• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor They kinda taste the same

This is some type of heresy I'm sure, but after recently tasting fatalii and scotch brains, and having enjoyed datils for years.. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in these peppers in a blind taste test.

Anyone else have the same experience? What should I be looking for tastewise to differentiate them.

Have the same experience? No. I adore the flavor of fatalii - adore. For me, there's a huge difference between the fatalii flavor and (not sure if you meant a scotch bonnet crossed with a brain strain or if what is there is unintentional) brain strain and scotch bonnets. 

But here's a question for you - can you tell the difference between, say, 1/2% milk, 2% milk, and whole milk? Not everyone can, but I can. Lots of people can, so I'm not exceptional in that. But lots of people cannot tell a difference between those types of milk. Similarly, not everyone can taste the differences in various chiles. 

I think it is too hard to explain a flavor difference, given that we all experience tastes differently. Better to try a lot of different chile types and decide for yourself how they taste to you and whether you like them or not. Besides, trying a whole lot of different chile types is a lot of fun!

I've seen chefs blindfolded and given food like chicken and they'll think they're eating a mushroom, or given a strawberry and they say pineapple... it's not uncommon... sight, smell, and perception from said, play a huge role...

I haven´t ever sampled Scotch Brains or Datils, but i´ve eaten hundreds of Fataliis and i think a lot of this stuff is a matter of perception.  If I had to, I could somewhat convincingly argue that yellow chinense of a given heat level all basically taste pretty much the same, and i believe that to be the truth, if you´re of a certain mindstate where you prefer to explore similarities. However, i could also argue that, even if the existing differences between these varieties may be small, they´re also significant and worthy of note. And, again, i believe that to be true and it is, in fact, the reason why i grow and eat multiple types of arguably similar chiles. 

I think that the secret to understanding chile flavor profiles and, possibly, ALL of the finer things in life is to become adept at exploring both the similarities and the differences between different examples of the stuff we´re into.  The ol´ ¨compare and contrast¨ schtick from primary school....   

I think i can tell the difference and Fatalii is my favorite pepper by far.
Having said that, i was at a restuarant where they had some hot stuff. I tasted a chinense fairly hot in the sauce, but I had no idea what specific pepper it was. Could have been fatalii, could have been 7 pot or even a hot hab.
Im pretty much agreeing with bicycle on this one.

geeme said:
not sure if you meant a scotch bonnet crossed with a brain strain or if what is there is unintentional) brain strain and scotch bonnets. 
I meant to say bad brains. I've got so many seeds and plants at this point it's a bit of a jumble!

These varieties are all yellow chinenses.. so to me they taste (1) hot (2) fruity (3) a touch sweet.

Bhuter said:
I love Bad Brains, Boss! And I think the Bad Brains pepper is a Wes Lane accidental cross. Fatalii as a possible parent. Could be Fatalii x Yellow Brainstrain. Maybe that's why those have similar flavors?
Well heck... That explains a lot. The bad brains even looks a lot like the fatalii. Thanks Bhuter!

Just ate one on a sammich a few minutes ago. My lips are still tingling!

Datil peppers have a most unique taste to me unlike all other yellow Chinense varieties.  I'm growing some this year from seed that came from Minorca, Spain and I'm really looking forward to making Datil sauce.

Wes told me that Bad Brains is an unknown cross into his Yellow Brain Strain. He stated it could have been a Bhut, but really didn't know. Since he didn't mention Fatalii as a possible cross, it probably isn't.

Bad Brains and Scotch Brains are among my favorite yellow peppers.

I also really like Fatalii and prefer them much more than Datil.

It sounds like you've had some of the really good fruity and citrusy tastes.  You need to try something really floral then, like a (good) Trinidad scorpion or a devil's brain.  Then, try a good baccatum and pubescens.  Then try something smoky, like a chocolate hab.  They all taste different (well, really smell).

I'll be able to weigh in on this with more yellow chinense experience this year. I have Fatalii, Scotch Brains, Yellow 7 pot, Yellow Brain Strain, WCS Scotch Bonnets and WHP Scotch Bonnets growing. 

I can taste a rather large difference between Scotch Brain and Scotch Bonnet but the memory of the differences has faded since it was a year ago. 

Winegums said:
I'll be able to weigh in on this with more yellow chinense experience this year. I have Fatalii, Scotch Brains, Yellow 7 pot, Yellow Brain Strain, WCS Scotch Bonnets and WHP Scotch Bonnets growing. 

I can taste a rather large difference between Scotch Brain and Scotch Bonnet but the memory of the differences has faded since it was a year ago. 
WCS Scotch Bonnets??

Back