• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

These look like Naga Morich Peppers

Thanks guys. I'm going to hope the plant that started this thread was just an accident--wrong seeds in right labeled packet. That way the second one I have that looks like a Naga Morich would actually be a Naga Morich.

There is the very, very, very, very, very odd chance we might just be seeing that little recessive c. frutescens gene popping up, which might be the equivalent (and please take no offense anyone reading this) of the ginger-haired baby in an asian family.

I'm going to keep the seeds from mine to see what happens (plus I really want to see how hot these little babies are ;))

I also still have some seeds left over from the vendor, and I plan to sow the remainder of them next season, to see if it was a one off seed (or in my case a two-off, since the other Naga plant I have also looks a bit odd and while the pods are 'pendant', it's also pod weight, not genetics based).

Are you going to keep seeds of this 'anomaly', Patrick?

I thought of that too Aji, being the one in a million seed that the recessive genes take over. Thing is there are two of those plants in the pot. These are the twins I referred to in my grow log. So that would mean I have two of those one in a million seeds.

I gave away the rest of the seeds in the packet or the plants that I started with them with the exception of the three I kept. Wish I could remember who got them I'd give them a heads up.

I've got some tulle wrapped around a few pods to hopefully keep the seeds harvested from this plant pure. I'll plant a couple next year just to see what happens.

If its a jolokia its a pc1. The funny part if ya dig a little on the net, the naga jolokia/naga morich/bhut jolokia/dorset naga are named so and are c chinese, while there is one that is a jolokia pc1 that is a frutensce(sp). Here is a pic of a verified jolokia pc1. The pc1 doesn't have the naga name before it but is often called a naga because of it having the jolokia name and coming from the same areas.

POTAWIE said:
Like every chile we know, the Bhut was a hybrid at one point, but Its apparently been stable for many years

Not really true, technically a hybrid is a cross between two different species even though the word is sometimes used for crosses between cultivars. That being said, not all cultivars are the result of a cross but rather selective breeding much like different breeds of dogs.

The way I see it, as long as the parent plants are genetically different then they will hybridize. Do you have a more proper word for interspecies hybridization?

So most of the thousands of seeds out there labelled as hybrids are really just crossbreeds and not really hybrids?

Being the bookworm that I am (or would that be book pepper?), I decided to contact Prof. Paul Bosland (of the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute), a man of much pepperish, peppered, nay! peppery sage wisdom and the writer of the article I mentioned above and asked him about our (Patricks' and I) strange peppers. The reply was:

'I visited the site with your photos of Naga Morich. The pods in the pictures labeled Naga Morich look typical for the variety. Cross-pollination is a possibility. The Jolokias are like landraces, and have some natural variation. The pods of the jolokias do have a unique skin texture. It is "rough." Your pods have that trait. So, it seems you have the correct variety.'

So we do have Nagas, possibly though not certainly cross-pollinated, which may have developed some slight variations from the norm.

Yay for knowledge! :onfire:

Fiery Knowledge! :hell:

And a big 'thank you' to Prof. Bosland for the information! :)

(this is much more exciting than my 'real' job...:oops:)

POTAWIE said:
So most of the thousands of seeds out there labelled as hybrids are really just crossbreeds and not really hybrids?

Yes. Don't ask me why 'hybrid' is used for plants when 'cross' or 'crossbreed' is perfectly acceptable for dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cows and other animals. And if you are right there still are thousands of mislabeled seeds:)

Way to go Aji!! In touch with the man himself.

Just so I know what the heck I think I know did he say our "oddball" peppers that are producing erect pods are Naga's?

Thanks for the help man!

I'll just stick with using the term hybrid the way all the seed companies and breeders do.

Nice to see you got a good reponse Aji Chombo

Aji Chombo said:
Being the bookworm that I am (or would that be book pepper?), I decided to contact Prof. Paul Bosland (of the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute), a man of much pepperish, peppered, nay! peppery sage wisdom and the writer of the article I mentioned above and asked him about our (Patricks' and I) strange peppers. The reply was:

'I visited the site with your photos of Naga Morich. The pods in the pictures labeled Naga Morich look typical for the variety. Cross-pollination is a possibility. The Jolokias are like landraces, and have some natural variation. The pods of the jolokias do have a unique skin texture. It is "rough." Your pods have that trait. So, it seems you have the correct variety.'

So we do have Nagas, possibly though not certainly cross-pollinated, which may have developed some slight variations from the norm.

Yay for knowledge! :onfire:

Fiery Knowledge! :hell:

And a big 'thank you' to Prof. Bosland for the information! :)

(this is much more exciting than my 'real' job...:oops:)

But this makes no reference to the first pic patrick posted, which is a smooth erect pepper that resembles a tabasco, while the other 2 resemble a real naga with the rough skin. And to say these are correct because they have the trait of having the rough skin, that would mean some of the trinidad scorpions and 7 pod/pot peppers could be labeled as nagas/bhuts. I could be wrong, but that is what I read into on this.

MrArboc said:
Yes. Don't ask me why 'hybrid' is used for plants when 'cross' or 'crossbreed' is perfectly acceptable for dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cows and other animals. And if you are right there still are thousands of mislabeled seeds:)

Would they be 'landraces'?

patrick said:
Way to go Aji!! In touch with the man himself.

Just so I know what the heck I think I know did he say our "oddball" peppers that are producing erect pods are Naga's?

Thanks for the help man!

As far as I could tell from his e-mail, the answer is yes.

rds040800 said:
But this makes no reference to the first pic patrick posted, which is a smooth erect pepper that resembles a tabasco, while the other 2 resemble a real naga with the rough skin.

Patricks pods, if I'm correct, have only just formed. When mine formed they were equally small, upright and relatively smooth, like a Tabasco (and like Patricks). They dropped and got very wrinkly as the weight of the pods forced them to.

Do you have any updated photos of the pods, Patrick? Have the pods gotten any larger?

rds040800 said:
And to say these are correct because they have the trait of having the rough skin, that would mean some of the trinidad scorpions and 7 pod/pot peppers could be labeled as nagas/bhuts. I could be wrong, but that is what I read into on this.

That would make a great question to ask the Chile Pepper Institute!;)

POTAWIE said:
I'll just stick with using the term hybrid the way all the seed companies and breeders do.

Nice to see you got a good reponse Aji Chombo

Ta' very much.:)

Is there a difference in the language used by academics versus practicioners?

Just got back from a short vacation, give me a little time to get caught up with things and I'll post some new pics.

Here is an updated pick of the questionable Naga Morich. You can see with a bit of weight they begin to sag a little. Still most of them are growing upright.

IMG_6044rre.jpg

This is a Naga Morich that I am pretty sure is the real deal.

IMG_6048re.jpg

Back