• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Thebats 2012 glog

So this year I wanted to grow some peppers after being bored at work and browsing the internet. I found out that the ghost chili isn't the hottest pepper in the world anymore. That got me interested in what was and all sorts of other things. Then I found this website and am constantly on it reading. Because of this my girlfriend says I have problems because of how much I'm on here. So that's a bit of a backstory on how I got started on this. :)

So for my first grow I'll be growing

yellow bumpy
australian lanterns
white habs

provided by muskymojo:
trinidad scorps red
chocolate habs
7 pot barrackpore
7 pot yellow
7 pot douglah
7 pot brain strain
fatalii
bhut jolokia indian carbon

Hoping to have a good grow from this for my first year! :)
I'll be ordering some more seeds that aren't c chinense soon to start a little later.

Lets start with my light
20120205233542.jpg

I picked this up at menards with 2 sets of lights, 2, 5000K bulbs and 2 6500K bulbs.
The fixture is a 4' T8 25-40W supporting fixture but my bulbs are 32W.

Then I have my 72 cell tray with a dome and heating mat
0202122211-00.jpg

I have 2 different thermometers and a new one in the mail. I have a long tube one that sits on top of the tray and one that goes down into the soil to measure the temp closer to the water/heat mat.

I filled my trays with Jiffy seed starting mix
20120205233442.jpg

Then added water to the bottom and placed it on the heat mat for 2 days to soak up water and get a good regular temp idea.
20120205233428.jpg

I soaked my seeds for 8+ hours today to prepare to transfer to the soil.
0205121441-00.jpg

After I got all my seeds planted and covered in soil with all the excess water drained from the bottom of the tray I put the dome on. I was able to achieve ~90F with a blanket over the top of the dome ally haveat the soil and air temp. Without any covering I usually get ~80F at the water and ~78F air temp. I'm hoping with partial covering that isn't too heavy I can have 80-85F air and soil temp.
20120205233357.jpg

(Planted 2/5/12)

If I can't maintain a good air temp I'll have to break out my heat lamp to raise it 2 or 3 degrees.
0205122323-00.jpg

I bought a 48"x25' roll of mylar for when the seeds sprout.
I am currently in the process of making mylar reflective shields for my light fixture and a mylar tent that will cover everything. Maybe this will help raise the temp if I can't keep it high enough. If I get hot spots in the tent for some reason or another I have a spare computer fan I can wire up and put in the tent to circulate air. It can also be used to "harden" up the plants before I transfer them outside.

Sorry for the cell phone pics bit I don't have a very good camera (I do have a decent video camera though so I may make my glog video based and have 1-2 min updates every so often)

Could be a nute issue...or nute lockout due to too much nutes. If they're still in seed starting mix they definitely need some food. They still look pretty damp. You may have just watered them??? I water by weight. I don't water them until they are pretty light. To get an idea what they weigh when dry you could fill a cell with dry mix and compare the weight of that to your plants and see the difference. You could also use a food scale if you have one. I bought a cheap meter to read ph from hd that included a light and moisture meter as well. Makes it easy to double check how wet they are at the middle and bottom of the containers with the probe. Hope you figure it out!
Shane

I had just watered them and they have yet to receive any feeding of the nutes. I only watered the ones that looked really bad (leaf burn/drying, yellowing, curling)

Picked up some alaska fish ferts today. This stuff smells foul from the bottle and looks like... well... you can figure it out.
Mixed in water it smells like that rotting fish you find on the beach and poke with a stick... ick

IMAG0083.jpg

These little buggers love my grow area. I found 4 today
IMAG0084.jpg

All my sprouts (pre-nute feeding)
IMAG0085.jpg

Lowered my light a bit so they won't get leggy
IMAG0086.jpg

Yeah...that fish fert is some smelly stuff! Plants seem to like it though. I say leave the spiders in there. They are doing you a service if there are any pests in there.

One sprout looks like it has purple veins running through it. I've heard this is sun burn?
Another couple sprouts are yellowing a bit. Does that mean they need more light? Too much light? I have some young sprouts mixed in with the old. Should I be running my lights 16-8? Will that not be enough light for the babies but benefitcial for the old ones? I'll get a picture when I get home.

Or should I be potting them up? Some are getting their 3rd set of leaves

spiders are good...just ask Patrick ;)

Potting up to what size? Are they in a nutrient free starter mix?-sorry, this is post lunch "speed pass"-so I didn't read from the beginning.
I pot up at the 3rd set of leaves, unless they are in growmix in 16-20 oz solos then there is no "rush", but if they are in a starting mix ...transplant away.

I don't think they look sturdy enough to pot up, but then again maybe if you carefully place them in a different soil mix with some nutes they'll perk up...

You can pot them up just be careful - most of your seedlings look pretty good.
Did you use full strength fish oil - 1 tablespoon/gallon when you watered?
A diluted solution might be better to avoid over fertilizing. And at the end of
the day, you know, some plants just don't ever get goin' despite what we do.
Good look going forward, Bat - transplanting and getting a handle on your problem.

I've only been using 1 tsp per quart! So I can't be over fertilizing. I've also been bottom watering them when the cells feel light, close to the cell of just plain potting mix I have for reference. I just want them to stop being so yellow! :tear: Why is it that my largest sprouts are the ones yellowing? Also, what about the purplish one? Is it sunburn?

Got some new sprouts going! Actaully, not just some, but quite a lot of sprouts going...
IMAG0176.jpg

All my sprouts so far
IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

Brain strain, t-scorp, choc hab

Back