• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Curse of the Black Pearl

Oh no! That so frustrating!

I've never seen a mouse do that kind of damage. Have you done something to irk the little vermin?

I have automated vermin control units. The biggest problem I have is convincing them not to leave the carcasses in the closet where mommy doesn't find them until things are somewhat unpleasent.

Sorry to hear about the damage.
Before I got a cat I had some success with ulta-sonic mouse control. Its a high frequency from an electric device which drives away mice.

Yeah, that happened to a local nursery here last year. T'was rats. They ate up a large number pf chocolate habanero starter plants. I was going to buy some too. :(

POTAWIE said:
Sorry to hear about the damage.
Before I got a cat I had some success with ulta-sonic mouse control. Its a high frequency from an electric device which drives away mice.

I did the same and my dog freaked out ... She wasnt supposed to be able to hear it and I had it in my basement!!

but that sucks

You could try fighting the little bastards with conventional weapons but that might take many years and cost thousands of lives. Put some peanut butter at the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket. Prop the bucket at 45 degree angle and put a slat of wood on so they can run up to the edge. Once they see the bait they go in but once in, the slick sides don't allow them to get out. Check once a day and you can release them live or do like some and check it in a month. One guy I know did this and found after a month, one very fat mouse with a bunch of bones all around him.

texas blues said:
You could try fighting the little bastards with conventional weapons but that might take many years and cost thousands of lives. Put some peanut butter at the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket. Prop the bucket at 45 degree angle and put a slat of wood on so they can run up to the edge. Once they see the bait they go in but once in, the slick sides don't allow them to get out. Check once a day and you can release them live or do like some and check it in a month. One guy I know did this and found after a month, one very fat mouse with a bunch of bones all around him.

only the hungriest survives huh???lol

Lil shits I had a problem a few years back with my garden but it was the deer doin the damage....Took care of that proble...and made some money too (I sold the deer jerky I made...too bad ya can't do that with mice or rats...eeewwwwwww)

I feel so bad for you man. I know how plants can become like children and to see one die is awful. After your bottle of wine or 3, I'm sure you'll come up with a new plan. Good luck and if I can help out with seeds let me know.

My heart goes out to you mate...that's got to hurt.

& a 7 pod...now i'm going to cry.

Are you up to accepting a package of 'sympathy seeds' or is it seriously too late in the season?

Hi bentalphanerd,

Theres no need to send seeds. Ive got plenty more (except of 7pod, Trinidad Scorpion, CGN 19198 etc :lol: but thank you for your very kind offer. Ive planted up another 900 or so seeds, mostly annuums with a shorter season so I should have at least something to show for this season. Operation 'Mouse Trap' has also begun with excellent results so far (see my updated blog)

By the way, your doing a great job with your web site. I particularly like your illustartion of the scoville scale. Kepp up the great work

Mark

The counter-attack begins & fortified defenses too. No more Mr. nice-chilieman. :rolleyes: Take no prisoners!

:P The almost mythical 7 pod ;)

Thanks for talking up my site, but still lame I think...as soon as I got started I was flooded with work so haven't updated for a week now....isn't it always the way.

Pam said:
...I've never seen a mouse do that kind of damage...

Now I'm concerned cause I'll be putting my sprouts in the ground in a few weeks. I could understand slugs chomping away cause they probably don't have a sensitivy to capsaicin but mice are mammals. I thought they would stay well away. I know many gardeners put chilie peppers over their flower bulbs when planting them to keep squirrels from digging them up, so I've got questions...
Are mice not bothered by capsaicin?
Is there no capsaicin in the plants leaves/stems?

I would have thought there was some in the "sap" if you will and that it then builds up in the pod's placenta. My thinking on that is cause whenever I handle my plants, I get a whiff of what I would call "pepper smell". It smells just like when you first open a bottle of really hot hot sauce. I thought it was the capsaicin I was smelling cause even if you never smelled hot sauce you would think this smell smelled "hot".

BTW, I've read that to get rid of slugs, put a saucer of beer out in the garden. They are attracted to it and then drown in it (like who wouldn't?):shocked: .

BTW, I've read that to get rid of slugs, put a saucer of beer out in the garden. They are attracted to it and then drown in it (like who wouldn't?):shocked: .

Oh yeah, beer works well for killing slugs. It's the yeast in the beer that draws them. If it pains you to waste beer, you can put bread yeast in warm water and set a bowl of it in the garden with the same results.

Back