• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

The Paleo diet just died

Also Otzi's stomach had grains and dairy, believed to be milk or even cheese.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/biology-fields/otzi-iceman-ate-high-fat-last-meal.htm

These days, a lot of people try to control their weight and improve their health by trying to emulate the diet of our ancient pre-agricultural human ancestors. Now, they have an actual ancient menu of sorts to follow — the last meal of Otzi, aka the Iceman, a 5,300-year-old man whose frozen body was found by German tourists in the Italian Alps back in 1991...

Otzi's stomach still contained a small amount of food that he was in the process of digesting, including animal muscle fibers and plant fragments, as well as metabolic compounds that indicated the presence of dairy products and whole-grain cereals.

Sheesh you guys went off topic. I was just posting how this Paleo diet is literally changing by these discoveries. If you can eat bread and cheese this is no longer the same diet and just, eating what we eat.

That dude wasn't a Paleo man, though...  Paleolithic period ended over 11,000 years ago.  Ag probably came into being after people hunted a whole lot of shit to extinction. 

Slug said:
Eat healthy foods/macros in the right amounts for your current lean mass and goals, lift heavy shit, do cardio, hydrate, put down the phone at night and go to freaking bed.  If you haven't even plateaued a lift and think you need to get more specific than that to make progress (gain or loss), your only problem is psychological.

Ha...  Easy for you to say, bro.  I spent about  a year and a half in the gym once, eating like a T-Rex, lifting hard, and getting lots of sleep.  8-10K calories a day.  And when I stopped eating all those calories, I cut right back down to pre-build levels. (almost 15 lbs of lean bulk)  Talk about frustrating.  I will never lift weights again.   Got into calisthenics after that.  Functional strength never lets me down. LOL

Point being... people make vast oversimplifications about diet and exercise all the time.  Bodies are definitely different.  I see people who work half as hard as I do, make twice the gains.

I heard paleo people were rejoicing in the streets now that they can have avocado toast like hipsters.

solid7 said:

I see people who work half as hard as I do, make twice the gains.

I know the feeling.  Fellow linebackers had the same body as me, ate garbage, and recovered fully from leg day before my soreness had even peaked.  Genetics are definitely a thing; as are 'newbie gains', but never forget that even soccer moms will juice when you're watching folks around you get jacked with 25 pound dumbells.  I maintain that basic, healthy eating and personal discipline combined with working out as little as 3 days a week will get most people as far as they will ever need to go but most folks are impatient.  Thus diet and workout fads pimped by cookie cutter aesthetic people whose personal gains or losses actually came from their dogged adhesion to a schedule and personal discipline rather than whatever fad they are currently hawking.

It always shocked and saddened me how many 16 year old kids, 40 year old desk jockeys, and decidedly average moms came up to me kinda on-the-sly at the gym & asked for advice on "their cycle" or some crazy ass diet fad because I was aesthetic or they saw me pulling 495 for sets and surely I MUST know.  :(  That was back when PEDs were harder to get and it still seemed like everyone I met was on something.  I remember walking into the gym restroom sometimes and finding neon green urine where someone hadn't flushed.  "I appear to be urinating radioactive isotopes or antifreeze but I am okay with this..."  I was legitimately the only clean person on any of my college teams and we weren't even championship contenders.  Madness.

As to food intake; yep, you gotta feed the machine if you want to stay big.  I was in the 10k calorie range when I played and I was probably only the 5th strongest dude in the rugby club.  Felt like I spent 50% of my day eating something, but man I love the iron.  Can't wait until I'm cleared to go back to heavy lifts.

Can someone clarify what a hipster is? I see it as like...a parent pretending to care about new music and other things their kids are into so they'll still be seen as cool.

Slug said:
As to food intake; yep, you gotta feed the machine if you want to stay big.  I was in the 10k calorie range when I played and I was probably only the 5th strongest dude in the rugby club.  Felt like I spent 50% of my day eating something, but man I love the iron.  Can't wait until I'm cleared to go back to heavy lifts.

I can't say that I've ever wanted to be "big".  Maybe just a bit "bigger".  But, I'm getting older, and that ship has sailed.    10K calories per day does wonders for physique, but it isn't helpful for the health of one's internal organs. LOL

I've got a pretty thin frame, but am quite strong, considering.  I also have this puzzling thing going on, whereby I weigh way more than it looks like I should weigh.  To the point that when I add 20lbs, and you'll be hard pressed to explain where I've gained it. (seriously, how the hell can someone "hide" weight)  I can feel it, but I sure can't see it...

On the other hand, when I drop 20 lbs from my normal walking weight, I look freaking disgusting!  :D

Ghaleon said:
Can someone clarify what a hipster is? I see it as like...a parent pretending to care about new music and other things their kids are into so they'll still be seen as cool.

I think that unofficially, a hipster is any resident (current or former) of Portland, Oregon, who is of the millennial generation, and is gainfully employed.

Yeah, I just made that up.

Back