• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense The Bih Jolokia Story

I'm growing a couple bhut-type plants that are putting out pods that are very pale before ripening.

According to this thread, I may have some real Bih Jolokia on my hand:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/5461-big-color-variation-of-super-hots-unripe/

But apparently there are some "Bih Jolokia" around that do not have this trait.  Does anyone know enough about this to help fill in the details of the Bih Jolokia story?

Here are some pics of my pods on two different plants:

Well this is a good post as I have the same kind of question
My bhut jolokia has the same feature whilst being in the unripe state it should be a Bhut Jolokia yellow, but the pods arent looking like the
bhut jolokia yellow pods i allready found on the net.

1e333b62-7100-4e63-b9d4-caaff1fad377_zps0e8bf6db.jpg

Spicegeist said:
That's actually a different question. 

There are a number of different "yellow bhuts" floating around (with varying degrees of bhut-ishness).

Yeah I maybe did a poorly post of my question, but i'm not a native english speaker.

But I'm very much interested in your question so I will be following this topic closeley.

Greets,

Oli

DevilsEyes said:

Yeah I maybe did a poorly post of my question, but i'm not a native english speaker.

But I'm very much interested in your question so I will be following this topic closeley.

Greets,

Oli

Sure, no problem.  There's a chance this will remain a mystery as well... let's wait and see :cool:

I am very interested in this topic now after our discussion earlier on my Glog :)

Here is another pic of my Bih Jolokia (pepperlover). The pods are a little lighter in colour then I remember, however, not as pale as yours above.

capsidadburn said:
Charles, I went back to last two years grow logs to look at my Bih Jolokiia pics.  I guess I did not take any pics for 2011 even though I grew it.  There is one unripe pic from last year.  It doesn't look as light green as yours but could be the lighting.  My seeds came from Judy's fresh pods in 2010 I think.  Hope this helps you!

2012 grow log page 5 post #90
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27520-capsidadburn-grow-2012/page-5

Thanks Mike, those don't look quite the same.  These things are completely pale, very striking in the garden.  I've seen other non-bhut types also being very pale, but from amongst the bhut/naga types, it seems rare.

I'm thinking that it might be a type of pepper from Assam, but not necessarily synonymous with the Assam Bhut.

Here's info. from Frontal Agritech: http://www.frontalagritech.co.in/products/bihjolokia_gen.htm

Whoever edited the page for them seems to be under the impression that bhut=bih=naga morich etc., which is obviously not the case.  It's actually kind of funny, their page states "Vedic and several other ancient literatures also describe its use," despite the fact that peppers of any kind didn't exist in India until the Portuguese arrived!

Perhaps the authentic varieties get mixed up when someone who has a bih says it's a bhut, so that no one but a few old people know?

The story might be lost, I don't know.
jedisushi06 said:
mine are the same color almost.  

attachicon.gif
IMG_0266.jpg

Did you purchase/receive these as Bih?

Not that i can remember.  Not sure where i got the seeds for mine at.  Some of my naga morich plants look the same.  Could have been labeled wrong or something.  Let me go take some more photos to show u guys what i got.  

capsidadburn said:
Charles, is it just me or does that article have ridiculous SHU level numbers?

Haha, yeah, I hadn't noticed that.  Must be some different way of measuring or writing numbers?  I have no idea what that is all about.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0304.JPG

three different plants with one pod starting to ripen.

your leaves look like mine do to Spicegeist.  Out of all my super hot plants these have the darkest leaves.

My Bengle Naga's are also a pale green...

The plant has only just stared podding, this pod is a little sun burnt i think. This a mature pod however when the proper sized pods start coming through they should be much much bigger.

Spicegeist said:
They look very nice, but you don't remember the name or where they're from?
i can't remember.  I have lots of seeds so it's hard to tell.  They could have been labeled as naga morich.  I know i got some bunk bhut seeds because they look like caribbean red peppers but i lost all my labels on my plants so i'm not sure.  My naga raga plant i got the seeds from Chile pepper pete and the pods look different also from the ones pictured above.
I also started these plants almost 2 years ago so it's really hard for me to recall which seeds i used.  

Some Assam Bhuts also seem to have this very pale skin... maybe these are all very similar.  I wonder if the very pale skinned bhuts (certain Bih, Assam, Bengal) all come from the same source in India.

And I should mention King Naga too...

Back