• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

ColdSmoke said:
These are starting to come in: supposed to be chocolate, but it looks more caramel
image_zpswz6qaxjs.jpeg

These too:
image_zps3ajgmv6g.jpeg

It's starting to get really wet here, so I may just chop everything down and hang the ones with big unripe pods to see what ripens...I'm about done dealing with pepper plants. I need to tone it down next year. This is a lot of work!
Yep, lots of time, work, and $$ spent. I just grew too much the last 2 seasons. I'll grow very little next season, if anything. Still have this glog, though.

On another note, what other hobbies do you guys have? I'm getting more and more into BBQ, in the traditional sense of smoking meat.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I seem to have found my sweet spot with about 20 - 24 pepper plants.  Any more and it would be a bit too much work, and too many peppers to do stuff with.  Though I'm sure my wife thinks that number should be around 4-5 plants :)

My other home hobby is building RC planes from scratch.  Oddly I don't do much of it in the summer (too busy gardening probably).  I just finished putting a more powerful motor on my Bat Plane

IMG_3551.jpg

I used to brew a ton of beer but got burned out on it...I like to smoke cigars, golf, fish and hunt. But right now, gardening is my main hobby since I can do it at home.

ColdSmoke said:
I used to brew a ton of beer but got burned out on it...I like to smoke cigars, golf, fish and hunt. But right now, gardening is my main hobby since I can do it at home.
Yeah, I forgot to mention home brewing. After about 10 years, the honeymoon is definitely over. Ale prices are so stupidly inflated, I can't afford not to brew!

Well, looks like my (not) white fatalii decided to gift up some more ripe pods in November.  I'll take em! 

My hoop house held up from the wind storm we had over the weekend.  I'm really surprised how strong that thin plastic film is.  Its just 6 mil plastic sheeting we use as a tarp when painting.  But it held up to 4 days of continuous winds without tearing at all.  Anyway, I'm still pulling about 5-10 pods every couple days when they get about half ripe.  Then toss them in a brown paper bag with a couple apples to let them ripen.

These below didn't even have to go into the bag.

IMG_3598.jpg

Getting ready to pluck more peppers. Just amazed they are still producing.
20151102_1226581.jpg

20151102_1226231.jpg

20151102_1226511.jpg

20151102_1226171.jpg

20151102_1226111.jpg

This has been a decent year considering a restart on all of them. Cheers all.

Here what I just picked. Some still need a few days but oh well.
2 kinds of Bhut's , Fatalli's and Star of Turkey
20151102_1402451.jpg

I'm really thinking about chopping down the rest of the plants and hanging them to let the rest of the green peppers on them ripen. There's a whole bunch of green peppers left on the plants. I may just pickle some of them. Cheers all.

organic pepper said:
Getting ready to pluck more peppers. Just amazed they are still producing.
20151102_1226581.jpg
20151102_1226231.jpg
20151102_1226511.jpg
20151102_1226171.jpg
20151102_1226111.jpg
This has been a decent year considering a restart on all of them. Cheers all.

Here what I just picked. Some still need a few days but oh well.
2 kinds of Bhut's , Fatalli's and Star of Turkey
20151102_1402451.jpg

I'm really thinking about chopping down the rest of the plants and hanging them to let the rest of the green peppers on them ripen. There's a whole bunch of green peppers left on the plants. I may just pickle some of them. Cheers all.
I hung a bunch of plants upside down and also put some unripe pods in a paper bag with a couple of bananas. Can't say I noticed a difference in either method but both helped in ripening. What I can say is that if the pod was completely green, there was no way it was ripening.

Genetikx said:
I hung a bunch of plants upside down and also put some unripe pods in a paper bag with a couple of bananas. Can't say I noticed a difference in either method but both helped in ripening. What I can say is that if the pod was completely green, there was no way it was ripening.

Yup. I found the same thing.  I'll only pick a pod that's at best 1/3 not green to put in a bag to ripen.

I have had good luck with transplanting 3 plants into one bucket, moving it into the garage, out of the weather.  I don't have any light on them...just dark garage.  The plants seem to go into hibernation mode, with no new growth or flowers.  But I've had good luck with green pods starting to ripen after about 2 weeks.  These I pick and put into the bag

I'm glad to see you guys getting an extended season.  For me, I've already uprooted my 50+plants, and am almost finished prepping the raised beds for next season.

I started with a layer of aged fir bark, something new for me, $17 cu/yd.

Then, I put down alfalfa meal, feather meal, bone meal, and composted chicken manure.  It all gets tilled in, and raked smooth.

Then, I mulch the beds with green waste matter, i.e., shredded plant matter, $10 cu/yd.

Done until Spring when I rake back the mulch and scratch in more of the meals and manure,

I was just courting Pepper-Guru to consider bringing some West Coast flavor to the brewing area, and you were the other member I wanted to ping and see if I can't talk into joining the fun ... especially since I'm about to prepare for some barrel-aging and I know you mentioned that to me once in the past =)

:cheers:

Do you PNW growers wish to continue this GLOG for the the upcoming 2016 season?  It's getting time for grow lists, etc.  Let me know, here.  I'm up for it.

Peppadew.  I'll post more in the 2016 GLOG, which is now up.  WIth that, thanks again to all who participated here.  It seems most of the PNW growers had great success.  On to next season, then.

This GLOG is officially CLOSED,

bpwilly said:
Some real nice looking harvests.  Most of mine still have a ways to go, but some sure are liking the cooler weather.  Here are a few pictures of some I picked the other day.
My Peach colored pods are not coming out peach colored this year.  Nice shape, just wrong color.
01beefa5-6910-4ab2-bfb6-7d3a4d81b853_zpsd4vvugf7.jpg

7cfe3b5a-83bd-4abd-ba0d-3af071863f73_zpsvtgnxdtv.jpg

The 7 Pots seem to be doing OK, just have a ways to get much for a harvest
358c0379-4909-4c9c-9465-99084b2d8bf4_zpsliektwrl.jpg

75cdd566-dd97-48fd-9685-f3570bca7f65_zpsxf1y0z3w.jpg

2d6ce6d1-3e9f-4f45-8ed1-8c9ede640e9e_zpsomg1oxmz.jpg

68abc684-46dd-4338-a782-5812dda00f00_zpsz8veupwo.jpg

d7f08340-690b-4334-9ed9-c9b73da8c61a_zpskwuv4lri.jpg

d86b9e98-7989-46c8-abb7-b17aaf128d44_zps4daa7abv.jpg

358c0379-4909-4c9c-9465-99084b2d8bf4_zpsliektwrl.jpg

2c032769-72ac-4ade-8c9c-59b698b21b4f_zpse5rk1o3v.jpg

Got plenty getting ripe, but did lose a few plants to the wind storm last week.   The Pubs are liking the cooler weather, so I have my fingers crossed for them.  They have taken a long time to produce any fruits this year.  Just dropping flowers most of the summer.  I think they really could use more shade next year.

Amazing!

Back