• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This damage showed up today on one plant-what is it??

So today I get home from work and find this damage on one of my datils. They're tiny enough, they don't need anymore help dying.

clUepde.jpg

What's causing this so I can fix it or stop it from spreading? I can not find any bugs or worms on the plant, but it doesn't mean they aren't there. The spots in the leaves are transparent, like all the green got sucked out.

Looks like sun scald to me. Those first leaves most likely weren't use to the suns rays. The new growth should be more resistant to the harsh summer sun. If it continues to happen you should consider 40% shade cloth.

That's definitely not sunscald.  Sunscald on leaves makes the plants turn white like a ghost, but doesn't produce any transparent spots.  The appearance of the leaf will be pale and chalky.  And it usually claims entire leaves.
It's kinda rare to get sunscald on leaves. (fruit is another story)  Leaf sunscald is very common with plants that have been transferred from indoor growrooms to outdoors.

Looks a lot like what my plants had a few weeks ago. Their indoor conditions were sub-optimal and hardening-off was rushed. Seemed to affect some varieties more than others. Didn't notice any pest and the problem resolved itself not long after (new growth, old leaves dropped).

Also, your plant looks a bit undeveloped to me, having been in full sun for 2 months. Even my C. chinenses had faster growth.

Totally new grower here, please take what I say with two grains of salt.

Examples of sunscald on leaves:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/leaf-scald-in-plants.htm
https://ask.extension.org/questions/399814
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2096877/hardening-off-sunburn
https://utahpests.usu.edu/uppdl/recent-pests/2011/dis-july-2011
The OP's picture shows what sunscald might look like on the fruit.  But it  looks entirely different on the leaves.
The pest may not be insect.  It may be snail, or even bacterial.  If it's bacterial, it might just be some minor damage that spread. But I'm guessing that if the plant gets growing optimally, it will completely shed those leaves, and put the issue behind it. 

Is it possible that some water droplets were left on the leaves and the suns rays were magnified causing scorched/scalded areas?

solid7 said:

I've seen such damage contributed to sunburn multiple times. I've also read that the water on leaves causing sunburn is a myth, but didn't research it too much. Would you say this holds for LED as well? Likely, but I've seen some senior members of this forum claim it's true. I'd like to hear your educated opinion on it. I appreciate your contribution to this site, your answers always seem researched and well-founded.

Here is an example of what I've meant by similar damage:
https://youshouldgrow.com/tomato-leaf-problems/
Look under "YELLOW LEAVES WITH BROWN SPOTS, MOTTLED, OR DAPPLED APPEARANCE"

I've also assumed it could be a bacterial/viral infection, as it occurred during the plant's weakened state (in my case).

bongcloud said:
I've seen such damage contributed to sunburn multiple times. I've also read that the water on leaves causing sunburn is a myth, but didn't research it too much. Would you say this holds for LED as well? Likely, but I've seen some senior members of this forum claim it's true. I'd like to hear your educated opinion on it. I appreciate your contribution to this site, your answers always seem researched and well-founded.
Yes, it's common for many experienced growers to perpetuate misinformation. Misinformation is everywhere. It's why we have resources like that to help show us otherwise.
I used to own an engineering design firm. We had a client once who wanted to design a series of weights inside of an automobile wheel, that would "throw" outwards, when the car began rolling. His idea was that it would generate "momentum" for the vehicle, thus adding efficiency in various different manners. When we consulted him, and explained that his physics were 100% wrong, and indeed, the opposite of what would actually happen, his reply was, "but I just know that it's going to work." I convinced him to hire an hour with a $110/hr professional engineer, to explain it in even more detail, he agreed, on the premise that that fee would be money well spent, if it prevented him from making a foolish, larger investment, in something that didn't work. After the appointment, which I silently attended, and which was very well represented by the engineer, he thanked us, and said, "I hear everything that you're saying, and I know that you guys know what you're talking about - but my idea will work - I just KNOW it will". Mind you, he had no experience or education in physics, but he had an almost Christ-like belief in his idea. We made one last attempt to convince him. We told him to go tie some weights to the end of a lawnmower blade, and see what happens when it gets up to speed. Again, he proclaimed his belief in his idea, and we told him that we could not, in good conscience, take his money, for such a ridiculous pursuit.
The point being - when somebody really believes in their own ideas and perceived experiences, you will not remove that idea from circulation, no matter how stupid, false, or bizarre, it may be.
On another note - if there were even a modicum of truth to this idea, I'd never have peppers. I live in an area that rains almost every day from June to November, and then the sun comes out at full force. Logically, if this were true, my plants would always be full of holes. 

bongcloud said:
I've also assumed it could be a bacterial/viral infection, as it occurred during the plant's weakened state (in my case).
That is exactly my assumption. It could have been small damage started by a pest, or mechanical damage from heavy wind, etc. But 9 times out of 10, when I see that, if the plant is otherwise healthy, it just works through it. ;)

@solid7 Thanks for that anecdote! Hope you don't mind if I use it in the future. :P
I wonder if there's some causality still, perhaps with water being a desirable nesting place for all sorts of nasties, with sunlight having an effect on the process. I'll look into it more when time allows.

By the way, nice username. :D

WolframMalukker said:
So today I get home from work and find this damage on one of my datils. They're tiny enough, they don't need anymore help dying.

What's causing this so I can fix it or stop it from spreading? I can not find any bugs or worms on the plant, but it doesn't mean they aren't there. The spots in the leaves are transparent, like all the green got sucked out.

You know, this is a stretch, but it almost looks like something caustic was splashed on it.  Are there any tomcats or other un-neutered male animals (4-legged or otherwise) roaming around?  Maybe marking their territory?  Or some other sort of chemical splashed it.  A stray tomcat backed up to my new Napoleon grill and sprayed one of the cabinet doors.  He's memorialized on that door forever.  it's permanently etched whatever the stainless finish is.

Chili said:
I believe in science no doubt. I'm still more inclined to say it's a burn of some sort.

OK. Maybe you're some kind of right.  Probably still doesn't matter if either of us is right, as I think we both can probably agree that this plant will outgrow that damage, if the OP takes good care of the overall plant health.

Seems like a pretty healthy middle ground, don't you think?

bongcloud said:
@solid7 Thanks for that anecdote! Hope you don't mind if I use it in the future. :P
I wonder if there's some causality still, perhaps with water being a desirable nesting place for all sorts of nasties, with sunlight having an effect on the process. I'll look into it more when time allows.

By the way, nice username. :D

You can use that anecdote any time you like.  In fact, you should have at least one of your own to add to it, if you've lived any amount of time. ;)

My username probably doesn't mean what you think it does, btw.  :scared:   

Back