• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc The Ladybugs are here!

Always nice to know that you have have little troopers doing your bidding isn't it Joe!
Go you good thing.

I saw one on my hibiscus plant yesterday. What a scout and hunter - crawling all over the leaves looking for food.

Mike

I had almost as much fun with the ladybugs this year as I did watching my plants flower. The larva are fast little buggers and oh so effective at tracking the nasties.

Do they stick around if there are little to no aphids? I found a tiny few aphids this morning. I neemed them. But I'm wanting to use lady bugs.

You can buy or make ladybug food that you spray on your plant to keep them around longer. I think you mix brewer's yeast with sugar, molasses or honey and mix that in a spray bottle with water. I'm not sure of the measurements but its likely just a search away.

I picked up some oil spray incase I need it, but nature has been taking care of it for me! The box elders are starting to come aroung too! They annoy me though!

POTAWIE said:
You can buy or make ladybug food that you spray on your plant to keep them around longer. I think you mix brewer's yeast with sugar, molasses or honey and mix that in a spray bottle with water. I'm not sure of the measurements but its likely just a search away.

Thats good advice man, Thanks!!

i wonder if a box store ie lowes home depot would sell lady bugs in the garden dept? all my nursuries close before i can get out of the house....hahah, i'm horrible at doing anything productive before 6pm

A quick read on food for lady bugs reveals that a raisin soaked in water for ten minutes, and then cut in half is all they need. This would help keep them in the garden even if there aren't much aphids.

Diablo said:
A quick read on food for lady bugs reveals that a raisin soaked in water for ten minutes, and then cut in half is all they need. This would help keep them in the garden even if there aren't much aphids.

That's awsome! Where did you find that?

Back