• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

yes, I understand, that the indigo rose has to be red all round, which can be hard to see below the purple coat (so the green=unmature, red=mature rule still applies)... word also has it, the IRose is a late variety...

I'm currently growing:

Aunt Gerties Gold
Black Cherry
Blondekompchen
Brandysweet Plum
Brazillian
Dwarf Sweet Sue
Eva Ball
Fahrenheit Blues
Flamme
Gajo De Melon
Galinas
Green Doctors
Green Zebra
Haley's Purple Comet
Matt's Wild Cherry
Paul Robeson
Rose Quartz Multiflora
Rosella Purple
Russian Cossack
Shadow Boxing
Skykomish
Striped Students
Stupice
Sungold 
Sweet Linda
Violet Jasper

As well as about 2 dozen F1 hybrids from crosses made last season.  Several of those varieties listed above are still unstable products of Tom Wagner's breeding work - probably not a name many pepper people would recognize, but believe me, if he was interested in peppers you'd all know him and be growing his stuff - guy's a mad scientist of tomato and potato breeding.  A few are high-anthocyanin varieties like the Indigo Rose mentioned above, but with varying amounts of blue pigment on different colored "backgrounds", and most have stripes of some sort.  real cutting-edge stuff....

I'll share some pics when some of the more interesting ones start to ripen.

Al-from-Chile said:
- Stupice (gold standard for early tomato - can go for 6 months with fruit)

Stupice-label.jpg

- Stupice (gold standard for early tomato - can go for 6 months with fruit)

I see this great picture every time i enter this thread. It reminds me of how i keep forgetting to plant this variety every year. This pic has convinced me to get the seed ahead of time and store it for next year. I know the parents would love it too, so i'll be sure to give them some seedlings for their garden.

Oh yea, another small tomato to keep an eye out for, a couple of years from now  since it's not available yet, is Selbo's Red Ribbed.

Thank you for posting these pics, and for starting this thread !

I planted seeds I got from my only Mr. Stripey that grew last year.  The tomatoes this year from those seeds haven't produced what I thought they would.  They grew out to be cherry tomatoes.  At first I thought I may have mislabelled something.  Then I realized I didn't plant any cherry tomatoes this year.  It befuddled me until my astute wife (don't tell her I said that) pointed out that my Stripey grew next to, and was overcome by, Super Sweets last year.

So could it be?  Did my Super Sweets do the wild thing with Mr. Stripey? :shocked:

I wouldn't have thought he was her type...

I've got limited space this year so I've only got 5 tomatoes.  All are doing extremely well (so far).

Black Krim
German Johnson
Traveler 
Big Beef Hybrid
SunSugar F1 Hybrid

Picked my first Black Krims yesterday.  Oh man they were good!!
IMGP2476.jpg
IMGP2477.jpg
IMGP2484.jpg

Wustenfuchs said:
I've got limited space this year so I've only got 5 tomatoes.  All are doing extremely well (so far).

Black Krim
German Johnson
Traveler 
Big Beef Hybrid
SunSugar F1 Hybrid

Picked my first Black Krims yesterday.  Oh man they were good!!
IMGP2476.jpg
IMGP2477.jpg
IMGP2484.jpg
Those look awesome.  I'm growing what was just labeled "Black Tomato".  Very tall plant, as tall as me (5' 10" or just under 2 meters for you across the ponders)
DSCF2163.jpg

It's got some nice looking tomatoes started on it.  Can't wait for these to ripen.

Pepperhead said:
Those look awesome.  I'm growing what was just labeled "Black Tomato".  Very tall plant, as tall as me (5' 10" or just under 2 meters for you across the ponders)
DSCF2163.jpg

It's got some nice looking tomatoes started on it.  Can't wait for these to ripen.
Looking good!  I can't tell, is it a potato leaf?

Jetchuka,

I can send you some Stupice seeds, I have some that I bought this year from Tomato Growers Supply. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Jetchuka said:
I see this great picture every time i enter this thread. It reminds me of how i keep forgetting to plant this variety every year. This pic has convinced me to get the seed ahead of time and store it for next year. I know the parents would love it too, so i'll be sure to give them some seedlings for their garden.

Oh yea, another small tomato to keep an eye out for, a couple of years from now  since it's not available yet, is Selbo's Red Ribbed.

Thank you for posting these pics, and for starting this thread !

Well my morning stroll brought me 3 more Black Krims, 1 German Johnson (my first of 2013) and 2 smallish Travelers (also the first of 2013).

I love this time of year!
IMGP2517.jpg
IMGP2518.jpg
IMGP2521.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yes and the rest is going diced on tacos right now with fresh Jals from the garden!

Oh boy does that Black Prince look good. Good enough for me to consider for next year.

Any opinions on flavor or flavor strength? Does it taste  like any other more common tomato?

Edit: just briefly searched google, i can't find a single bad opinion about it. Seems like it's more to the sweet side and it goes the full season. hmmm

8 healthy tomato clones in 1 gallon pots ready to spread the love. All but maybe 1 or 2 of these are destined for friends, neighbors & coworkers. Roughly one month since taking cuttings (6/22).

riNHVLUh.jpg

TXCG said:
8 healthy tomato clones in 1 gallon pots ready to spread the love. All but maybe 1 or 2 of these are destined for friends, neighbors & coworkers. Roughly one month since taking cuttings (6/22).

riNHVLUh.jpg

extra "like it" for attitude!!  ;)

Back