Berrylike), Acidity/salty, and no bitterness whatsoever.
Natural earthy, "woodsy, almost mushroomy" flavor coming from the rough embroidered  skin after being exposed to the sun for a long time
In powders, you just cant get enough of this pepper, and it beats any other Mexican famous powders
Fresh eating, it is one of the best annums we tired. 

So it may work for sauces but may not be hot enough  

jakester said:
Great review, Nigel. Sounds delish.

I have a question, maybe you or Judy can answer this. Right now, I use cayenne for my sauce base, adding others for heat, I love the flavor of cayenne, but they are very thin fleshed, and obviously you don't get quantity along with quality. The Vezena Piperka, and now this one, sound like what I might be seeking. Does that sound logical? I must confess I am intrigued by these two peppers...
I think Judy said it best. These may well be excellent for sauces, but it`s hard to say without having a go. They do not taste like Cayenne at all, but I`m sure would add a great deal of flavor to sauces. 

I just tried some of this powder from Judy, and its definitely a must have. Very delicious! I wonder if I can bribe Judy to give me some seeds before next season :lol: . I have a $10 for 10 seeds...Frickin amazing pepper, with complex tastes with just a touch of heat. I like Nigel's word he used: Umami. As a conno'isseur of fine Sencha teas, I understand where he is coming from. Very nice pepper. Hats off to you Judy for acquiring this one.

*Just noticed more closely that actually I do have a couple of seeds attached to a dry pod she sent along as well! Thanks a lot Judy.

The ones posted before looked a lot larger then the vezena piperka, but these look exactly like my vezenas. What is the actual difference with them? As they are from the same region I figure they probably share the same grandparents but I'd hate to sow the same variety under two names. I also don't think that the name is correct, aci kirmizi arnavut is definetely not albanian but turkish and says something like red chili pepper.. Might it not just be a vezena piperka/rezha?

I just ordered some seeds from Judy. My daughter and her husband are going to be missionaries in Albania. So I'm really excited to grow these peppers.

Back