• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thickening Stems

So I've been reading a lot recently about bonsai and I think it's really something that I could get into. Of course I'd like to do it with my chile plants, but the problem is, not many of my plants have trunks thicker than an inch! Do you think I could still use these for bonchi, or should I try to thicken them up? Is there anyway to do it besides "time"?

p.s. I've read all of the fatalii.net growing guides for bonchi, so those links won't be necessary ;)

The thickening process is part of the growth process, so choose your plant based on its health, not its size. Is there any way to do this besides "time"? The parents of every teenager would like to know another way, too! Sorry - patience is about the only suggestion I can make.

Time and container size. I planted in the ground and had very thick trunks after one season!

this is what you want/need...

IMG_0940.jpg

if you are patient and can overwinter a couple of your "larger" trunked plants, they will get rather large next year...

Back