the @#%$%& deer decimated my 5' Carolina Reaper plant last night

:tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:

I hope they get the worst possible diarrhea

V7UwwVw.jpg

I'm in Charlotte where first freeze is around Thanksgiving.  Any chance this plant recovers and produces well if the deer repellent I sprayed after this happened keeps them away?

I bet that deer is already in some pain. Little bastard.

That's almost 3 months, depending on weather maybe. Should leaf back out fine. But the gamble will be if you have enough warm days to set pods, and if they will ripen.

Odd.  We have been having a deer problem in the spring, but by the time there are pods on plants the deer dont seem to want anything of it.  I kind of figured they were hitting the pods and freaking out.  Stranger too is that they would come so close to your home.  Do you not have dogs?  That close to the house seems really odd.  Start urinating out doors.

xhasti said:
:tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:

I hope they get the worst possible diarrhea

V7UwwVw.jpg

I'm in Charlotte where first freeze is around Thanksgiving.  Any chance this plant recovers and produces well if the deer repellent I sprayed after this happened keeps them away?
I used to live in Rock Hill and knowing how the weather is down there, you should be alright. If this winter is mild the plant may overwinter and come back in March. Alternatively it's deer season down there, shoot em.

AJ Drew said:
Odd.  We have been having a deer problem in the spring, but by the time there are pods on plants the deer dont seem to want anything of it.  I kind of figured they were hitting the pods and freaking out.  Stranger too is that they would come so close to your home.  Do you not have dogs?  That close to the house seems really odd.  Start urinating out doors.
Urinating won't do anything. I know other hunter who urinate in scrapes and the deer are actually roused by it. They think it's another buck.

If you have rotten pods or any pods for that matter, boil them in a bit of water. Strain out the solids and add a few drops of vegetable oil. Spray on your plants and they won't come anywhere near them. Blood meal and a little oil also works wonders when your plants are pod-less. The blood meal one is not recomended for human consumption parts of the plant. I utilize 3-d fencing myself to keep them at bay.

CAPCOM said:
Urinating won't do anything. I know other hunter who urinate in scrapes and the deer are actually roused by it. They think it's another buck.
That is odd on so many levels.  The main reason it seems odd is that in the past we have not had much problem with deer.  I thought it was me pissing by the back fence and tossing rotten eggs that did not hatch.  Earlier this year, wife gave away my goats while I was in the hospital.  They'd broken down a fence to find me and it was all she could think to do.  The following season, have had deer problems.

I am now convinced that male goat urine when they are in rut keeps deer away.  You can smell the stuff 100 feet away or more.  Also, the hunters I know insist that piss keeps deer away.  They say more so if you smoke and less so if you are a vegetarian, but they agree it keeps them away.  Maybe they are just poor hunters looking for an excuse.

AJ Drew said:
That is odd on so many levels.  The main reason it seems odd is that in the past we have not had much problem with deer.  I thought it was me pissing by the back fence and tossing rotten eggs that did not hatch.  Earlier this year, wife gave away my goats while I was in the hospital.  They'd broken down a fence to find me and it was all she could think to do.  The following season, have had deer problems.
I am now convinced that male goat urine when they are in rut keeps deer away.  You can smell the stuff 100 feet away or more.  Also, the hunters I know insist that piss keeps deer away.  They say more so if you smoke and less so if you are a vegetarian, but they agree it keeps them away.  Maybe they are just poor hunters looking for an excuse.
A lot has to do with what you injest. Nicotine, some forms of pharma and probably meat all contribute to odor in urine. And deer probably pick that up. Watching and controlling your intake aids in odor control.

In a larger plot I would highly recomend 3-d fencing. Deer have horable depth perception. I use a 1" polly electric fence line waist height 2' - 3' in front of 4' electric poultry netting with another 1" tape just tied on rebar at 7' high keeps everything but the grasshoppers out. It eliminated the need for 10' deer fence all the way around. The deer can't tell if they can clear 1" tape due to the depth. Coons and possums only try once to get past the poultry netting. Not 1 ear of corn stripped, no melons ripped open for their seeds, no browsing in my fruit trees. It is a very cost effective way to keep them out. For the deer it does not need to be electrified.

Schdez said:
In a larger plot I would highly recomend 3-d fencing. Deer have horable depth perception. I use a 1" polly electric fence line waist height 2' - 3' in front of 4' electric poultry netting with another 1" tape just tied on rebar at 7' high keeps everything but the grasshoppers out. It eliminated the need for 10' deer fence all the way around. The deer can't tell if they can clear 1" tape due to the depth. Coons and possums only try once to get past the poultry netting. Not 1 ear of corn stripped, no melons ripped open for their seeds, no browsing in my fruit trees. It is a very cost effective way to keep them out. For the deer it does not need to be electrified.
I still like a nearby tree stand.

Back