Think I started my super hots too early

Here is one of mine that I planted on January 2. It is still very short but it is has a very strong stem. As you can see the plant doesn't budge when I hold it sideways. I think the cooler temperatures in the basement helped to make them stronger.

March212014_zps6297508f.jpg

I wouldn't consider those to big at all. The bigger they are the better off you will be once you put them outside! Heck i have 20 big overwintering buckets and a bunch of seedlings i planted in december and November.. There's even 3 or 4 i planted in may last year that have never even seen the light of day yet. They have been pruned a few times but should turn into monsters soon after being put out. The bigger the better in my opinion.

smileyguy697 said:
I wouldn't consider those to big at all. The bigger they are the better off you will be once you put them outside! Heck i have 20 big overwintering buckets and a bunch of seedlings i planted in december and November.. There's even 3 or 4 i planted in may last year that have never even seen the light of day yet. They have been pruned a few times but should turn into monsters soon after being put out. The bigger the better in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly! I'm hoping to overwinter about the same number of whatever turn out to be my favs and only grow new varieties from seed + jalaps. Rather be flowering from day one with the short season up here.

And sweet ok I don't feel like I'm too far behind now, thanks for the pics! Glad I have the strong lights and warm temps I think they're helping me catch up from my set back.

smileyguy697 said:
how about now?

Damn it!! All is lost............

Haha that thing is massive! I'm going to be using the walmart type of bags this spring as well, just from that pic I'm pleased with the decision.

Honestly this was kept in a small ten inch pot behind my apartment last season. I pruned it and put it under hid.. It finally got to the wally bag about a month ago and was placed under the 1000 watt hps.

Still a good jump for next year..

this is my biggest seedling at the moment. It's got till may so I'm sure it'll beef up a little.

CAM02764_zpsbda385bf.jpg

Proud Marine Dad said:
Guess this thread was hijacked. :doh:

How so? Looks like the above posts are discussing the awesomeness of starting early, no?

I say no, you did not start too early and the extra poddage you shall reap will far outweigh (literally ...ha) the wattage used.

SG697 -- that little sprout you got there looks like it'll do just fine this summer. Just fine indeed.

GA Growhead said:
You can never start too early.
You can run out of room though. :D

Yes. Started these seeds on Jan 21st, still 7 weeks to go inside and no clue where the tomatoes will go! Guess I'm growing only hot peppers this year :D

So starting early has definitely resulted in bigger plants. I think temp has the most effect on growth though. These are close to a woodstove that runs 24/7. No reason to start that early again I think, I have bought seedlings before with only a couple sets of true leaves in May, that became large plants and produced well by the first freeze in September. 

Back