• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

the scary moment

Do you guys ever get scared out of your mind when hardening off your plants and they droop? I'm hardening off my wilds and I put them out for 15min and I watch them quickly start to droop and nearly had a heart attack.

I used to but since they always bounce back when watered & moved back to the shade I don't sweat it anymore.

I agree with using shade for the first week or so.  Then you don't have to worry about sunscald or sunburn.  We found that out the first time we tried to keep them in the sun just for an hour.  The plants looked horrible, but did bounce back during the weeks they should have been hardening off.  Live and learn.

Swamp Monster said:
Yes. Doesn't seem to be an issue since I started using hids, though.
Mine took pretty well against the sun. It was the winds that hurt mine. I plan on using a way bigger fan next time.

Back in 2011 i lost a lot of bulk annuum seedlings in their first time outside and in direct sun, wasn't more than an hour, pretty sure it was around 45 minutes?

Their soil may have been a little dry, can't remember. But death came very quick after the "droop" stage.

You really have to keep an eye on them their first time outside with warm direct sun. Wait no longer than 20-30 minutes before checking on them, and even then i'd move them to the shade.

Pepper sunburn freaked me out this year.  My otherwise healthy plants turned white within a matter of days just being in a window.

Who'd have thought tropical plants didn't like the sun?  Most recovered though.  I think full outdoor shade next year, then a little sun.

Back