chinense The "I thought it was a Scotch Bonnet" thread

Having never had a scotch bonnet before, I wanted to grow them for a couple of years but just this year I finally had one plant survive and actually produce fruit. 

Below are some pics of the 1st load that I pulled off the plant today. As far as I can tell, they are pretty typical scotch bonnets and actually look much closer to the correct look than others I see around the net that look just like habs. 

I took one of the smaller ones and cut it up for a taste test and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. This thing didn't taste at all like a hab (don't like hab flavor). It wasn't as hot as I was anticipating, but that may be because I have been eating quite a bit of my scorpion powder lately. :D To me it had a fresh pepper taste with decent heat as long as you had a bit of placenta but to me didn't have that pungent hab flavor that I am not really fond of. This will be on the grow list for years to come. 

20130808_211304.jpg
20130808_211329.jpg

20130808_211336.jpg

Having done a little reading up on them, it seems like the shape of bonnets are graded. I'll differ to the experts, but these seem close to grade 1 to me. 

Jeff H said:
I took one of the smaller ones and cut it up for a taste test and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. This thing didn't taste at all like a hab (don't like hab flavor). It wasn't as hot as I was anticipating, but that may be because I have been eating quite a bit of my scorpion powder lately. :D To me it had a fresh pepper taste with decent heat as long as you had a bit of placenta but to me didn't have that pungent hab flavor that I am not really fond of. This will be on the grow list for years to come. 

20130808_211304.jpg
20130808_211329.jpg

20130808_211336.jpg

Having done a little reading up on them, it seems like the shape of bonnets are graded. I'll differ to the experts, but these seem close to grade 1 to me.
By fresh pepper taste do you mean they share the same basic flavour as say a Jalapeño?

Do you have a photo of the plant?

smokemaster said:
Note where stem meets the pod on mine.
Much smaller than yours.(Calyx?)
Yours has pretty flat to indented tops.
Underside ridge on yours isn't indented where the bottom ,smaller part comes out.
Could be pod variation ,but the stem on yours are bigger.
Not Chinense like.

You may have the Annuum-Squash/Jamaican Yellow Hot...

That's what I was thinking... especially after my recent experience and with his saying that they weren't as hot as expected. Bonnets should be plenty hot..... hab hot, at least, and very sweet! They look like exactly like my Jamaican red mushrooms, except yellow

Jeff, these look very much like the Jamaican yellow mushroom peppers, which are C.annuum, not chinense. They are really wonderful, but not Scotch bonnets. Smokemaster`s look like real Scotch bonnets. 

No pic of the plant right now since it's dark, but if it is an annum, that would explain the heat level. Good pepper and very tasty, but I agree, it may not be what was advertised as a SB. So much for getting seeds from trusted sources...

Next time I'm out in the garden, I'll get some pics of the plant. 

I do like it though and I'll likely keep growing it.

Jeff H said:
No pic of the plant right now since it's dark, but if it is an annum, that would explain the heat level. Good pepper and very tasty, but I agree, it may not be what was advertised as a SB. So much for getting seeds from trusted sources...

Next time I'm out in the garden, I'll get some pics of the plant. 

I do like it though and I'll likely keep growing it.
Is the plant in question the one pictured below back in May?
Jeff H said:
20130527_153952.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Yellow
I too ended up with a C.Annuum Jamaican Mushroom from seed that was meant to be Scotch Bonnet a few years ago.

from the MOA version the bottom should be 4 perfect divided parts "bumps"
but mine have not produced yet this season to compare maybe next month

harry said:
Is the plant in question the one pictured below back in May?

I too ended up with a C.Annuum Jamaican Mushroom from seed that was meant to be Scotch Bonnet a few years ago.
Yep, that is it. It is a lot larger now. I'll see if I can get a current pic of the plant with some pods on it soon.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Jeff. PM me for some MoA seeds
Your PM box is full at the moment. Thanks for the offer.

smokemaster said:
Not Chinense like.

You may have the Annuum-Squash/Jamaican Yellow Hot...

+1

this also explains the flavor you described (fresh pepper taste is typically annuum-ish).
I've plenty of Scotch Bonnet TFM from past season if you're interested:

Heat is pretty high but mind that the chinense flavor, even if different from habs, is very pronounced (i'm not a big fan of it myself...)

Cya

Datil

I do have to add in that the Scotch Bonnet is one of the best tasting peppers, and I will not go without a good number of plants every year going forward.

Yeah, the op's Scotch bonnet isn't a true one. The calyx is too big for c.annuum. They should also have the heat level around habaneros. The green one that fell off my plant yesterday gave me a good tongue burn.

Edit: I mean too big for c.chinese, lol.

Thread topic updated to reflect the fact that this isn't a scotch bonnet after all. 

Note to self: Even large reputable seed companies aren't all that accurate in their seed descriptions. 2 out of 8 or so that I bought from this vendor not only didn't grow true, but were completely different peppers, not crosses from openly pollinated plants. bhut jolakai=/=red hab and scotch bonnet=/=Jamaican mushroom. Live and learn.

the mushroom pepper is still a great tasting pepper and I'm glad I am growing it.

I read somewhere that Jamaican red/yellow hot are a ChinenseXAnnuum not a squash pepper(Annuum)
I never heard that before...

I see both Jamacian red or yellow hot advertised as either a Chinense or Annuum.
I see Jamaican Squash/Mushroom as an Annuum no matter the color most times,though some say Chinense,or related to Habanero...

Jeff H said:
Thread topic updated to reflect the fact that this isn't a scotch bonnet after all. 

Note to self: Even large reputable seed companies aren't all that accurate in their seed descriptions. 2 out of 8 or so that I bought from this vendor not only didn't grow true, but were completely different peppers, not crosses from openly pollinated plants. bhut jolakai=/=red hab and scotch bonnet=/=Jamaican mushroom. Live and learn.

the mushroom pepper is still a great tasting pepper and I'm glad I am growing it.

I have a scotch bonnet that looks just like yours Jeff.  I bought the seed from rareseeds.  They have it listed as a
chinense.  I like it though, has a good taste, and will grow it next year.

Jeff H said:

Where did the BonNot seeds come from?

Back