• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering =[ The 'Never-Winter' Thread ]=

The annuums in your photos will flower/fruit early no matter what long/lat/climate you are in. A large pod on a 6" plant isn't productive or attractive. Basic issues you may encounter that northerners may not..... More bugs,rain,longer season needing more food. With your lack of free time I would suggest using granular fertilizer,set it and forget it. I am on a tight schedule with traveling and other hobbies and it works for me. My free time is spent taking pics,and picking pods,not mixing ferts.

I cook soil and take the water from it, LOTS OF NUTRIENTS in there, I also till base soil into the bed before I transplant. MG is only an act of desperation for poted plants.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32046-is-it-stinky/page__hl__%2Bis+%2Bit+%2Bstinky

I grow in pots and don't pinch (except for the CR I'm bonsaiing). I trim in early Spring (roots too). I amend with compost at this time also. In the Summer, I fertilize with MG which works for me. I have some fourth season plants this year that are starting to take off!

I think it all depends on what you are after ... this is ultimately the test garden ... save one planter that's all mustard habaneros, and the one planter that's 3 and 3 of TS and yellow 7pot, the rest are anywhere from 3 to 9 singles of like 100+ varieties at this point ...

Then, if it becomes a pepper that works it's way into our staple dishes etc, I've purchased seed and that will be the basis for when I start my 2nd area ... I'm going to some germ tests for that now, and plan to build out another area this summer ...

I believe I will grow those plants in rows w/o pruning fwiw ...

Most years, Houston has no winter worth worrying about. It's the summer that needs more planning. My best plants in the ground are in a spot that gets good sun from mid morning through about 4 or 5 PM, then it is in the shade. Cutting out that late afternoon blast I think really helps during June-July-August. I get 2 crops of peppers (on anuums), spring and fall. The first spring pods are setting now and will continue to set as the plant regrows it's big vegetative top. When the heat gets really high the flowering shuts down and all there is to do is watch the pods turn red. Once the heat breaks in mid-late August, the flowering comes back full bore. The fall pods are bigger and hotter. Chinense only give me one crop and don't even go full red until early fall.

Couldn't agree more ... I'll be watching for totally different things come summer-summer than I was going into my 1st last year, that's for sure ...

The heat can really be 'a thing' ... as well as the constant high humidity and the bacteria, virii, fungus, molds etc that love it ...

Couldn't agree more ... I'll be watching for totally different things come summer-summer than I was going into my 1st last year, that's for sure ...

The heat can really be 'a thing' ... as well as the constant high humidity and the bacteria, virii, fungus, molds etc that love it ...

yeah I think it might be too hot to put seeds or plants out directly in the sun

yeah I think it might be too hot to put seeds or plants out directly in the sun

It's definitely a bit hostile, for sure ... I mean, they survived last year but yeah, there's a lot of intensity (in both strength AND length of time) in full sun in the summer at this latitude ...

I might build some shading screen or a structure for my backyard space (that I haven't started yet), we'll see ...

Back