• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The MOST GOD AWFUL PEPPER EVER!!!! lol

I have eaten ornamental pepper types and they are spicy and bitter, nothing great nothing horrible. Make for good flakes or powder but not fresh. I actually enjoy eating green peppers, bell type and such in anuaams. But i have never ate such a horrible pepper as i have today and one that i grew myself mind you.

I have three plants of this pepper growing next to my orange Thai and Ancho San Luis pepper. Those last two are stellar, i love them. The Ancho makes such a awesome relleno. Point being they get the same fertilizer and watering because they are in the same raised bed. So please someone tell me who the hell came up with this Orange Habanero abomination strain crap. It is the absolute most disgusting soapy tasting piece of junk on planet earth. How do hell does a habanero get a soap like taste to it and almost no fruit undertone. My datils are light years a head of this orange hab. I ripped them out on the spot. I took nibbles from two other peppers just to confirm the disgusting was in other peppers and then I killed the plants then and there. Abominations, that is what they are :confused: :confused: :confused: :onfire: :onfire: :tear: :tear:

Anyone else have similar issue with habs? is it only orange ones?

What habanero would you recommend instead? i sprouted some Caribbean reds that i bought from Burpee last week. As hot as my Dorset Naga is, it is still light years better tasting then the orange hab, well at least after the burn wears off in about 30 minutes lol.

ya see, that's the thing... right. orange habs have become the main stay of peppers for the grocery store for the exotics. (of course, we know differently). my local habs, from the grocery store, where 2 years ago were orange, are today a miid orange. i won't buy them. imagine orange habs with the colour of a banana pepper! what they are calling scotch bonnets have so many different shapes, it is really hard to see how they could call this a scotch bonnet.

i just retired an orange hab, that was 6 years old, the pods from this plant were amazing. rich, orangish hab and rich in flavour. i only have a few seeds left and will have to focus on how to best grow them. most likey in a dwc.

but i agree, the lemon hab has got to go!

I've had Orange Habs and a Lemon Drop that tasted like soap.
The Hab was bought from the grocery store, and yes, abonination is the word of choice. LoL

Ever try a Red Savina? One of my MOST favorite powders. Good pod too.

Just my 2ยข

Hi Scoville,

actually yes i have a small plant from chili plants dot com that is a red savina and i have two congos, a yellow and brown that are growing. the savina seems a slow grower, but i am hopeful. So far my favorite spicy hab is the Datil. Fatalli is a bit too hot in that the heat overshadows some of the taste to me but i still like it. Blooms like crazy.

Other then that even though they are not spicy, i have several different varieties of Aji Cachuchas from PR that i am growing, my God some of them are just bombs of flavor, but no heat. Maybe i should cross them with a spicy hab? something to think about.

Colon,
Yeah maybe its the Home Depot part that just had bad poor genetics. I am hoping the Red Caribbean is good. That i am going to order from AjiJoe some hab seeds. I have 6 different Super Hots and that is 5 too many for how much i use them. lol. I need some good habs.

Think you will like the Caribbean Red hab. Little smaller than normal pod size, but very prolific. Solid flavor without being excessively perfumey and very hot (hotter than a standard red hab. IMO). Also like the Jamaican Hot Chocolate for a brown hab. type. These two have become the only one's grown, kind of moved on from this variety as a whole these days, more into Scotch Bonnets and 7's .

Orange Habs........gaaag! Have'nt had one for at least four years, no inclination to ever try one again.

Good thread...you just saved me from buying seeds and growing those oranges. They were on my list. Now gotta get something else instead. What other habs are in in the same heat range with a good flavor?

Good thread...you just saved me from buying seeds and growing those oranges. They were on my list. Now gotta get something else instead. What other habs are in in the same heat range with a good flavor?

Bro, I don't know what to tell you as i am not expert. For me so far living in FL for many years, i am growing the Datil, It is a Hab heirloom from St. Augustine. I got the seeds from a local grower up there. The few pods i have ripened so far have been as spicy as that awful Orange Hab but light years ahead in taste. That being said, i didn't think the orange hab was that hot for a hab, so you may want to look elsewhere if you need super heat. For me I really like the Datil, but i am growing a few other varieties to test out. ORANGE IS OUT!!! :dance: :onfire: :hell: :tear: :party:

I've only tasted Orange Habaneros that I've grown and they have been very tasty, fruity, and spicy, i think they are great. They never tasted even a little soapy to me.

I suggest not writing off a strain after reading one report of a bad experience with it. I've grown orange Habanero candidates from three different sources. They have not once been soapy. I have one plant from the third source going through its second winter now.

One thing I will add to those wishing to try the orange Hab is make sure to get the seeds or plants from a good supplier. My first plant was meant to be a yellow habanero.

Taste is subjective... personally, I don't like orange Habs. They've never tasted soapy to me, but something about them makes me gag. Same goes for most chinenses, at least fresh. I still grow them because I think they're fine in a dish or a sauce.

I think some chileheads are like wine-os, they like to tell you about all the flavors they can pick up in a pepper and rank them in terms of quality, but some of us can't tell the difference and at the end of the day we're fine with Franzia... Unless the chilehead population is unanimously against a particular strain, I usually try it anyway before I write it off entirely. And even then, I might try it in spite of popular opinion because I tend to like the things that everyone else hates.

There's no accounting for taste.

Who came up with the orange hab strain? It's the landrace original hab, so the oldest one.

Soapy I think could be a personal opinion, like how some people don't like cilantro/coriander leaves and think that tastes soapy, or it could be the individual seed stock from one particular origin.
Then again a lot of ajis get labelled as soapy too, like lemon or omnicolor

But orange habs aren't worth fussing about and finding a different seed/plant, not worth the time. Try red savina or scotch bonnets (red or yellow) or choc varieties etc instead.

Harry, I never wanted to try grow an orange hab, I can buy orange hab pods from the supermarket even in perth!

I did buy yellow hab seeds last year, they ended being red, though some seem more orange! Crazy hot though, weird plant and hotter than savina for sure, almost choc hab heat. I'm still looking for yellow hab seeds, but probably just going to forget yellow habs and just get yellow scotch bonnets instead anyway.

I also bought a red hab plant once, it ended up being a choc hab! Never even heard of a choc hab at the time as it was 4 years ago!
edit: so I at least finally got the red hab I wanted all those years ago...

Real habs are orange, others are misnamed, crosses, or possible mutations. Its just easier to say hab or bonnet than to explain what a C. chinense is.
For me habaneros(orange) are extremely productive. They aren't my favorite for flavor but home-grown usually tastes much better and are much hotter than grocery store pods

Real habs are orange, others are misnamed, crosses, or possible mutations. Its just easier to say hab or bonnet than to explain what a C. chinense is.
True, that's what I started to say, but then got side tracked.
Though the rest of what I said is along the same lines. Any seed/plant I bought that was not an orange hab but was supposed to be a habanero, ended up being some crazy cross (red were chocs, yellows were red and orange etc). So the other point was not to bother with any 'habs' but try to find something else that doesn't claim to be a 'hab' that's not orange. EG try SB or savinas.
I was going to suggest yellow 7 pots, fatallii, BMJ, but then I remember jsscrstrcks had the same problem with BMJ saying to you they were soapy.

But I agree, don't right off a variety based off one source or pods from one plant at a given time or year. I normally try to double up from at least two different sources before I make my mind up whether I want to grow that variety again. I'm not as thorough as harry willing to try three though.

For me habaneros(orange) are extremely productive. They aren't my favorite for flavor but home-grown usually tastes much better and are much hotter than grocery store pods

Do you have a recommendation for a good source for Orange Habs? I bought my strain from HD which sells Bonnie plants. I don't think all Bonnie plants are bad, the yellow cayenne, Cubanelle and Pimiento are really good that i bought at HD. But then again those are such common peppers that likely most seed are good i guess.

Who came up with the orange hab strain? It's the landrace original hab, so the oldest one.

Soapy I think could be a personal opinion, like how some people don't like cilantro/coriander leaves and think that tastes soapy, or it could be the individual seed stock from one particular origin.
Then again a lot of ajis get labelled as soapy too, like lemon or omnicolor

The taste of the pods is influenced by the local conditions impacting the plant. The flavour of the Aji Omnicolor pods has varied from time to time here (from haven't or not having an additional perhaps lime like tone).

I've commented before about not being able to fault the C. Chinense Limón on flavour here. My Fatalii plant on the other hand has had a propensity to produce bitter pods. I have seeds from two other sources that I didn't manage to sprout last season.

But orange habs aren't worth fussing about and finding a different seed/plant, not worth the time. Try red savina or scotch bonnets (red or yellow) or choc varieties etc instead.

Harry, I never wanted to try grow an orange hab, I can buy orange hab pods from the supermarket even in perth!

I've never come across anything but boring C. Annuum pods at the supermarkets. Most of what I grow would be likely difficult to purchase fresh here for lack of a market and other quarantine restrictions.

The red C. chinense varieties that I have tried do not have the same flavour as the orange Habanero. I have one plant that was grown from seeds harvested from a Habanero Red plant I bought from Bunnings. I was lucky to come across a mature plant that had light green pods that matched the size and shape of a Caribbean Red (not the elongated ones). Their flavour was very strong and overpowering.

I did buy yellow hab seeds last year, they ended being red, though some seem more orange! Crazy hot though, weird plant and hotter than savina for sure, almost choc hab heat. I'm still looking for yellow hab seeds, but probably just going to forget yellow habs and just get yellow scotch bonnets instead anyway.

I also bought a red hab plant once, it ended up being a choc hab! Never even heard of a choc hab at the time as it was 4 years ago!
edit: so I at least finally got the red hab I wanted all those years ago...

I bought a choc hab that ended up being a red that frustratingly produced only 3 pods. This was the same source of the yellow hab that turned out to be some variant on the orange.

But I agree, don't right off a variety based off one source or pods from one plant at a given time or year. I normally try to double up from at least two different sources before I make my mind up whether I want to grow that variety again. I'm not as thorough as harry willing to try three though.

The third source of the orange Habanero here was seeds that were meant to grow into Fatalii plants. The Fatalii was the only one I tried to triple up on unsuccessfully last season.

Hmmm.
Soapy habs?
Never came across that yet.
BURN IT WITH FIRE! hehehe I like them sliced and sauteed with other peppers and some onion in Mexican food, or on top of pizza, but dried and used ground or flaked by themselves just doesn't cut it for me.
Everyone has their preferences.

I do have a couple charity chile plants---bought for a buck just before the store threw them away.
Waste of effort and a buck.
Soapy--no. Flavor or heat---no. Well, unless the taste of grass clippings is an actual flavor.

I think what Harry said before is true. We tend forget about growing conditions. Weather patterns, soil pH, soil temp, evening temps, choice of fertilizer, synthetic or natural. There are sooo many factors.

This plant originated from the Amazon, Brazil, Peru, then to Mexico. That in itself should tell you this is a tropical plant that came from below the equator. The low temps in parts of Brazil never go below 74 degrees.

Also we have caused this plant to mutate, cross, Genetically modify, you name it. All for longer shelf life in the grocery stores.

What I grow in New Jersey will differ from what John grows in Washington state or what Lucy grows in Texas.

Back