• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The cup method is freakin awesome!

Thank you THP.com for introducing me to the cup method.

On 3/20 I sowed about 15 Bhut Jolokias in baggies and also in dirt. 1 plant germinated so far. I dug up the ones in dirt and put it on a coffee filter in one of those cups with lids and I see germination!

On 3/26 I sowed 10 seeds of the Butch T in cups. It's been only 2 days and I see 3 seeds germinating already. Holy smokes I'm excited!

When should I put these back into dirt and how deep should it be?

Thanks!

I agree it is a great method. I put about 50 Black Pearl seeds in a tupperware-like cup on top of Hoppe's 9 Patches (thanks Beaglestorm for the idea) and about a week later almost every seed germinated. I didn't even have it on a heat source, just covered it with a towel. Since I did not use paper towel, they were very easy to handle. I am going to try to make a Black Pearl hedge this year.

Thank you THP.com for introducing me to the cup method.

On 3/20 I sowed about 15 Bhut Jolokias in baggies and also in dirt. 1 plant germinated so far. I dug up the ones in dirt and put it on a coffee filter in one of those cups with lids and I see germination!

On 3/26 I sowed 10 seeds of the Butch T in cups. It's been only 2 days and I see 3 seeds germinating already. Holy smokes I'm excited!

When should I put these back into dirt and how deep should it be?

Thanks!

Congrats on your germination success there SanDiegoPepper! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Do you have a link to the 'Cup Method'? I'd like to read a little more about it.

A grower can always use a couple extra arrows in his quiver, for those days when our aim is a little off target, with regards to our sprouting attempts. ;)

@ChileAddict, if you end up growing a Black Pearl hedge this year...do try and post some pics. :cool:

dvg

You have a couple of options for moving them to dirt - pick one you're most comfortable with.
A) As soon as the root peeks out, slap it in dirt, 1/8" to 1/4" down.
B) Wait until it comes out of the seed casing entirely, then carefully put into dirt so the stem and cotyledons are above the surface.

I've used both approaches, and personally prefer B, just because I like to watch the little buggers for as long as I think they'll tolerate it.

DVG, here's the link: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19898-germinating-experiment-cups-vs-bags/page__p__417976__hl__cups__fromsearch__1#entry417976

Reactions: dvg
Thanks for your help with the link SDP!

I want to try that method out on a few test seeds.

dvg

Trying the coffee filter cup method at the moment for seeds from a dried Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.
Good chance it won't work, but at least I will have tried.

Back