• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Fluorescent Grow Challange...

Dale, if only all seed was this fast... :beer:

Oh! You guys are considering the little radicles shooting out to be "popped"...I get it now...Im looking at my cell trays like..." :crazy: "...wondering where mine are....lol Im sure my little radicles have shot out as well, but Im not unearthing them to find out. Last one to see Epicotyl is a rotten egg! :beer:

Hey All,

I got a bit of a late start on this. It slipped my mind until Sunday, when I threw my seeds in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag.
IMG_4513.jpg

I had to go get a fluorescent set up, but now I'm all good to go. I just went with the cheapest setup I could, to see how far behind I would be versus a more expensive arrangement. I picked up a T8 fixture and 2 48" 32W Daylight bulbs from Lowe's for $20 total.
IMG_4510.jpg

Once I get the seeds to germinate they will go into 2" biodegradable seed starter containers (with a mix of potting soil and compost) under the T8.

Dale, if only all seed was this fast... :beer:

Too true my friend..too true :) This challenge is going to be fun...im probably going to grow them to full maturity under these fluro's :) I know the hydro setup will grow them quicker and to full maturity as well under these lights...but still putting together the DIY drip system...we shall see soon enough though... :)

IMAG0808mod.jpg

Just to clear this up before someone comments on it...yes those lights stay just a few inches off the tops of these seedlings for 18 hours a day...only lifted to take pics and to water/feed :) I just knew someone like nitwit or somebody would comment on that!! LOL :rofl:

:( Kindergarten isn't how it used to be! :lol: How old is your kid OneFoul? Or are you the the teacher?
My youngest is in 2nd grade and doing well the oldest is in 6th grade and has a load of trouble in school because lets face it the school system they are in is very broken. He has failed the last 2 yrs and they refuse to hold him back resulting in him falling farther behind as he just does not understand what the teacher is sort of teaching. The school did agree to at least have him in summer school this last summer problem is they did not allow him once it came around stateing they had to many already enrolled.

bummer for your older boy, OF1. We're fortunate that we have a great school system. Except for the namby-pamby policy which says a kid can't stand up to a bully. :crazy:

Anyway, Bakers- I see that chain up in the corner.

I've been checking my soil temps, and even though the hot plate is too hot, I stacked the fiber pots and potting soil on top of a muffin tin and the top of the soil is reading 75-80F. :cool:

bummer for your older boy, OF1. We're fortunate that we have a great school system. Except for the namby-pamby policy which says a kid can't stand up to a bully. :crazy:

Anyway, Bakers- I see that chain up in the corner.

I've been checking my soil temps, and even though the hot plate is too hot, I stacked the fiber pots and potting soil on top of a muffin tin and the top of the soil is reading 75-80F. :cool:

Chain up in the corner???

5 day update #1

728ad54f.jpg

First hook appeared today :dance:

Should have more from the other seeds in the next couple days. Hopefully the next update will be more interesting as we can start to track the growth.

Indy :onfire:

Chain up in the corner???
yea, in the upper left corner of the picture. I ASSUMED it was for raising and lowering the lights....correct?

Going to check the dirt now. Nothing poking out yet, and I mobed them to the top of the pellet stove. The air in the basement is a little cold, so I brought them up to the lkiving room until the sprout, then they'll be able to go under the fluoros in the corner of the basement with a hater.

My 4 seeds popped today (just radicals if you want to be a capsaicin snob ;) ). Salsa Lady, pellet stoves make good seed propagators don't they?? I moved mine to 2" biodegradable cups full of good compost from a farm down the road from me and put them under the lights. Hopefully they'll break the surface in about 3 days.

DSCF2468.jpg

I have some other seeds/seedlings under there (datil, yellow scorpion, red scorpion and when the obstinate little bastards germinate, bhut jolokia indian carbon). I'm going to see how their growth rates are over the next month or two so I can get an idea how much of each I should plant next year, since I don't have a real long season in New York.

diamond, last winter we had a 2'x8' table in the dining room right in front of the pellet stove. We had some VERY happy seedlings, all nice and warm.

And they're off!!!
Way too go Ladies and Gentlemen.

I cant wait to gaze upon some peppers.. I'm curious to see what they will be.

Sorry couldn't snap a pic yesterday. Had school then a homecoming game and after party. Here's a pic of my sprouted seeds. I will probably put them in a pot tomorrow or Monday. Surprised to see a 100% germination rate on these things!

v8k192.jpg

$ outta 10 are seein daylight... 2 in horticubes are doin their thing, but it always seems like the sprouts get kinda bound up in the hole and have a hard time turning N. I mean ya just kinda throw then down a dark hole, with now attention to how they land.... kinda like some have to do a 180 to head N. :beer:

My 4 seeds popped today (just radicals if you want to be a capsaicin snob ;) ). Salsa Lady, pellet stoves make good seed propagators don't they?? I moved mine to 2" biodegradable cups full of good compost from a farm down the road from me and put them under the lights. Hopefully they'll break the surface in about 3 days.

DSCF2468.jpg

I have some other seeds/seedlings under there (datil, yellow scorpion, red scorpion and when the obstinate little bastards germinate, bhut jolokia indian carbon). I'm going to see how their growth rates are over the next month or two so I can get an idea how much of each I should plant next year, since I don't have a real long season in New York.

Hey mjd....Is that a potting mix your using , it has that outdoor "clay" color to it and no perlite , vermiculite, or peat??

Hey mjd....Is that a potting mix your using , it has that outdoor "clay" color to it and no perlite , vermiculite, or peat??

Pic1: It's actually aged compost that I got from a local farm. I believe it's 2 years old and is a combination of cow manure and plant debris. It doesn't have any bad odor to it at all, so it has to be pretty old! I was going to mix it with some potting soil, but I didn't get to the store, so it's 100% compost.

Back