• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Red Rocoto That Could...

Last time I was down on the central coast a former girlfriend of mine and still a very good friend to this day gifted me with this red rocoto pepper plant. Thing is it was almost entirely yellow, leaves nearly falling off, pale peppers on it and it was crying desperately for bonemeal. I've had it since early February and have since transplanted it from the smaller container that it was in. Using the hose I sprayed off the last of whatever soil she had it in from the root system and put it in FoxFarm Ocean Forest with a healthy hit of bonemeal and a hint of bat guano to create a microbial feeding frenzy within the soil. Hoping to bring it back to life.

rocoto3.jpg

By fuseboxshot at 2012-04-13

You can see the remaining yellow and bubbling in the leaves left over from when I'd received it.

rocoto2.jpg

You'll have to pardon the blurry pics. My cell phone doesn't take the best pictures. Of the several fruit that were on it they really looked pitiful and were discarded at transplant to give new energy to the leaves and the "one" fruit that was worth something. What you see on top is entirely new foliage and growth has jumped 5X in the last few weeks with multiple flower sites within the new growth.

rocoto1.jpg

I'll update further as it progresses.

Ocean Forest is good stuff man! you can also just add some dry dog food into the soil if you need bloodmeal, or bonemeal. Bonemeal releases super slow in the soil, so using dog food works great. Just FYI! Plant looks good now tho!

Thanks cory! I didn't know about the dog food thing. That's about a damn-good idea you're onto there! Any particular brand that you prefer?

nope.... any of them. It does look like you might still have an iron deficiency tho with your leaves looking like that. Do this.... Go find a RUSTY nail, and throw it in the soil of your plant.

Back