The Importance of a Food Scale

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
If you're going to be making sauces (or anything), a food scale is a must if you are trying to perfect a recipe.

Start changing your recipes from quantities to weights. You may write down that you used 10 habaneros, but each hab is a different size. You want to weigh the 10 habs, and if the recipe is perfect, the next time you make it, use the exact weight. You may end up using 9, or 12, or 11 and 1/4. You get the idea.

Just a little tip for sauce makers ;)

that's a good point and there really is a lot of truth to that.

especially with less dense fruits and vegetables that are chopped differently, or compressed, or less dense parts excluded etc etc. What is 1 cup of chopped anything really? it could end up being different every time.

smart thinking.

Damn straight THP - you can't seriously be without them. Weight over quantity wins every time. For everything else I use some trad balance scales - for bread, baking and sauces I use digital.

thehotpepper.com said:
If you're going to be making sauces (or anything), a food scale is a must if you are trying to perfect a recipe.

Start changing your recipes from quantities to weights. You may write down that you used 10 habaneros, but each hab is a different size. You want to weigh the 10 habs, and if the recipe is perfect, the next time you make it, use the exact weight. You may end up using 9, or 12, or 11 and 1/4. You get the idea.

Just a little tip for sauce makers ;)

Great advice for recipe duplication.

I need a larger capacity digital scale since my current one only weighs up to 400 grams. ;)

Which one are you using?

Great advice THP. I have one anyways as it is mandatory for baking. For hot sauce, I'm not as fussy and normally eyeball it and spray and pray. The last sauce I did however I did measure for the folks that might be interested. But right you are on the scale to dupe authentically.

Salute', TB.

Back