• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest thehotpepper.com vs. Pepper Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
THP busts it out - Mac-n-Cheese on a stick? Dude, that's beyond awesome - that's EPIC! What was I thinking hiding in my bunker? :crazy: I'm getting out to head on over to the front lines of this war! :beer:

OMG THE IDEA WORKED, The molds pressed them into a perfect cylinder, and they slide out with ease, and the liners come right off! They are nice and solid, perfect for the stick... with a smooth surface perfect for coating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ATTACK is later tonight!!!!!!! :woohoo: I'm excited now! This was crazy and it is working!!!!

Attachments

• br-2011-aftermold.jpg
    br-2011-aftermold.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 96
OMG THE IDEA WORKED, The molds pressed them into a perfect cylinder, and they slide out with ease, and the liners come right off! They are nice and solid, perfect for the stick... with a smooth surface perfect for coating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ATTACK is later tonight!!!!!!! :woohoo: I'm excited now! This was crazy and it is working!!!!

I'm betting I was dead on the money.

You guys are just keeping us in suspense. Not working. I am going to eat and drink anyway damn it! (maybe I will peak in here from time to time though)

Ready To Rock-n-Roll!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• br-2011-ready.jpg
    br-2011-ready.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97
Ok, So I had a busy weekend and got a late start but here come the pictures. FYI I forgot the .40 in the Best of all the pictures I took.. I was reading this post and devouring the food when I realized it. :( Oh well..

The dish: Seafood Trifecta

This was my take on a seafood appetizer. A sampler if you will. I thought about my all time favorite seafood apps and decided to do it MY WAY for once. Honestly, I'm not one to toot my own horn but the pictures do this no justice. I had my girlfriend and a couple other people over to test it out. Got a few high-fives and alot of compliments so I guess it was pretty good. I didnt really get to eat much of it. ;) So here it is, My explanations and ingredients.

1st - Bacon wrapped shrimp with a homemade Strawberry Habanero BBQ sauce.

1/2 pound fresh local shrimp.
Bacon
Homemade Strawberry Habanero BBQ Sauce
Skewered, Grilled, and brushed with the sauce. Extra sauce on the side for dipping.

2nd - Lobster lollipop with habanero infused garlic butter dip. (Yes the shell peeled right off and you were able to eat it on the stick)

1 Lobster Tail (Grilled)
Butter sauce - Butter, Minced Garlic, 1 Habanero, sauvingon blanc, chives.
Butter sauce for dippin'.

3rd - Sashimi Tuna with a soy/ginger/wasabi dip

1 sashimi grade tuna filet
Sauce - Minced ginger, soy sauce, squeeze of lemon, wasabi.

Note: These pics were taken with my iPhone so they arent great.

Picture #1 - After we started eating I remembered the .40. Not the best presentation pic but you get the idea.

b679cc20.jpg

Picture #2 - Close up (before everyone started diggin' in)

546454fa.jpg

Thanks to everyone on here for welcoming me when I started on here a couple of months ago. Great people all the way around. Thanks to THP for the opportunity to challenge, This should be a good one!

:cheers: Everyone!

Here is comes.....

How do you make a naga-encrusted-pancetta-man-n-cheese-dog?

Start with nagas...
br-2011-panko.jpg

and panko...
br-2011-pankomix.jpg

and a classic dredge assemply line; flour (Wondra), egg, crumb on the dogs...
br-2011-pankoassembly.jpg

so they are ready for...
br-2011-pankocoated.jpg

FRYING... y'all know I do it all on the grill...
br-2011-frying.jpg

WAIT.. FOR... IT...

I guess I shouldve built up the suspense but I had a CRAZY week. I didnt know if I was goona be able to make this happen this weekend. Glad I did, Hope you all like it!

Naga-encrusted-pancetta-mac-n-cheese-dog-on-a-stick

You will need 1.5" PVC pipe cut to 5.25" in length. With Reynolds Freezer Paper (plastic coated), cut and roll into tube shapes and line the pipe, and at the bottom, roll up and pinch so you have a sock effect and make sure the liners come up above the pipe. Tape them together and place on a plate. Now you have your food-safe molds.

Mac and cheese:
Farfalline pasta, extra sharp white cheddar, freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, organic cream cheese (as a binder when it chills), crisped pancetta, Wondra flour, butter, milk, half and half, sea salt.

Make the mac; slow simmered cheese sauce plus boiled pasta, add crisped pancetta (cast iron on grill), and mix well. Fill the molds about 3/4 full with the mac and cheese. Put a stick in the dogs (Applegate Farms Natural Hot Dogs) and push to the bottom of the molds, then lift up about 1/4". Chill overnight.

Next day, pull them out by tugging on the paper and they pull right out. Take the paper off. Next step is the dredge. Wondra flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs and dried naga pods coarsely crushed as the crumb.

Deep fry in corn oil. Serve with your choice of mustard.

Attachments

• br-2011-pres1.jpg
    br-2011-pres1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 113
  • br-2011-pres2.jpg
    br-2011-pres2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back