• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic The Simple Way to Grow with Hydroponics

I was doing the same today Patrick and came across this

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2010/08/completely-passive-non-recirculating-hydroponic-systems-yes-its-possible.html

no pumps, air stones or plumbing required. super simple. They did some research with tomatoes and it's not as productive as normal hydroponics but they think it's equal to a soil grow.

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1998%20Vol.%20111/224-225%20%28TYSON%29.pdf

I'm gonna try a few peppers and see for myself.

Was goofing on google and came across this. This has to be one of the easiest, and probably cheapest, ways to grow plants with hydro I've ever come across.

http://www.gardening...low/review.html

Developed by Cornell University it's aimed at teaching kids how to do it but I have no doubt that most of us adults are smart enough to figure it out.
don't think you will be able to grow chilli plants on 1 1/2 pvc pipe. I'm doing a NFT right now using 4" pvc. I'll start a new thread pretty soon.
20120328_145638.jpg

I was doing the same today Patrick and came across this

http://scienceinhydr...s-possible.html

no pumps, air stones or plumbing required. super simple. They did some research with tomatoes and it's not as productive as normal hydroponics but they think it's equal to a soil grow.

I'm intrigued by the passive hydro system, but my understanding was that all sorts of nasty stuff grows in stagnant water that would hurt the plants.

I'm intrigued by the passive hydro system, but my understanding was that all sorts of nasty stuff grows in stagnant water that would hurt the plants.

That's my worry too. I'm still going to risk one of my seedlings and try it out. I'll report back.

don't think you will be able to grow chilli plants on 1 1/2 pvc pipe. I'm doing a NFT right now using 4" pvc. I'll start a new thread pretty soon.

You may have issues with 4" pvc as well. Everything I read before I made mine, people said it worked fine until plants started to reach maturity at which point the root mass then started to clog up the piping to much and it was hard to get water to flow threw it. Said the plants roots would clog it up and it would end up backing up and spilling out the holes drilled on top. So I went with 6" piping. I don't have any full grown plants yet as this is my first try at hydroponics but i'll know for sure come the end of the season. However I'm also not doing a NFT setup and more a hybrid DWC/NFT so 4" may very well work out. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Cause 6" piping wasn't cheap AT ALL and i already have found how i want to change mine up. lol

040.png

You may have issues with 4" pvc as well. Everything I read before I made mine, people said it worked fine until plants started to reach maturity at which point the root mass then started to clog up the piping to much and it was hard to get water to flow threw it. Said the plants roots would clog it up and it would end up backing up and spilling out the holes drilled on top. So I went with 6" piping. I don't have any full grown plants yet as this is my first try at hydroponics but i'll know for sure come the end of the season. However I'm also not doing a NFT setup and more a hybrid DWC/NFT so 4" may very well work out. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Cause 6" piping wasn't cheap AT ALL and i already have found how i want to change mine up. lol

040.png
I hear ya...... I didn't think pvc was so darn expensive. Its also really hard to find places that stock 6" pvc. I went with the 4" because it was so cheap. I actually using some draining type pvc. It only cost me around $70 for all the materials including 2x4 and rubbermaid container. I'm just gonna be careful and not let the roots get too big. Its kinda an experiment for me to see if it will work. Its going in my back yard.

040.png

That for sure does not look simple lol. I think the "simplest" hydroponics is basically what all of us container growers do, soilless drain to waste it would fall under.

Back