• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Strongest original chili?

There are many chilies that measure very high on the scoville scale, but what is the strongest original chili, that you may find i mother nature?

Is it the Bhut Jolokia?

Best regards
K.Jakobsen

I am confused by your statement..."original chili's in nature"....what are you asking...the hottest naturally occuring chili's other than crosses?

well, anything over 800,000 SHUs should do it...Trinidad Varieties (7 Pot and Scorpion) fit that bill and so do some of the Indian varieties such as the Bhut/Bih Jolokia and Naga Morich...in other words, what was already said...

that's what we know today....there may be a deserted island in the south pacific that has an ancient culture that has selected for the hottest pods...who knows where the next one will come from...

I think the answer you're looking for is the chiltepin pepper - completely wild and they still collect them like morel mushrooms. Believe they're around 100,000 SHU

As far as hot goes and commercially grow landrace varieties, I'd say Scorpions and 7 pots too.
Wilds are a whole other ballpark.

As a side note,a lot of the experts are saying they think Bhuts etc. are 7 pots and or Scorpions that made it to India.
It would fit.The trade routes way back when would have made it easy to spread the seeds from the Caribbean to India,China,Africa etc. from the New World...

As an example,to me the 7 pot Caguanas #2 has a lot of pod variations that resemble Bhuts and some of the people I've given seeds to say they are easily as hot as or hotter than Bhuts.But they are definately 7 pots.
I didn't have Bhuts growing the year I collected seeds from my growouts of the original seeds.

Beth gets several E Mails from customers telling her their Chaguanas #2 are easily as hot as anything out there.

BUT heat is different according to who the taster is...

Either way,some of mine were a LOT hotter than others.

I don't know what was grown next to the plants I got seeds from - in Chaguanas.
I doubt there were Bhuts any where near them.

But Butch says the Butch T could have Possibly been a Cumari X Scorpion.He doesn't know...

I think the Chaguanas #2 were seeds from a local grower or street market pods, been a long time since I first got the original seeds and grew them out.I lost a hard drive or 2 since I first cataloged the seeds and my memory isn't all it's cracked up to be. :)

I do have a plant outside with a few buds on it now,we'll see.
I don't know what it'll do yet.
It's from the very last Chaguanas original seed I had left.
It doesn't look the same as my first plant.

There are several peppers that might be the missing link to ALL the pepper varieties we have now.

Cross chart-

http://faq.gardenweb...4441005626.html

Eximium can break the barrier between C.Pubescence and other species.
Rocopica can cross with only Eximium and Pubescens.
Eximium can possibly be crossed or used to cross with other species,then used to cross still other spicies,in the wild and in a greenhouse.
Interesting subject but might be better as a separate post...kinda got side tracked.

As a side note,a lot of the experts are saying they think Bhuts etc. are 7 pots and or Scorpions that made it to India.
It would fit.The trade routes way back when would have made it easy to spread the seeds from the Caribbean to India,China,Africa etc. from the New World...

I think this was dispoven by recent DNA testing, but it was only 1 test which can't always be trusted as total proof. I remember there were also different DNA results with different Bhut sources

I don't think it can be proven or dis proven at this point.
Too many crosses etc. along the way.
I'd think you'd need the exact DNA from peppers that may not exist anymore to use as a point of reference.

As far as Tepins being the mother of all peppers , what about any of the other wilds that are around?
They could be the precursors to Tepins etc.
No way to really tell.
They are still learning all kinds of stuff about peppers in general.
Probably still some we don't know about yet in a jungle somewhere...

I will rephrase that.
Tepins are the "generally accepted" mother of all.
Tomorrow, it may be a different one. With all the chile freaks searching hither and yon for new varieties, anything is possible.
But in re. to the original post, "what is the strongest original chili, that you may find in mother nature?", assuming that means growing wild without cultivation and genetically stable, Chiletepins get my vote.

What I meant was not THE original chili, but what's the strongest, non-crossed and naturally occuring, chili that you could stumble upon in a jungle somewhere?

is that the 7 pot, trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia or ....

Non crossed-----how long?
A Bhut is a cross.
Generally accepted origins are South America. Cultivated as early as 5000 BC, by the time Columbus arrived in 1492, only a handful were cultivated (domesticated) by natives.
The Portuguese traders spread them around the world. 50 years after Columbus brought home peppers (to Spain), they were being cultivated on all coasts of Africa, India, Asia, China, the Middle East, the Balkans, Central Europe and Italy.

So what I am saying, is that if you want to find non-crossed and naturally occurring chili that you could stumble upon in a jungle somewhere, pick a nice wild pepper from South America.
They weren't found anywhere else until historically recently.

that's what researchers think now tgm...but way back, the tepin could have come from another wild...I mean, after all, we are talking 6000 years ago or so...

What I meant was not THE original chili, but what's the strongest, non-crossed and naturally occuring, chili that you could stumble upon in a jungle somewhere?

is that the 7 pot, trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia or ....

Either you're looking at wild peppers or domesticated peppers. Sounds like you're asking about wild peppers talking about the jungle. Here is a list of species in the Capsicum genus:
  1. Capsicum annuum L.
  2. Capsicum baccatum L.
  3. Capsicum buforum Hunz.
  4. Capsicum campylopodium Sendtn.
  5. Capsicum cardenasii Heiser & P. G. Sm.
  6. Capsicum chacoense Hunz.
  7. Capsicum chinense Jacq.
  8. Capsicum coccineum (Rusby) Hunz.
  9. Capsicum cornutum (Hiern) Hunz.
  10. Capsicum dimorphum (Miers) Kuntze
  11. Capsicum dusenii Bitter
  12. Capsicum eximium Hunz.
  13. Capsicum flexuosum Sendtn.
  14. Capsicum frutescens L.
  15. Capsicum galapagoense Hunz.
  16. Capsicum geminifolium (Dammer) Hunz.
  17. Capsicum hookerianum (Miers) Kuntze
  18. Capsicum lanceolatum (Greenm.) C.V.Morton & Standl.
  19. Capsicum leptopodum (Dunal) Kuntze
  20. Capsicum lycianthoides Bitter
  21. Capsicum minutiflorum (Rusby) Hunz.
  22. Capsicum mirabile Mart. ex Sendtn.
  23. Capsicum mositicum Toledo
  24. Capsicum parvifolium Sendtn.
  25. Capsicum praetermissum Heiser & P. G. Sm.
  26. Capsicum pubescens Ruiz & Pav.
  27. Capsicum rhomboideum (Dunal) Kuntze
  28. Capsicum schottianum Sendtn.
  29. Capsicum scolnikianum Hunz.
  30. Capsicum tovarii Eshbaugh et al.
  31. Capsicum villosum Sendtn.
It'll definitely be one of these ;)

There are many chilies that measure very high on the scoville scale, but what is the strongest original chili, that you may find i mother nature?

Is it the Bhut Jolokia?

Best regards
K.Jakobsen

Bhut Jolokia is not a wild species, it is domesticated, selected with care by human hands.

Back