• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

This a hab or a bonnet ?

I thought they were orange habs when I planted them but the pods are coming out quite larger and longer than any orange hab I've ever grown before. This thing is easily 2" long and is getting biggery by the day. I guess I have to wait until it ripens to know the true color since its just green now.

haborbonnetsm.jpg

madhatter said:
Interesting, yeah not an orange hab or bonnet. Were did you get the seeds from SV

The seeds were from what looked like store bought 'Caribbean' hot peppers. They looked all assorted but most were orange habs or so it seemed. I kept the seeds for later use. I dont remember buying anything that looks like the peppers in the pic or anything close. They are mostly the round wrinkly scotch bonnet shape and the odd standard orange habs.

I know so little about peppers, but my knee jerk reaction was fatalii or devil's tongue........any ripening ones yet?

svtcontour said:
The seeds were from what looked like store bought 'Caribbean' hot peppers. They looked all assorted but most were orange habs or so it seemed. I kept the seeds for later use. I dont remember buying anything that looks like the peppers in the pic or anything close. They are mostly the round wrinkly scotch bonnet shape and the odd standard orange habs.

So the seed came from a store bought chile? Then it most likely a cross.

MrArboc said:
So the seed came from a store bought chile? Then it most likely a cross.

Ya store bought ones, but nothing like this. So is it possible for the seed of a pepper to be different than the actual pepper it came from? I'm not sure how crosses work in peppers.

svtcontour said:
Ya store bought ones, but nothing like this. So is it possible for the seed of a pepper to be different than the actual pepper it came from? I'm not sure how crosses work in peppers.

Yes. Think how it works with dogs... A female Labrador retriever mates with a male German shepherd. She has seed... puppies that are crosses, but the bitch is still a Labrador. Same with chiles - you only see the cross in the offspring.

MrArboc said:
Yes. Think how it works with dogs... A female Labrador retriever mates with a male German shepherd. She has seed... puppies that are crosses, but the bitch is still a Labrador. Same with chiles - you only see the cross in the offspring.

But wasnt the offspring the peppers which I had purchased from the grocery store? Or is the offspring considered the seeds which are inside that pepper? I'm confused. LOL.

svtcontour said:
But wasnt the offspring the peppers which I had purchased from the grocery store? Or is the offspring considered the seeds which are inside that pepper? I'm confused. LOL.

The seeds are the offspring and the only point of the fruit/berry from the plants "point of view". The chile is just the ovary carrying the babies.

When you cross, all the seeds in the pod will be diff then the plant it come from. The pod is self looks normal. But when you plant those seeds that comes from a pod that is cross pollinated, you will get diff "plants/shapes on pods" results from every seed.

The pod you bought was likely a hybrid(f1) so if you grow the seeds you will be growing an f2 cross and every seed will likely grow different looking plant/pods.
Edit: Or the pod could have been recently knocked up by its neighbour making it an f1 cross

POTAWIE said:
The pod you bought was likely a hybrid(f1) so if you grow the seeds you will be growing an f2 cross and every seed will likely grow different looking plant/pods.
Edit: Or the pod could have been recently knocked up by its neighbour making it an f1 cross

Ah Ok its making sense ... Hmm I wonder if it could have gotten knocked up. I also have a flowering Bhut.

MrArboc said:
The seeds are the offspring and the only point of the fruit/berry from the plants "point of view". The chile is just the ovary carrying the babies.
Ok so thats how it works. I didnt realize the pod was more like a womb than anything else. Tasty womb :) LOL.

Back