They look great, but...

My plants are all looking great. Healthy, bushy and green. But, my none of them are growing any taller. They are all between 8-12" tall and instead of growing tall, they are just bushing out like mad. Especially inner growth. They have been this height for the past month. What the heck?!

ed83e98d-7641-47fc-bc09-bc84538c3bba.jpg

b9519613-8227-4095-b6dd-ec218c837367.jpg

Nothing to be concerned about.  They are putting out more nodes, which gives potential for more peppers.  Be happy they are staying compact.  They'll have a thicker stem which will allow them to hold more pods and will give greater durability against wind.  Your plants are doing naturally, what most people hope to accomplish by topping their plants.

Same. I guess they are mainly developing roots, especially if you moved them to these bigger pots a month ago.

if it were me i would trim some of those 5" monster leaves to let the new growth come in stronger, hopefully new branches.

Plant size is usually a function of container size, have you pulled the plant and looked at its root system? root bound? edit: looks like they are in pretty big containers..

have you given them lots of nutes?

What is that?  Some form of Habanero, or higher up on the Scoville scale?

My Habaneros look like that (and have been growing like that) whereas my Serranos and Jalapenos shot straight up and are only now starting to bush out a little bit further down on the stem.

Yep - I planted some bhut seeds very early - on 15 december 2013 - and until about 2 weeks ago they were in that phase yours are in. Then I turned my back for a couple days and they've built a "second storey" of leaves up above, and now are going crazy and looking tree-like. 

True, my annuums are quite a bit leggier, but far from massive. My Aji Limon plants are turning into beasts. They are as bushy as the Chinese and as tall as the annuums.

The ones in the pics, without going out and checking, should be a Caribbean Red or Red Savina and a Fatalii.

Definitely not a pot size issue yet. They are in 10" pots right now, so they have plenty of room left to grow before moving up to 15-20" pots. They have been getting Fish Emulsion every other week and some Epsom salt sprayed on them on off weeks. I have thought about trimming a few of the bigger leaves to get more light to the inner leaves, but pruning has always freaked me out, even though I know it shouldn't. I about cried the first time I topped a plant.

So far all have been putting out flowers, but I have been picking them off so they can have some extra veg time.

They do have some rather thick stems for their size. I did top a few of the larger ones a couple weeks ago.

Worst comes to worse, they have a jump start on next year. I am overwintering all my Chinese varieties.

My habanero did this as well. It wasn't growing for a LONG time, but then after a while I just saw leaves and more branches coming out of the bottom. It's been growing outward like a bunch, but the main stalk has got a lot thicker (maybe twice as thick as it was, but my plant is only about 8-10 inches tall...so that isn't saying much) and it's starting to shoot up now! Patience is the key with these superhots I guess.

here is one of my moruga plants which are what most of my super hots look like right now.

Attachments

• moruga.jpg
    moruga.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 48
OKGrowin said:
if it were me i would trim some of those 5" monster leaves to let the new growth come in stronger, hopefully new branches.

Plant size is usually a function of container size, have you pulled the plant and looked at its root system? root bound? edit: looks like they are in pretty big containers..

have you given them lots of nutes?

I second this. Trim the giant fan leaves off and some of the lower leaves and stems. The plant will grow upward with new vigor. Although some plants seem to naturally grow like this no matter what you do like my fatali.

A couple of my reapers have done this as well.  I am not sure if its the pot size, cause the other are planted inthe exact same pots and they grew upwards... some of mine just want to stay close to the ground i guess.  No flowers on any of mine yet.

Back