• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

***THE PERFECT GROWING AREA***

This my friends, is a thread about a magical, hot, lit, rich in fertilizer and huge growing area I recently discovered. this place is my new work place!
Got myself a job at a waste site/garbage pit/dump or whatever you call it. you might think it's a dirty and ugly place, well you'd be wrong! this is beautiful! flowers, trees and pretty much the entire interior of a botanic garden! oh yes, there's a place over at the of it where you dump your DRY waste (no smell).

It's important to say that every piece of land other than the site is agricultural land! I never thought such a thing as "too much light" exists, but this place is a living proof! orange trees turn purple, that's not normal.
It's pretty hot too. around 35c-40c (95F-105F) RIGHT NOW.
Anyway there's so much space, they're letting me do whatever I want! I'm so gonna grow chiles there!

Here are some pics of what's growing there:

baby olives

small orange

baby peach

baby apple

It was difficult taking some of the pictures, because of too much light. the pictures ended up white.
To sum it all up. YAY FOR ME! =]

They look great however, I dont know about your soil in your dump sites but around here the soil in those sites are very toxic ... unless this where the "dry" waste is contained and has been for years and years... sorry for cynicism but with 2 super fund sites within a mile from my house , and both were dump sites, I would be leary. Unless things are different in your country where industrial waste wasnt dumped into the soil since the early 1900's..... then give it a try

LUCKYDOG said:
They look great however, I dont know about your soil in your dump sites but around here the soil in those sites are very toxic ... unless this where the "dry" waste is contained and has been for years and years... sorry for cynicism but with 2 super fund sites within a mile from my house , and both were dump sites, I would be leary. Unless things are different in your country where industrial waste wasnt dumped into the soil since the early 1900's..... then give it a try
I have no idea how it's like over there, but here the very basic requirement for legal dumping is a multi-layer isolation. there's no contact between the waste and soil. the type of waste here is mainly metal, bricks, woods and stuff like that. most are recycled but even what isn't, is also nontoxic.
The soil is rich because this entire area is and was fields of fruits, vegetables and such. the people here believe in enriching the soil and organic gardening.

I only work on the computer system, but I do know a regular test of the soil is also a requirement.

Guilty as geek myself -- Historically around in our industrial areas, we have places that produce everything from jet engines to screw machine shops, they would dump spent coolant or Cobalt, Nickle, Engine oil etc... onto the ground or left in barrals. Years and years later these sites are so contaminated that they acually have to dig and treat the soil then eventually cap it those are the Super Funds and a lot of the older "dumps" are having to do the same thing. It sounds like yours is more a recycling center and seems innocuous enough

LUCKYDOG said:
Guilty as geek myself -- Historically around in our industrial areas, we have places that produce everything from jet engines to screw machine shops, they would dump spent coolant or Cobalt, Nickle, Engine oil etc... onto the ground or left in barrals. Years and years later these sites are so contaminated that they acually have to dig and treat the soil then eventually cap it those are the Super Funds and a lot of the older "dumps" are having to do the same thing. It sounds like yours is more a recycling center and seems innocuous enough
The standards we work with are not Israelis, but European. it is a dumping site, and all legal ones in Israel are the same. maybe not as pretty, but as safe.

I would not call it the perfect growing area or would have even think of planting my chiles there if it wasn't totally safe. :)

Sad to hear about your toxic soil my fellow geek, but Israel didn't exist in the early 1900s. :lol:

LUCKYDOG said:
That is true too .... My bad I wasnt thinking.... :oops:
:lol:
It's the perfect time to discuss it, too. today is the 60th annual celebration of independence. meaning Israel is 60 years old today. :)

One of the communities I cover use to be very heavily industrialized. Old paper mills, insulation companies, a company that made shingles. When these companies went out of business in the '70s, '80s and '90s, the ground sat there, completely unused. Ohio started a program called Brownfields where governments can get huge grants to remediate the site and then sell it.

The remediation: cover it with soil, rocks or concrete! One place, right along I-75 that was home to the shingle manufacturer was so bad they are covering the ground with 20 feet of crushed rock/dirt. Lockland has reclaimed about 60 acres of land so far and added about 1,200 jobs. Not shabby for a village of 2,500 people!

Mike

Omri said:
Israel didn't exist in the early 1900s.

People have lived there for thousands of years. Maybe somebody dumped there in the early 1900s before it became Israel. But maybe they weren't stupid enough to dump toxic waste. I'm sure you would know better about dumping rules in your area so it could be very safe.

LUCKYDOG said:
I was going to mention that but didnt know if you call it Independence Day or the 7th of May or ....
Independence Day would work, that's how we call it in Hebrew.
wordwiz said:
One of the communities I cover use to be very heavily industrialized. Old paper mills, insulation companies, a company that made shingles. When these companies went out of business in the '70s, '80s and '90s, the ground sat there, completely unused. Ohio started a program called Brownfields where governments can get huge grants to remediate the site and then sell it.

The remediation: cover it with soil, rocks or concrete! One place, right along I-75 that was home to the shingle manufacturer was so bad they are covering the ground with 20 feet of crushed rock/dirt. Lockland has reclaimed about 60 acres of land so far and added about 1,200 jobs. Not shabby for a village of 2,500 people!

Mike
Damn. that would definitely would do the trick, but the soil here is fine. we would have gotten some work from all that construction waste, but whatever. ;):P
alawn said:
People have lived there for thousands of years. Maybe somebody dumped there in the early 1900s before it became Israel. But maybe they weren't stupid enough to dump toxic waste. I'm sure you would know better about dumping rules in your area so it could be very safe.
You're right, people have lived here for thousands of years, but before Israel is was pretty much all sand, sand and more sand. nothing industrialized.

Something I noticed yesterday... there was a sort of tent some of the workers built to get away from the sun, and when they took it down yesterday the grass underneath it was much healthier than the rest. does that mean it's too sunny for my chiles? :shocked:

Maybe that fertile and sand doesn't match too well????

All the places on earth that are sand and desert today were green and fertile a few thousand years ago or more (depending what we're talking about). While I agree that the story doesn't mention Moses leading his people through the jungle, some prehistoric farming sites where discovered in wadis in Israel (among others).

Chiliac said:
Maybe that fertile and sand doesn't match too well????

All the places on earth that are sand and desert today were green and fertile a few thousand years ago or more (depending what we're talking about). While I agree that the story doesn't mention Moses leading his people through the jungle, some prehistoric farming sites where discovered in wadis in Israel (among others).
For those who haven't seen Israel with their own eyes.
The northern part of Israel is full of water, mountains, vallies and pretty much any type of plant you like. the southern part (AKA my home) is pretty much a desert with my home town (a pretty large city) as the border. they actually need to move massive sand dunes so they could build new neighborhoods.
The place I'm talking about is a little souther, but it has been used for farming at least for the last 100 years, so it's not sand anymore. I do think the entire area was originally silt, though.

BurritoMan said:
That there has always been plenty of fertile land in Israel; it was not all sand before Israel as a country was created.
Not for me at least, I live in a sandy area. anyway, what I meant by saying that was that it was all plain fields and tents, no factories and such.

rainbowberry said:
The Northern part sounds lovely Omri. I'm sure you'll make things grow fine, if not just from determination.
389895429-L-banyas_opt.jpg

NOT where I live. :lol:
Thanks. ;)

Back