• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Trinidad Scorpion Experiment

A tad over the top perhaps nova but completely uncalled for?- I think not. For someone who doesn't bother to read the details before blurting things out things may seem a bit fishy but my statements in the matter are truthful nonetheless. I don't care to list every single detail of an elaborate test. listing menial or irrelevant detail takes time I don't have. it's not hard laboratory work it's a test run- if anyone has questions ask them but be mindful of tone. Asking is one thing, accusing someone of fraud is asking for problems.
In short- Them's fight'n words- gotta remember in many parts it's still a big deal to be called a lair or a cheat...
Besides I think the language was mild -better than a fat lip in real life no?
I like the way some folks here put it..
"harden the F#*$K up!" Haha that's poetry>

This year Ive had scorps germinate in rockwool, peat pellets, and organic potting mix all at pretty much the same rate and last year I used a damp paper towel in a ziplock so Im pretty sure all they need is warmth and moisture thats it nothin fancy no hormones or super pro mix etc..

and yeah man calling some a retard for asking questions is a bit over the top, especially after reading thru some of your posts the mentally challenged one is pretty obvious

indeed! you are right~ but I prefer cheater soil--- it so fun don't you think? you know true enough the variety is easy for most to grow- I wonder if the problems I hear and I have from time to time have more to do with airborne salt from the sea and the surrounding spores here in southern CA. Lakes and oceans carry very lively soils - they are often packed with fungi and moss as well as tiny organisms. It's not too good really but if you want a sun tan than this place is great! other than that I just don't know what the factors are. every other chili seems to do just fine here- say the ones I mentioned. its just very odd.

flyingappleseedco said:
indeed! you are right~ but I prefer cheater soil--- it so fun don't you think?

not really it all works the same to me, and I prefer to use organic stuff, no chems, hormones etc.. the only fert Ive used thats not natural is a 25% strength bloom booster in a mist bottle, and thats used sparingly

not even cloning gel? how do you clone then? I can see the wisdom in what you do and why- all be it a good way to go -but no test tubes? No exotic soil or setups? no fun. ..

Hey now, whats wrong with Sarah Palin? She's a MILF LOL So what if they chose her for her looks, they thought it would help seal the deal and get John the presidency, just wasnt enough to trump all of Obama's promises he has failed to come through on.

As far as Matt's objections, I agree with him actually, I cant see you mixing the soil around without messing the emerging seedlings up. The one pic clearly has more soil than the previous picture and I think THAT is what Matt was trying to point out.

Wow, wound a little tight aren't we. Trust me, I took the time to carefully read your post, that is how I noticed the inconsistencies. Now for the record, "seams like a hoax" doesn't mean it is, it just means it could be one. I posted my observations and left it up for debate. Now instead of providing more information on your experiment you have just got all defensive.

I think it is funny you say you don't have time to discuss the details of this experiment, yet you have enough time to post 89+ posts in under a month. You have to remember this is a forum dedicated to discussing and picking apart anything pepper related.

Ok granted she is a MILF - no ones questioning that- But lets be honest she's not all there half the time... And ya I don't exactly love do nothing Obama sucking up funds either- but it does give me the creeps to think Palin almost had nukes at her disposal---- X_X
No if you are careful you can remove the soil after it has dried out -as one large soil pellet, then place it carefully on a panel and add more mix to give it some breathing room - I'll never be unkind to a lil pepper. I made sure no roots were disturbed and the soil tucked in with jerking it around. I suppose I should have mentioned the addition of soil as the plants progressed during the first evaluation weeks 1-5 but I thought it a matter of common routine maintenance "like sweeping the floor" so I simply didn't mention it.

oh ok see I thought for a second there you were saying there was a chili head who didn't like shopping for exotic goods.... that's just crazy// haha I was about to say the worlds coming to and end,,

Michigan??? Matt... Michigan... nope--- not having it. wound tight maybe but next time a simple question will do- I do have time to post while I'm up and about either at work or potting or watering etc. but every detail "would" be a 6 page report unfit for a forum. not to mention there are a lot of pet projects in this ranch from black harvester ants to peppers to liquid magnets. you'll find that biology and in particular botany undergraduates have a vast many experiments -Indeed I do have full plate... But I make time to post what I can where I can in a generous fashion. oh.. and that reminds me.... eBay's calling and my other long term experiment is getting hungry and chewing on my leg...

And what exactly is wrong with the great state of MICHIGAN? Come on man, you resort to that. You ever been to there man, it is quite beautiful outside of my home town Detroit. I don't see the point of your "experiment" and question your methods and reasoning and all, but not writing it up to oh, he's from "cali....nope not having it". Have fun on ebay............

jacob

enough of this...I have been following this thread and trying to decide whether it is friendly banter or not...

I am starting to think it is not...

enough of these comments...if it continues, the thread will be locked...

indeed- its hard to find progress in all the pointless bickering on semantics. quite frankly I tire of this... If you aren't interested do something else. if you want to see which one makes the best scorpion and why stay tuned. -the big show is up at week 5 and week 4 has neat result--

moving on............. week 4 is now going to be focusing on the longevity aspect to wrap things up for the main article- the actual full scale test to include 20 supplemented peat 20 organic scorpions= again let the better bred win! to start week 5 To be exact this time IGrow mix vr. 50/50 Alaskan brand/SanQ both clay types... So best of both fronts to see which can make the better scorpion...

I think the age of the seed and the Temp has a lot to do with the sprouting, I have started them at 85 degrees F down to 79 degrees (yes I have
a completely recycled, temperature controlled seed starting contraption, lol). I have used everything from "dirt" to jiffymix in starting seeds, most
pro mixes work pretty well, I have been using "Sunshine, LC1" mix for 4 years now the only difference I can tell is the LC1 has a better wetting
agent which makes it easier when initially starting the seeds or if they dry out a bit. I also went thru the whole ph thing, even going to the point
of adding calcium to the immediate area around the seeds to emulate the calcium found in bird poop (its higher than you probably think!) Mostly the tests were inconclusive, but I think that the only way to progress is to experiment! However I have come to the conclusion the
professional growers method may be the best, overseed and cull the extras!

ButchT

WickedMojo- Glad you liked hearing about the Xela! And yes I will try to go back and fetch that mysterious black pepper. Haha now All i need is 800 bucks and someone who can speak Spanish so I can go back. the most cost efficient way to get there is by 1 week carnival cruise- Too bad video's have to be on the web I'd post me arguing with the town folks over the cost and sneaking on and off ship with assorted peppers ha!

Tigahb8- I'm gonna try those chick crap sticks tomorrow see if the CAP 1035's like it,,, week5 is almost here so I'm gonna start the full test and add something interesting- haha I dun think folks round these parts are pleased with the soils alone so I'm thinking about adding another part- organic Vs. Chemical- it's been done to death but when added to the existing soil germination growth and longevity test it might spice things up a bit? What do you think? worth a try?

flyingappleseedco said:
indeed- its hard to find progress in all the pointless bickering on semantics. quite frankly I tire of this... If you aren't interested do something else. if you want to see which one makes the best scorpion and why stay tuned. -the big show is up at week 5 and week 4 has neat result--

moving on............. week 4 is now going to be focusing on the longevity aspect to wrap things up for the main article- the actual full scale test to include 20 supplemented peat 20 organic scorpions= again let the better bred win! to start week 5 To be exact this time IGrow mix vr. 50/50 Alaskan brand/SanQ both clay types... So best of both fronts to see which can make the better scorpion...

As said previously, growing medium has very little to do with germination, all you really need is moisture.
We have a Trinidad Scorpion growing "comparison" this year and I think this is a much better comparison of growing methods and starting "soils".
Do you have a link to the igrow "soil" I've never heard of it. Most peat based mixes are pH balanced so for your test to really prove that peat's acidity hinders germination, you'd need to use straight peat, otherwise its a totally different comparison in my opinion

sure I have a link to the Igrow superstore -think indoor swap-meet of weed. All the items are from independent sellers mostly- every ones checking this place out cas its a royal heap of controversy here and all over. Still the stuff they sell is applicable for peppers- thus the look see- but the Store has a few brands of Igrow soil check it out this is pretty cool!
http://www.igrowoakland.com/

Back