• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The leaves all dropped from my pepper

You guys might know this part better than me, because I have never had a rootbound pepper plant. (even though I do multi-year grows, I don't let them get to that point)  But I'm shocked at the severity of the leaf drop.  That's a lot of leaves in a very short time.  Typically, when my plants are overwatered - which happens on account of our rain situation - it's like onesie, twosie drop.  If I have a 6' tall plant, it might drop 18-20 leaves a day.  This thing totally shit the bed.
The leaves to me look like healthy.  Even the ones on the ground.  They have sheen and pert. (if I can use such terms)  Not all wilty and limp like I'm used to seeing dropped leaves.  So I was a bit surprised to hear that diagnosis.  The rootbound thing...  one of the dangers of rootbound, is hot roots, caused by being pressed up against an uninsulated container side.  Wouldn't this have happened much earlier, though?
Interesting case for the files...

solid7 said:
You guys might know this part better than me, because I have never had a rootbound pepper plant. (even though I do multi-year grows, I don't let them get to that point)  But I'm shocked at the severity of the leaf drop.  That's a lot of leaves in a very short time.  Typically, when my plants are overwatered - which happens on account of our rain situation - it's like onesie, twosie drop.  If I have a 6' tall plant, it might drop 18-20 leaves a day.  This thing totally shit the bed.
The leaves to me look like healthy.  Even the ones on the ground.  They have sheen and pert. (if I can use such terms)  Not all wilty and limp like I'm used to seeing dropped leaves.  So I was a bit surprised to hear that diagnosis.  The rootbound thing...  one of the dangers of rootbound, is hot roots, caused by being pressed up against an uninsulated container side.  Wouldn't this have happened much earlier, though?
Interesting case for the files...
I'm with you, the severity of the leaf drop is drastic here.... there's no way this is a rootbound or an overwatering issue.  I think it's a chemical issue, either something got into the soil or something was sprayed on the plant that's killing it.

Or someone is an asshole and plucked all the leaves off lol

I've never seen that kind of drop either.

Just a guess, and maybe just part of a bigger problem.

Cat pee?
Dog pee?

Someone sprayed it with something toxic to the plant?

But, if saving this plant is desired, I'd still take the steps repotting to remove any chance of toxic liquids and cut it back in hopes it can be saved.

Still would like to see roots pic, that's pretty woody main stalk etc.

so I did cut it back quite a bit. I was going to do this anyways, but here is the picture of the roots you have asked for. It is root bound but I have peppers that have been worse, and they have not done anything like this. It might be chemicals, but I have no clue how it would get there. No one sprays in my neighbourhood. I will see what this does and will continue reading.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 75
Yup, that is root bound for sure and the roots are brown and woody.

There just isn't enough soil for the roots to properly feed.

Is it the cause/root of the problem? Probably not, but she is screaming for a bigger home.

Thanks for the pic, sure hope you can save it.

It will be a monster next season.

:cheers:

Nibbles I am not expert but was there some environmental event? Did you guys get that cold snap down there that we did up here? 

Back