• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The "womb pepper".....

I have run across this twice this year. Taking a bite out of a pepper just to find a smaller "baby" pepper on the inside. How common is this? I took pics of both... I'll post then when I get home from vacation.

It happens a lot with Bell Peppers and I have seen it often this year with some of my orange Habs. Nothing to worry about and I've always looked at it as a bonus.

I had one in a 7 pot once....now that was a hot little suprise...

As PF said, nothing to worry about and yeah it's known to happen.

i had it happen to 8 7pots this year (all from the same plant) they were all mini pods with another pod neatly inside no air space at all

Yep, just like others have posted, I've seen it in a number of pods as well. Mine were in regular orange habs that were store bought as well as in the ones I grew.

Not an uncommon thing. Also not a problem for the pod in my experience. If it was a threat to pods, peppers would have evolved to inhibit seed sprouting inside the pods like tomatoes have.

Tomato seeds are enclosed in a gel like sack that contains growth inhibitors, preventing the seeds from sprouting inside the tomato. Thus the extra step of fermenting the gel enclosed seeds before they’re collected for growing the next season.

FWIW,

Bill

Back