• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The leaves all dropped from my pepper

All the leaves just dropped from my chocolate bhutlah. And they all dropped in a little less than 48 hours. It is also starting to happen to some of my new peppers, so it would be nice to know what is wrong. I did just fertilize them, but they havent been fertilized in a while.

Attachments

• 19726155-1742-4253-83C6-8A710D334DCC.jpeg
    19726155-1742-4253-83C6-8A710D334DCC.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 518CF9A8-C500-4F76-B9F9-4B34D68472E2.jpeg
    518CF9A8-C500-4F76-B9F9-4B34D68472E2.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 80
The number one cause of leaf drop with healthy looking plants, is overwatering. Even at that, the amount of leaf drop you are showing is absolutely horrific.
If you want to even have a hope of correcting this, you're going to need to supply a lot more information. Every detail of everything that you do is nice. I'd like to hear what you have to say about you tend to your plants, without being prompted. It gives some insight into your train of thought.

The soil seems to be dry every other day because of how hot it is. I guess there might be moister further down but the pot is light so I dont know. There was a big thunderstorm last night so everything is watered so Im not going to water for about a week probably. It probably is not the fertilizer because it is fairly weak. If this plant dies then I have two more. I was just making sure that it is not an infection or something. The heat did kill three other plants yesterday and damaged some other ones.

Also the heat killed the top off of one of my little 7pot lavas do you think it will be ok? It only has three big leaves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 73
"The heat"? What does that mean?

How long have you had these plants outside? Did you properly harden them off?

The heat as in it is hot outside. It was extremely hot and there was not much you could do to harden the peppers because the weather is crazy.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you understand what "hardening off" means. Hardening off means no direct sun until the plant has adapted to being outdoors.

heat shouldn't be killing your plants, you're in SC, not death valley.  I'm going to guess it's a water issue, but rather under watering.  Rain doesn't provide enough water for container peppers, at least not the type of rain we get here in the south.  With plants and containers that size in the heat of summer, you should be watering every few days, not an entire week.  I have similar size plants in the same size containers with mulch and a shade cloth, I water them about every 3 days or they start to wilt. 

Doelman said:
heat shouldn't be killing your plants, you're in SC, not death valley.  

Yes, exactly my point.
Those plants have "young" looking foliage on them, and sun scald on the little one.  That's a classic sign of plants not hardened off properly.  I expect to see sun scald on fruits in the hottest part of the summer, not leaves.

NIbbles said:
I will hold back on the water though

Is that really what you've taken away from what's been said so far?  I feel like we've learned almost nothing about your particular situation, so it seems odd that we have such a definitive conclusion.
You glossed over the questions about how you hardened off your plants, and when they were first put out.  You have a young plant that indisputably is showing sun scald on one of the leaves.
I know you don't want to lose those plants, and there is only so much that can be done when plants can't be seen in person.  It would behoove you, then, to provide as much info as possible.

NIbbles said:
Yes the bhutlah is a second year plant

Woo, that's a bummer.

From my experience, over watered plants drop leaves after the leaves go light green, so I would rule that out if it were my plant. 

Have you had a look at the root system?

I think I'd just keep a close eye on the soil moisture level and get it under some some shade cloth, like Doelman mentioned.

My plants have been outside since March. The young one I did let it adapt to the sun where it was( slightly under another pepper) but I had to move it because my dad did not want it there. That is probably why it has sun scalding. It is in more direct sun light. I just moved it back, so hopefully my dad wont get mad this time( he does not like my peppers). The leaves where light green on the pepper plant that lost all of its leaves early in the season but they seemed to steer to get color/new leaves in April. Thing is I dont have a better place to put my plants. They get full sun for most of the day. The soil is well drained but holds moister further down. I have not looked at the roots yet but I will let you know when I do. I am extremely busy with school work and gymnastics. Also my mom just got hip surgery so i helping her with that. That is the reason I am not responding as quickly. If you have any questions then I will answer the best I can. I know it is hard to evaluate a plant online.
Thanks for your help!

NIbbles said:
My plants have been outside since March. The young one I did let it adapt to the sun where it was( slightly under another pepper) but I had to move it because my dad did not want it there. That is probably why it has sun scalding. It is in more direct sun light. I just moved it back, so hopefully my dad wont get mad this time( he does not like my peppers). The leaves where light green on the pepper plant that lost all of its leaves early in the season but they seemed to steer to get color/new leaves in April. Thing is I dont have a better place to put my plants. They get full sun for most of the day. The soil is well drained but holds moister further down. I have not looked at the roots yet but I will let you know when I do. I am extremely busy with school work and gymnastics. Also my mom just got hip surgery so i helping her with that. That is the reason I am not responding as quickly. If you have any questions then I will answer the best I can. I know it is hard to evaluate a plant online.
Thanks for your help!
How often do you water it?

Its root bound and needs to be transplanted.

Watering at this point is almost a mute point because it cant retain the water is my guess.

Pull it out of the pot and take a pic.

I would suspect add the environmental stress also and it dropped its leaves trying to focus on survival and concentrating its energy on pods currently on the plant.

I'd probably harvest everything near ripe and then cut it back as needed.
If it were mine about 30% of the upper most plant maybe even 50%.

That's my guess for what its worth, good luck.

:cheers:

Ya know Masher, I've been following this thread as I've never experienced this issue and didn't feel over-watering or under-watering the (Pardon the pun!) "root" issue. As the plant is a couple of years old becoming root bound makes sense. So I'm awaiting OP's report and hopefully resolution to this problem.

Back