The Deli Cup and Coffee Filter Method?

Hey everyone, took the year off last year because I was busy, but looking to get back in full swing.  I'd been lurking for a couple weeks cause I lost my old username and saw some mention to the deli cup and coffee filter method.  I couldnt find a how to thread wondering if someone could give some info. I usually use the jiffy pod things with a heat mat and do pretty good.  Want to germinate more stuff this year though, so thinking the deli cup method could save some space.

Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

Hmm coffee filter method is fairly simple, take your seeds and put them in a damp coffee filter in a sealing sandwich bag in a warm place.  When you see the seeds hook out put them in soil.  Make sure your hands are pretty clean to keep from contaminating the seeds and the damp filter.

With the deli cup method I assume maybe you're talking about the double party cup method..or "solo" cups? (one that I've been using with great success since last Autumn).  I actually have a video of the basics of that method here:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52056-helvete-ikeepfish-2015-grow-loggreen-is-good/?p=1100760

Big thing to remember using it is to make sure the soil is damp but not wet and when the cotyledons spread to remove the plastic, otherwise they can get humidity shock if they go too long in there and you remove it suddenly.

By deli cups I am pretty sure he means 2oz portion cups aka jello shot cups.

I have found that the little cotton pads women use to remove makeup work way better than paper towels.  The towels dry out way to easy.  Just cut a pad or paper towel to size.  Double up the paper towel to make it thicker.  Dampen the pad/towel, again not drenched.  Place your seeds in.  Cover, and place somewhere warm.  Check daily and add water as needed.  It turns into a mini greenhouse.  Most of the water will evaporate and collect on the lid, so its important to check often.

FWIW I abandoned mine before many popped.  They were just taking forever.  I have much better success planting 5 seeds in a jiffy pod, then separating them later.  Just gently cut the fabric around the top to expose the entire top.  Poke 4 additional holes to plant in.  Then pop in seeds and cover.  Still saves plenty of space, and my plants are popping very quickly now.

Helvete said:
Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

Hmm coffee filter method is fairly simple, take your seeds and put them in a damp coffee filter in a sealing sandwich bag in a warm place.  When you see the seeds hook out put them in soil.  Make sure your hands are pretty clean to keep from contaminating the seeds and the damp filter.

With the deli cup method I assume maybe you're talking about the double party cup method..or "solo" cups? (one that I've been using with great success since last Autumn).  I actually have a video of the basics of that method here:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52056-helvete-ikeepfish-2015-grow-loggreen-is-good/?p=1100760

Big thing to remember using it is to make sure the soil is damp but not wet and when the cotyledons spread to remove the plastic, otherwise they can get humidity shock if they go too long in there and you remove it suddenly.

Great video, I was wondering about a potting mix for seedlings so that helps a ton.  Is this also the mix you use when they get transplanted to larger pots?

Gonna try a few of that double cup method, thanks for that.

Scuba_Steve said:
By deli cups I am pretty sure he means 2oz portion cups aka jello shot cups.

I have found that the little cotton pads women use to remove makeup work way better than paper towels.  The towels dry out way to easy.  Just cut a pad or paper towel to size.  Double up the paper towel to make it thicker.  Dampen the pad/towel, again not drenched.  Place your seeds in.  Cover, and place somewhere warm.  Check daily and add water as needed.  It turns into a mini greenhouse.  Most of the water will evaporate and collect on the lid, so its important to check often.

FWIW I abandoned mine before many popped.  They were just taking forever.  I have much better success planting 5 seeds in a jiffy pod, then separating them later.  Just gently cut the fabric around the top to expose the entire top.  Poke 4 additional holes to plant in.  Then pop in seeds and cover.  Still saves plenty of space, and my plants are popping very quickly now.

Yea I wasnt sure if it was any different then the paper towell/plastic bag method.  I cant find the thread I originally read it on, but it sounded like it was great for seedlings.  I like the Idea of the multiple holes in the jiffy pods, thanks!

fishbear11 said:

Is this also the mix you use when they get transplanted to larger pots?

Yes except I also add compost (kitchen, manure, whatever) bonemeal (homemade from ground deer bones breaks down faster than pelleted) and I normally use forest humus that I collect myself instead of bagged soil

fishbear11 said:

Great video, I was wondering about a potting mix for seedlings so that helps a ton.  Is this also the mix you use when they get transplanted to larger pots?

Gonna try a few of that double cup method, thanks for that.

Yea I wasnt sure if it was any different then the paper towell/plastic bag method.  I cant find the thread I originally read it on, but it sounded like it was great for seedlings.  I like the Idea of the multiple holes in the jiffy pods, thanks!

Yes there is a thread on here somewhere where someone ran an experiment.  They tested the cup method, sandwiching the seeds between 2 paper towels and using the cup method, and using the ziplock method.  The normal cup method drastically won.

I also learned about the jiffy pod method here in a video made by one of the extreme businesses.  They claim that seeds like to have friends nearby for some odd reason.  I believe it 100% now after applying the method.

Back