thinning plants

I'm very new to growing peppers and looking for advice.  I bought scotch bonnet seeds and planted 3 seeds in peet pellets and now they have sprouted.  My question is should I get rid of 2 of the 3 sprouts and just keep 1 or leave them all and plant a cluster of pepper plants.  They will be planted in pots.

m1hagen said:
I'm very new to growing peppers and looking for advice.  I bought scotch bonnet seeds and planted 3 seeds in peet pellets and now they have sprouted.  My question is should I get rid of 2 of the 3 sprouts and just keep 1 or leave them all and plant a cluster of pepper plants.  They will be planted in pots.

Three sprouts are not that much and seedlings are very fragile. I would advise separating them and planting each one in its own pot. Of course, you can start with small pots that take less space. You can use as pots many types of containers that normally are thrown away, by merely drilling a drainage hole.

When they get larger, you can gift the ones you don't need, or find a nice place and plant them in soil. Or you can just let them outside for anyone who wants them to take them. 

Also, if you keep all three plants and you don't top them or prune them, they will produce faster and since you will have three, in separate containers of sufficient capacity of course, they will produce more.

Furthermore, you can use the extra plants for experimenting with things like hydroponics or aquaponics and have fun while doing citizen-science!

Back