The Scovie Special

Thank you very very much to mr and mrs Scoville Deville and Chili Juju for sending me 7 pounds of wet Halltertau hops picked right from their yard
`
These are going in our house beer, and we are calling it the Scovie Special Edition.

2012-09-06_11-38-31_690.jpg

2012-09-06_11-38-35_997.jpg

2012-09-06_11-39-10_56.jpg

Cool! I'm glad they made it in good shape. You are more than welcome!
How awesome is that to have Darwin's house beer named after moi?

Wheebz, you rock.

Be sure and take pictures of the finished product, so we can see the color.

And currently we have our local paper writing an article on it right now, you two are gonna be famous!!!

http://ticketsarasota.com/2012-09-06/section/nightlife/darwins-on-4th-to-make-wet-hop-beer/

Photo by Jared Barnes
Jared Barnes, brewmaster at Darwin’s on 4th, just posted on Facebook that a friend in Washington shipped him several pounds of hops overnight that were picked right off the vine. Barnes says he will use them to make a one-off wet hop version of Darwin’s Evolution.
Most beers aren’t brewed with fresh (wet) hops that were picked just hours before. Instead, most hops are dried to better preserve them for year-round brewing. But once a year at the hop harvest, brewers can use fresh hops to flavor their beers. Brewers don’t boil wet hops; that would be a waste. Instead, they put them in the fermenting beer so the fresh hops can impart an incredible hop flavor than dried hops can’t provide.
For hopheads like me, this should be a most-awesome beer.

Wheebz, make sure you mention that Salsalady and SalsaKid helped de-ant those hops! :lol:

(j/k)

That's cool you're gonna do a brew with Methow hops. How much will that make?

with the amount he sent me, im going to actually do two batches

first one is brewing today, using 2 pounds

second one will be in a couple weeks using all the rest of them, hops are in the cooler right now, thank you vacuum wrap so I am able to do this

batch today is going to be 217 gallons, 7 barrels

next batch is going to be a 3 bbl, 93 gallon, wet hop pale ale

Hallertau hops arent ususally used for this, but f**k it, they smell awesome, and i will make em work

I'm excited about this. SoFlo is getting some fresh Scovie y Juju hops... and we're making hopped mead with it. Sounds like FD is gonna crank out a five gallon batch. I'm thinking of using my two 3 gallon carboys to stretch it a bit further with flavor profile. Maybe a hopped green tea mead and a hopped chamomile mead. We'll see.

Christmas presents for SD and CJ in capped champagne bottles from SoFlo if everything works out right.

What a great way to start the day...
Wheebz on the phone hyperventilating over the box of hops. (That's all I can say about that).

Your 2lbs. will be there tomorrow Sum, (friday) at FDs house. We might pick more and dry them... we'll see.

Do it up!!!

Dude, my girl works in SRQ and is always there. I'm totally gonna tag along and grab a scovie special. She says Darwin's is fairly new?

I used to spend a lot of time there, but i've never heard of Darwins untill here.

What a great way to start the day...
Wheebz on the phone hyperventilating over the box of hops. (That's all I can say about that).

Your 2lbs. will be there tomorrow Sum, (friday) at FDs house. We might pick more and dry them... we'll see.

Do it up!!!

I had no idea that y'all were growing hops! WHY, don't you have a Glog with all that.

So, are those hops now Smoked and Dried? Now where are those 3 kegs FD gave me?

Back