• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The pepper field dream

If you had access to a couple acre's of land and you wanted to take your hobby to the next step what would you do? grow? (types of chilli only) how best could you use the land (greenhouse,nets etc) would you pick one or two types to grow for distribution and saucing or would you have a field of many types and grow for seeds to sell.
I think this is a dream of many :crazy: chilli heads around the world and something I would love to do eventually if only I had the land/time/patience ;)

My choice would be to pick a selection of superhots (imagine a field of bhuts) to sell in packs of fresh pods because there is not enough fresh chilli varieties past habanero that you can buy in Australian shops. I think everyone should have the opportunity to have access to these great tasting pods, i understand not many people would like anything too hot but I believe most people think that there's only red and green chilli because thats all they see in the shops :(

What would you do?

Without any doubt Fatalii's in a green house :) If you provide ideal conditions they seem to be big producers of great tasting pods.

I think Dorsets have a unique taste also so I would grow a large patch of them.

And the bumper crop would be T.Scorp's they seem to be such a hardy plant and produce a decent amount of extremely hot pods.

All of the above would make great individual sauces or even jams and hold their own in straight pure form also.
:onfire:

If money were not the issue, I would have multiple greenhouses each with it's own variety to keep the seeds pure. I would probably have Bhuts or Naga Types, T- Scorps, Fataliis, Harold's St Barts, a strain of 7 pots, Fish, and some of the Aji pepper types.

I love both of your answers, it seems everyone has their own favorite selection of hotties. I think the idea of lets say four or five greenhouses with one strain in each would be great, keep the strain pure, sell the seeds and jar the pureed pods, like a mix and match set of superhots you could blend as you wish

There wouldn't be much of a market for the hotties so you might have to grow mostly "red and green" chillies. :) But with some hotties for your own pleasure of course. Yellow 7s, Fatalis and Jonahs would be my pick.

MyWifeHatesMyObsession said:
I think the idea of lets say four or five greenhouses with one strain in each would be great, keep the strain pure, sell the seeds and jar the pureed pods, like a mix and match set of superhots you could blend as you wish

That was exactly what I was thinking. :cheers:

If money was no object, I'd buy a plot of land back home, where I could grow chillies 24-7-365. Besides the obvious Choice (Aji Chombo), I'd also grow Aji Tamarindo, Trinidad Scorpions, White Habaneros and Ring of Fire in mass scale, plus have one or two tropical greenhouses (or just large areas with netting all about) for growing all the other varieties I want to grow in order to experiment a bit on crossbreeds.

I'd sell them fresh, but also do a variety of different things (sauces, powders, pickles, chutneys, jams).

Maybe set up a chilli theme park...:P

Are you tough enough to ride the Naga? :hell:

I was thinking the same thing about the pickles, chutneys and jams. I'd also like to have a place to homebrew and smoke and cure meats. An art studio too. There are many interests I wish I had the space, time and money to pursue.

You have to know your market, here I can't seem to make much money selling super-hots, nobody usually needs more than a couple of them. You're probably better off selling what people are familar with and use lots of instead of trying to introduce something new and outrageously hot unless there is a demand.
I grow veggies on several acres of land and a couple of greenhouses and each year my gardens get bigger but every year I seem to grow less and less chinenses and more tomatoes and milder annuum peppers as demanded by my local market and my family. I do really miss growing loads of super-hotties, they are just such nice looking plants and pods but I can never get rid of what I grow:(

something no one said in here prolly cause AJ didn't post

i would if i had all the room i wanted * muah hahaha * take over the world?
no really tho

mix and match chile powders for that overall burn, or for different types of burn, marmalade chutneys, paprika but most likely i know a few places around here and more all over California that are getting behind the burn, and specialty mail order / regular mail order would most likely be where my hotties go, the more mild / mid hotties would defiantly sell around here, especially if you have ethnic markets in your area. how often do you see a correctly labled pablano in the market? mine are ALWAYS pasilla good habaneros instead of sickly looking ones, RED jalapenos that aren't actually fresnos. heck chile de arbol, pasillo bajio, tons of other chiles that i can only find dried in the 'mexican' aisle is what i would prolly go for local sale, some indian pc1's for the local indian markets, some peruvian chiles ( there is a rather large Peruvian population around me and quite a few restaurants but i would most likely be stepping on someone elses toes on that one ) that's what i would do at least..

If I had the space I'd probably try a bunch of untried (new to me) peppers, select the best of the best, then grow only those in the future. There are just so many varieties to try and so little time. ;)

Back