• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Binford Glog

Better late than never?

I did get a late start this year into the pepper growing. I have tons of seeds, but unfortunately I'm living with my wife's parents' pending a house purchase so I have little room for plants. I started two Jalepeno plants from seed around April and bought one seedling from B&Q (UK's Home Depot) that looked healthy. A couple of weeks ago I was at the garden center and saw a pitiful looking prarie fire plant and just had to take it home and see if I could nourish it back to health.

It's been a touch and go start after one of my seedlings sprouted very quickly and then dried up and died. I had an attack of aphids on my B&Q Jalepeno, but thanks to the Aphid Antidote I was able to fight them off. The Prarie Fire also had an outbreak of aphids and these were also irradicated after one dose! We've had cloud and rain non-stop since May here in the UK (the wettest summer I've ever experienced) so the plants haven't had much light to get them going. Also, my Father-in-law loves to water my plants when I leave them outside for the sun and he drenches them despite my warnings that he's going to kill them with mold. Even though my plants have had all this to contend with, they aren't doing too bad! I do have plans to overwinter all three and give them a better chance for a better summer next year in my new house.

Enough of the chatter! Pics!

This is the B&Q Jalepeno Plant. It's got four pods growing (the first is the largest). I believe I'm waiting for it to fully mature just in case I want some seeds from it. I'm in no hurry!

Here's the Prarie Fire. It had an aphid attack (probably at the garden center as it already had plenty of holes in the leaves and it was turning a yellowish tint). I've got it back up to mostly green now and I'm hoping to see the new growth start to pick up a bit more. It's had a bunch of sprouts everywhere, but they aren't doing anything so I pinched off some of the lower ones to give it a chance to focus on the top.

And last, but not least, the Jalepeno I started from seed. This one sprouted about a week after the first one that died, but it's starting to pick up in growth now since we've finally had some sun the last week! I've had to pot this one up from its original seed pot today. As I feared at the bottom of the soil it was very wet and I saw some bluish mold starting. I've gotten rid of as much of the moldy parts as I could and sprinkled some ash in for good measure (not that I know this is good for it, but it just seemed right to me). I'm planning on keeping these away from the Father-in-law and hoping the sun keeps up so I don't have soggy soil!

Thanks for the interest!

Binford

Hey, Binford, good luck growing those out. If you can overwinter
them, you will have a great head start for next year. Has to be
tough not being able to garden while waiting for your house purchase
to go through. It will be fun planning and building your garden when
that happens!

Definetly. I knew it was too late to get much this season, but I was too impatient to wait until next year. I've already plotted out my sections of the yard in the new house!

Here's an update (as I've actually done a few things)

Firstly, for my biggest Jal plant I was a bit concerned that all the buds fell off and it wasn't making any more. I believe it was a combination of me leaving the window open for it at night (the temp was around the low 50's) and the fact that I really needed to pot this bad boy up. (From a 5" to a 7" pot). The roots were weaving their way around the entire pot to the point where I couldn't really break any dirt free when I moved it to its new home. I've also clipped away the bottom leaves to encourage growth up above and it seems to have worked as there are many new leaves and "feelers" coming out of the nodes.

Even so, the first pod that started on this guy is getting fatter. I originally planned on having it for seeds, but when I'm hungry, I keep dreaming of it stuffed with cheese.... mmm

The Prarie Fire is looking much better these days as I've clipped away many of the brown spotted, holey leaves. I've left a few of the big leaves, but I'm really hoping that this little guy will pick itself back up. There are a whole bunch of tiny leaves ready to turn out, but they've been holding back for some reason, I'm hoping the clipping will encourage those baby leaves to take over.

The Jal I've raised from seed is plodding along nicely and I'm sure that I'll need to pot it up sooner or later. It's looking very healthy and has been enjoying the new found sun we've had in the UK over the last week.

Any suggestions or helpful comments are greatly appreciated!

Binford

Hello Everyone! Thanks for stopping by..

Here's the word on what's new with my grow. I decided to make the leap to putting my plants outside. I was debating on doing this mainly because in Britain we haven't had much sunshine and it's been raining quite a bit so I didn't want my plants to drown, but at the same time, there's only so much a plant will do while confined in a north-facing window. So ultimately, I made the move.

Unfortunately, I have had no experience with UK pests and as you'll see in the photos, a wet summer = many many slugs and snails. They decided to make a quick meal out of my largest plants lower leaves and left a trail of slime in the pot as well as down the side of the pot. This is not something I've ever had to deal with before, but I was determined not to let my hard work be eaten up by a bunch of slimy nasties.

My wife suggested that I sprinkle salt around the patio where I have put my pots and so I did. The next morning, sure enough, there were four or five dead slugs laying around the pot. This small amount of salt held them off until the rain washed it away, then they decided to go for my youngest plant (which is no longer the runt in my bunch) and ate a good few leaves up. I was very frustrated. I read up a bit on my enemies and found that the most effective way to control them is through all methods. I've ordered some copper tape as this was suggested. I also went out about midnight on a raid with a flashlight and found no less than 40 of these disgusting creatures. Let's just say, they won't be bothering me again..

All in all I'm very pleased with the progress of my plants. My Prarie Fire has found a new life and is finally bushing up and showing that it wasn't a lost cause. It's got loads of buds and I've had two flowers so far. The leaves are starting to branch out more and more each day. It's really good to see a sick plant rebound. My main Jalepeno is starting to show new growth again and the first pod is starting to ripen. I went ahead and ate one of the smaller pods on a whim and it was very Bell Pepper-like the first bite, suprisingly spicy in the middle, and bland near the top. I've never had such a varied Jalepeno before. My Jalepeno that I grew from seed is starting to shoot up. I'm hoping it will start production soon as I'm sure there's not too much time left in the season for me. I'll keep you posted though.

Now to the pictures!

My First Pod on the B&Q Jalepeno

The B&Q Jalepeno

The once sick Prarie Fire

And last but not least, my Jalapeno from seed.

Another year.

I now have much more real estate as I've moved into my own home complete with garden. I'm planning on growing a few varieties as well as the three plants I've overwintered from my late season start last year.

Twilight
F1 Cheyenne
Bhut Jolokia
Habenero White
Peperone/Hot Pepper Fuego F1 Hybrid
Lantern

I've got my garden plans laid out. Just a matter of starting the seeds soon and getting ready for a proper start this season. Good luck to everyone!

I've had a few seedlings pop now:

Twilight 2/6
Feugo 3/6
Lantern 4/6
Cheyenne 2/6

Still waiting on the Bhuts and the White Habs.

I've just tallied up my babies so far and here's what I have:

Plants:

Cheyenne - 8
Fuego - 7
Lantern - 5
Twilight - 10
Bhut Jolokia - 2

Sprouts:

Bhut Jolokia - 3
Loco - 2
Cheyenne - 2

Overwintered:

Jalepeno - 2
Prarie Fire - 1

None of the white habs popped and I don't have any more seed for them, so I'm relying on the Bhuts for some superhot chillis this year.

Pics (to prove it's all real!)

8539110473_d5c5dd487a.jpg

8540216474_68d924fb8f.jpg

8539110201_83006bcbcb.jpg

8540216294_5cddc409e4.jpg

8540215960_847586f369.jpg

Matt

Hi Matt,

Just found your glog by chance. Good to see someone else from the UK growing peppers and keeping a glog.

Congrats on the new digs and plants look like they are coming along well..take it the father in law don't come round much? ;) lol

How are you for the White Habs? I have plenty of seeds if you still need any, be happy to send some out to you if you needed any.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, keep your glog going if you can, be good to see your progress mate.

Cheers
Pete

Thanks to PjPeppers, I now have a new set of White Habs to plant this weekend along with a good amount of other varieties that I'm very keen to try out!

8579843831_aa6c2e739c.jpg

Thanks again, Pete!

Glad they arrived safe. If you fancy trying your hand at any other super hot's let me know, I've got a few listed in my profile page that are up for trade. Don't mind sending you a few if you want to try some out, just let me know :P

Hope they all work out well for you this year, you'll have to send me a pod from one of your plants when it's harvest time.

Weather is meant to be rubbish this weekend so you'll have some time to pot up inside at least. lol

I've got a white hab growing at the moment from the same seeds I have sent to you. I update my glog at the weekends now with pictures so I will throw one up of the White hab plant so you can see what your in for :onfire:

Cheers Matt

I'll definitely send you a pod or two from my harvest, although I can't guarantee they'll be pure strains, I am cramming them in.

I had the bin bags on the table yesterday and had to pot up a few of my unruly tomato plants and a Cheyenne plant that's getting too big.

I'll provide special updates for the white habs, should they decide to grace me with a plant within then next couple weeks.

I saw your pics and it makes me want to get some of that mix! My plants are holding on, but since the sun's not really making much of an appearance yet, they're not bursting to life just yet.

Yeah pretty impressed with the progress of my white hab so far. The new stuff really seems to be helping, I would certainly recommend getting some on your plants to give them a better chance.

Have you got a light you can get on them during the darker days? They would benefit from an extra light source I would think as there ain't no sun in the UK at the moment. I use 2 4 bulb T5 lights as well as a 600w hps, not saying you should go that far but maybe a T5 light of sort would help them. The last piccy looks like they are stretching towards the window a lot, just make sure you spin them around every morning to straighten them up a bit. They will love you more for it.

Good luck with the white habs, hope they sprout for you.

What toms have you got going this year then? I've not got any this year but already have a list for next year of what I'm growing lol

I remembered I did have some miracle grow fertilizer for tomatoes and peppers so I've started feeding my plants once a week with it. After a week I can already see that they are much greener and more spritely (I can tell) haha.

Unfortunately, I'm just about pushing the boundries with having my plants on all the windows in the house. I might be able to make a table/booth to put them in my office next year, but this will have to be easy to take down. My father-in-law was kind enough to let me use his walk-in greenhouse (without instructions, which took me a couple of tries to get it together) I've just set that up and started to harden my bigger plants to give the others a chance to be potted up and put into the newly made space on my windows.

I am very hopeful for mid-April to get much better for night temperatures. I can see that next week's forecast looks more on par with the averages instead of below! The best part of it all is that it isn't raining non-stop! I don't think we'll have a repeat of last year's record rainfall.

I'm not sure on the exact varieties, but I'm growing a vine tomato variety that I'm planning on putting in a hanging basket; I've got a run-of-the-mill variety I bought from the garden center; I have another ordinary one I've started from seed; and tiger tomatoes from my funky veg kit I got for Christmas. They are all very aggressive in growth, which surprises me somewhat. I'm also doing many other veggies and fruits (it's my first proper house and garden so why not?)

Still nothing on the habs, but they've only been in ground for a week! I'll be sure to let you know once they pop.

Back