• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests These are aphids, right?

Guess everyone experiences nasty pests at least once every season... now it's my turn.

I think these are aphids but wouid definitely like a clarification on that.
I've tried using water with dish soap without much success. I sprayed the affected plants yesterday and 3 hours later there were more pests than before I sprayed  :shocked:

Since it's an indoor grow I feel slightly limited in ways to combat these pests, so should I keep using water with dish soap and if so, how often should I spray?
Any other recommendations to combat these little nasties?

0N9Ja7O.jpg

4gNLDEL.jpg

I tell you what wicked mike told me that worked instantly.

Dr Bronners. Its a liquid Castile soap. 5 table spoons to a gallon. Wait 15 min and rinse off.

As soon as I sprayed the aphids and ants stopped dead in their tracks.

Edit : I've tried a lot of stuff and this is what I use.

This is what I use

http://www.bauhaus.se/natria-pyrsol-koncentrat-250ml.html

I found it in Coop actually, it's better to buy the concentrated thing that you mix with water yourself, I learnt this after going through the big spray bottles in no time at all. Works really well for me, it's just that the plants outside keep getting hit periodically. Also, you'll want to spray all the plants, not just the infected ones, because aphids have a tendency to move to another plant if you just spray the ones that are infected.

Aphids= Black Plaque :(
They breed fast, I would wash them under tap water to get rid of the bulk of them but still trying to find something effective.
Neem oil has been recomended by some.

wow the res on your camera is amazing.  Aphids are actually born pregnant, which is a good thing outside.  That way when predators like ladybugs show up there's already plenty of food and they set up an aphid kill zone for the season. Inside you definitely have something to worry about.  Aphids delicate mouth parts can actually be damaged by a good spray of water like from a hose or a sink sprayer or even a hand sprayer.  I would give the plants a good spray down and smush any I saw.  If you're in a green house you could consider buying ladybugs to release.  Aphids feed on nitrogen so heavily fertilized plants are actually particularly attractive to aphids.

I used imidaclorpid when I got aphids and haven't seen any since :-D Within 10 days, I couldn't find a single aphid. Seems like they stopped eating within a day or two after applying it, too. It just took a few days for them to die, I guess. Don't be afraid of chemicals. Just flush out your soil towards the end of your grow for a week or so if you're the kind that worries about these things. Also, from everything I've read about imidaclorpid, it's very safe to use on plants and is pretty safe for humans as long as you handle it properly.

Topsmoke said:
wow the res on your camera is amazing. 
Nothing fancy really. Just a good DSLR camera and a macro lens. But I was surprised to see that I could capture this much detail with it. :)

Alynne said:
If it is possible, squish. Leave the bug guts on the plant. Seems to deter others.
Interesting theory. I suppose it would work best if you have an isolated plant and the bugs haven't got anywhere else attractive to go.

Anyway, I've bought something similar to what Comptine suggested and I'll try it this weekend. Hopefully it'll work a charm.
It's not really an issue yet since the aphids haven't had a chance to eat on my plants without getting squished, but I would like to have them eradicated before they do become a serious problem.

Wow great picture of that little sap sucker!! Nikon? 105mm?

I use a squirt of the blue dawn dishsoap and dyna-gro neem oil mixed with water in a pressure sprayer, knocks 'em dead on contact. Gotta keep shaking the solution up though. I tried some organic scentless clear "safe" soap once instead of dawn (can't remember the brand) and all the leaves and aphids were off my plant next day lol. Back to the dawn I went.

yochannontzvi said:
I used imidaclorpid when I got aphids and haven't seen any since :-D Within 10 days, I couldn't find a single aphid. Seems like they stopped eating within a day or two after applying it, too. It just took a few days for them to die, I guess. Don't be afraid of chemicals. Just flush out your soil towards the end of your grow for a week or so if you're the kind that worries about these things. Also, from everything I've read about imidaclorpid, it's very safe to use on plants and is pretty safe for humans as long as you handle it properly.
poison is poison.  Remember this, you will invarabley bring these chemicals into your house with your family, your friends, your pets.  Inside there is no sun no rain to breakdown these chemicals.  They will persist, they will accumulate to high levels.  Not to mention the risk to beneficial insects likle pollinators.  While a little bit of one chemical may not be enough to cause noticeable harm you are exsposed to hundreds of chemicals a day whose interactions have never been studied. 
"Don't be afraid of chemicals."  - scariest thing i can think of, and a $104 billion organic food industry tells me Im not alone.

Topsmoke said:
poison is poison.  Remember this, you will invarabley bring these chemicals into your house with your family, your friends, your pets.  Inside there is no sun no rain to breakdown these chemicals.  They will persist, they will accumulate to high levels.  Not to mention the risk to beneficial insects likle pollinators.  While a little bit of one chemical may not be enough to cause noticeable harm you are exsposed to hundreds of chemicals a day whose interactions have never been studied. 
"Don't be afraid of chemicals."  - scariest thing i can think of, and a $104 billion organic food industry tells me Im not alone.

1. Poison for one is not poison for another. It can harm a bug quite readily, but, you are not a bug. It takes so much of it to kill you, you're more likely to go into shock from eating hot peppers before you suffer any damage from being exposed to imidiclorapid. Capsaicin has an LD50 of 161 mg per kilo in male rats. Imidiclorapid has a 450 mg per kilo LD50 in rats.

2. If you're concerned, flush out your soil for the last two weeks or so. That should get rid of the chemical.

3. Seeing as our life spans have increased since the advent of pesticides, I'll take my chances with them when used responsibility.

4. If you actually look at the 104 billion dollar industry for what it's worth in its weight of conventional food, it'd probably be more like 25 billion dollars. Organic food is an overpriced sham directed at the superstitious. With the money many people spend on organic food, they could have used the money to invest wisely or buy a gym membership so they won't get fat and have to worry about health issues in the first place.

Sorry, I had to rant.

yochannontzvi said:

1. Poison for one is not poison for another. It can harm a bug quite readily, but, you are not a bug. It takes so much of it to kill you, you're more likely to go into shock from eating hot peppers before you suffer any damage from being exposed to imidiclorapid. Capsaicin has an LD50 of 161 mg per kilo in male rats. Imidiclorapid has a 450 mg per kilo LD50 in rats.

2. If you're concerned, flush out your soil for the last two weeks or so. That should get rid of the chemical.

3. Seeing as our life spans have increased since the advent of pesticides, I'll take my chances with them when used responsibility.

4. If you actually look at the 104 billion dollar industry for what it's worth in its weight of conventional food, it'd probably be more like 25 billion dollars. Organic food is an overpriced sham directed at the superstitious. With the money many people spend on organic food, they could have used the money to invest wisely or buy a gym membership so they won't get fat and have to worry about health issues in the first place.

Sorry, I had to rant.
"there are none so blind as those who refuse to see"  - end communication.

sevenstrings said:
Wow great picture of that little sap sucker!! Nikon? 105mm?

I use a squirt of the blue dawn dishsoap and dyna-gro neem oil mixed with water in a pressure sprayer, knocks 'em dead on contact. Gotta keep shaking the solution up though. I tried some organic scentless clear "safe" soap once instead of dawn (can't remember the brand) and all the leaves and aphids were off my plant next day lol. Back to the dawn I went.
Canon 5D Mk II and a 90mm Tamron Macro actually. :)

As for my aphids, it's still an ongoing battle. I didn't receive my aphid-fighting stuff(I don't know the name in english  :tear:  ) until monday. I then sprayed the affected plants and they seemed aphid free. A day later I inspected some other plants nearby and saw tons of aphids, I didn't bother with isolation of plants, lesson learned...
So this evening I sprayed all of the plants that could be affected, we'll see how it goes. But so far I'm not seeing any ill effects on the plants due to the aphids.

yochannontzvi said:

Yep that will kick some aphid ass.
I use it also. One spray and you can go aphid-less for months :)

Back