• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Green Man's Glog

I figured I could start one of these now that I have two different plants growing.

Some of last year's Cayenne seeds from a foaf who sells in a farmer's market. I started these back in June.

The dried pods from last year

IMG_20120710_154857.jpg

Seedlings to be divided
IMG_20120707_141030.jpg

Newly divided seedlings
IMG_20120710_111928.jpg

Back in March I planted a packet of Minorcan Datil seeds.

minorcan.jpg

I ended up with two plants which made it to maturity. One is a Datil, and one is either a hybrid, mutant, or another seed entirely.

IMG_20120629_160526.jpg

IMG_20120710_091900.jpg

The flower in singles, never doubles, so they aren't chinense, maybe annuum, or frutescens?
Who knows...they grow well, pretty prolifically, taste good, look good, and aren't too hot for "normal" people to enjoy. So I'm growing the heck out of them. They are thick skinned and somewhat fleshy, not like Thai peppers. They stay orange when ripe.

I'm calling them Hurricane peppers cause they're orange and look like Sebastian's beak...and I need to call them something.

sebastian2.png

100_0980.JPG

I've planted out a tray of 4" pots with seeds on 7-2-12 and they've just started sprouting yesterday,

I did a tray of 70 peat pellets last week, and being impatient, I also started some in ziplocks with paper towels...

Now I need to build a new bench to hold all these babies.. that's next weekend's project.

Those Hurricanes look tasty mate! Still trying to find a reputable Datil source myself...
Can you grow year round?

Cya

Datil

Those Hurricanes look tasty mate! Still trying to find a reputable Datil source myself...
Can you grow year round?

Cya

Datil

Not really, most years we get near enough to freezing to make them stop producing Dec-Feb. in March they start going strong. Summers are too hot and wet here so no peppers July-Sept too.

You can't get Datil's from a UK source?

Just a photo post of some new pods.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:750]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:749]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:748]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:747]

Finally have pods on all the plants except the Tobago Seasoning. It is still struggling and barely making any progress...

Having a serious battle with Broad Mites. Everything is being overrun by the nasty buggers.

can't get Datil's from a UK source?

Threre are many seed vendors sources but i started believing the real deal is rare nowadays.
Anyway ive got a small pod sample from USA and try to germinate the few seeds inside that one next year :)

Cya!

Datil

Back