The proper way to do a SASBE

I read this thread through a few times and the postage question doesn't seem to be settled, so I took a SASBE to the Post Office.

They told me that, since it's a bubble mailer, it is automatically USPS First Class Parcel ($2.07), not a flat ($0.92). I tried to argue the point, but with no luck. So, it's $2.07 -- I've been using 5 Forever stamps.

If anyone outside the US needs any US stamps, I can try to send you some.

My wife told me about uline.com to get the little baggies... a box of 1000 for 15 bucks.. I'll try Walmart before I order 1000 bags  :dance:

I think they charge 40c for a regular old envelope to be processed as NON-MACHINABLE.  It would seem that's cheaper than using bubble envelopes...just a tip :)

I just sent out a SASBE with 3 forever stamps on it (with 3 inside for the return).  I hope it is enough!  It worked before!

Just a heads up on sending seeds in regular envelopes marked "non-machinable". I recently received one like this and it had obvious machine marks on the envelope, like it had been run through rollers. It would probably be best to send seed packets between either small bubble wrap or thin foam packing material in case it gets machined anyway. As long as it's less than 1/4" thick, regular "non-machinable" postage should apply.

Note: I'm assuming you have to request the "non-machinable" stamping on your envelope at the Post Office. Maybe they can stamp a bunch of envelopes for you at once so you can simply drop them in the mailbox in the future? Or forget the stamping and just send them padded with a regular stamp?

PS I haven't tested the seeds yet to see if they're still viable.

If you just stick the "non-machinable" letter in the box it will end up getting machined, you have to hand it to them at the office.  Was it the letter that came from me?  If so I'd like to ask about it next time I go in there because you pay extra for that.

Hey Rich, yes it was yours. I probably should have said something at the time, but I didn't want to come across as not appreciating your very generous offer.

Anyway, the markings were like light lines of ink that had accumulated on the rollers from other letters and were deposited on yours as it passed through.

Hmm I'll have to make inquiries about this. I have seen the lady at the desk check a gauge with a gap before and it may have something to do with it.

The best way I have found to send seeds is to simply use a normal business envelope. Sandwich the little seed baggies between two pieces of bubble wrap for foam as mecdave mentioned. And I toss in a hand written note wrapped around the goods for good measure. Shipping from Japan to most places in the world has cost me only $1.05 (conversion from yen), and people who have sent me envelopes have always reported it costing $1.15.

Fish, yours is packaged this way btw. You should get them by Friday of next week.

Hey I have read through this thread and maybe I have missed it, but has international shipping been settled??

I just bought 200 2x2 inch baggies at Cash & Carry (a restaurant food/supply place, I think they used to be called United Grocers) for $1.74. For a thousand that would be $8.70.

I can't find the #000 bubble envelopes locally and on-line the shipping is almost as much as they are. I guess I'll keep using the #0 ones, as the one I mailed out on Friday went for 2 1st class stamps.

It's a shame the USPS has gotten so expensive -- figure sending a SASBE to someone by the time you include the cost of the bubble itself - a larger outer envelope to send it in and the postage for both trips at $2.07 each way you wind up investing a minimum of $5 - $6 -- which kind of makes them a bit expensive for getting a single variety or 2 (It's actually usually cheaper to just buy from a vendor like Pepperlovers if they stock the varieties you are looking for !)

Perhaps it's time to start switching from SASBE's to making a small paypal payment to cover the cost of a bubble and shipping one way  ? (even though that makes it a bit more work for the sender it would at least save $2 - $3 shipping and several days ! )

I've gotten a couple 5" x 7 3/4"  #000 padded envelopes from seed vendors recently. One had a 69 cent stamp on it, the other a metered stamp for 98 cents. Of course I haven't found any new ones for sale anywhere local yet.

Note: Staples mentions the Cushioned mailers are lighter than the Padded mailers to save on postage. I still haven't found the exact size I've been getting, but 4" x 8" ought to be close enough postage wise.

I ordered from an Office Depot 250 triple zero BE. From best I can figure out, PO are starting to treat them as packages, even if they should go as flats (thicker than 1/4 inch, but less than 3/4 inch and not lumpy.) So, 2.32 for shipping, one way. Oh, and if they come postage due, my mailman won't leave them at my door, but I have to go to the PO the next day to pay the postage due to get the envelope.

This is why I'm still trying to find a way to use a regular business size envelope. With the right piece of foam, glued to the paper and the seeds taped evenly across the paper, it should travel just fine and still go for one stamp.

Orekoc said:
I ordered from an Office Depot 250 triple zero BE. From best I can figure out, PO are starting to treat them as packages, even if they should go as flats (thicker than 1/4 inch, but less than 3/4 inch and not lumpy.) So, 2.32 for shipping, one way. Oh, and if they come postage due, my mailman won't leave them at my door, but I have to go to the PO the next day to pay the postage due to get the envelope.

This is why I'm still trying to find a way to use a regular business size envelope. With the right piece of foam, glued to the paper and the seeds taped evenly across the paper, it should travel just fine and still go for on stamp.

Yep anything that is over 1/4" thick is considered a package and has the higher mailing rate (since 1/4" is the maximum thickness that can go through the automated machines without jamming the rollers and shutting down the machine.) -- in Years past since the Bubble envelopes were exactly 1/4" thick empty the USPS used the cheaper letter rates for them if they were not stuffed but now they seem to round up the thickness so that even empty bubbles are charged the higher package rate.  And seeds sent without at least some padding tend to get smashed by the auto sorter and arrive with the majority of the seed unusable (so you have to decide whether it is worth the risk to even try to get them sent the cheaper method. Figure if the seeds you get back are useless you've spent the smaller amount of $ to get them but wind up with the ones you wanted being destroyed - Is it worth saving $5 to maybe get unusable seeds )

JDFan said:

Yep anything that is over 1/4" thick is considered a package and has the higher mailing rate (since 1/4" is the maximum thickness that can go through the automated machines without jamming the rollers and shutting down the machine.) -- in Years past since the Bubble envelopes were exactly 1/4" thick empty the USPS used the cheaper letter rates for them if they were not stuffed but now they seem to round up the thickness so that even empty bubbles are charged the higher package rate.  And seeds sent without at least some padding tend to get smashed by the auto sorter and arrive with the majority of the seed unusable (so you have to decide whether it is worth the risk to even try to get them sent the cheaper method. Figure if the seeds you get back are useless you've spent the smaller amount of $ to get them but wind up with the ones you wanted being destroyed - Is it worth saving $5 to maybe get unusable seeds )
Yes, but if you read their rules, if it is thicker than the 1/4 inch, it should bump up to the flat rate, which is still cheaper than the package rate. I'm beginining to think that using odd size envelopes, which forces the hand stamping and an additional cost of .21 that it is worth it. I just have to take each one into the PO, which I pretty much have to do with the BE anyway. They will get hand stamped, and not go the package rate.

Even a bubble envelope that is less than 3/4" should be considered a large envelope and not a package according to there rules. Therefor it should be the cost of 2 forever stamps depending on weight.  If i take out the rules for them they have to agree. I hate arguing the point so I also do as Orekoc states 
Orekoc said:
Yes, but if you read their rules, if it is thicker than the 1/4 inch, it should bump up to the flat rate, which is still cheaper than the package rate. I'm beginining to think that using odd size envelopes, which forces the hand stamping and an additional cost of .21 that it is worth it. I just have to take each one into the PO, which I pretty much have to do with the BE anyway. They will get hand stamped, and not go the package rate.
and put in a regular envelope with bubble. Sometimes its .21 more, sometimes if a little thicker a second stamp.  Nothing has come damaged and definitely worth saving $5.

Back