• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

THE SETUP

wordwiz said:
I'm starting to wonder about this whole lighting thing. Okay, I can see the value when starting seeds in a bedroom, corner closet, a section of the garage - things like AJ does. At the same time, I have some plants that are too big to keep under lights so I have them on a table, about two feet from a window. The window is covered with plastic (I live in a very old house with crappy windows) and the plants get only about six hours of direct sunlight a day, with a total of about 10 hours. They are doing as well as, and probably better than the plants under the lights.

Plus, I doubt greenhouses use artificial lighting. At least the ones I have visited don't. Their plants don't get leggy - they start them in tiny seed trays, let them grow until they are completely root bound, then put them in 4-inch pots.

Something to consider???

Mike

this is by no means an insult to you by the way.
i think that your experience may be kinda messed up because i've grown a lot of plants under free cfl, 8 dollar shop lights, 200 dollar t5's, and 300< dollar MH/HPS systems, and aside from how far the lights are, how many plants are under it, and the exact shade of green. they all grew fine. to tell you the truth i've had stronger healthier plants indoors than outdoors. of course there were conditions. but seriously the only thing about the sun is it is more penetrating than a HD light or fluorescent, and it's free.

most ppl don't realize you can put a fluorescent light centimeters from a seedling. let alone a more developed plant.

taking out the ability for them to be leggy. no?

Back