• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

This was a bizarre year for growing

None of my super hots have peppers on them yet and I started the seeds in February I believe.
This summer weather was the strangest I can remember. None of the peppers have done that well and the tomatoes are not that great either.
Oh well, next year........if we get any rain. Our drought is bad!

I think it's been weird all across our country..all my friends that are gardeners and I have a few in a few different states have been saying the same thing..I can certainly say we have had the craziest summer here in Michigan that's for sure..my tomatoes have produced differently as well..I'm use to getting a sheeit ton....not even close this year..

This year was a lot different than last year in so many ways.  Last year I was pulling pretty good harvests all during august, and not so much so far.  This year we had a lot more heat (for us anyway) than normal and all my plants seems to really take their time.  Droped a lot of flowers, etc.  But in the past 3-4 weeks now that the nights are getting cooler, the number and size of pods has really jumped.  I can only figure it is due to the cooler nights, as we have had some high temps still during the days.  All I know is that I have a lot of plants podding up real nice now and they are really going through the water.

Just a lot different than the past few years of growing them.

Jamison said:
Do you strictly use rain water for plants? I don't understand the drought part of your rant. Humidity?
I used some rain water in the beginning but its been mostly tap water. What I meant was if we have a drought again this season I may not be growing peppers next spring.
HopsNBarley said:
Do you grow in containers or in ground?
Maybe you should try a better soil or amend your current one
Containers only and the soil in them is as good as I can make it.

Jamison said:
Do you strictly use rain water for plants? I don't understand the drought part of your rant. Humidity?

HopsNBarley said:
Do you grow in containers or in ground?
Maybe you should try a better soil or amend your current one

California's current drought is the third worst the state has had in more than 100 years and the state is under a drought emergency - this has been in the news. For the third year in a row, the state is largely using water pumped from underground aquifers, which may be causing more damage than is realized. On the other hand, here we've been having a very cold, wet summer - I never really put away my winter clothes as I've needed long sleeves and even a light jacket at times. The weather is impacting our insect population - we normally have tons of predatory red mites that keep the harmful mites in check, but not this year. I've also noticed a huge reduction in "buzzy things" - wasps, yellow jackets, and even bees. I have huge russian sage plants in my front yard, and they're usually teaming with buzzy things - it's kind of cool to sit on the front step and watch them gathering nectar. But no such scene this year. The buzzy things are also very attracted to the tree on my tree lawn when it's in bloom - if you walk underneath it, you can hear the humming quite easily and will find a few dead ones on the ground from where they got into a fight. Not this year - it's blooming right now, but no hum is to be heard. Rather erie. 

Proud Marine Dad said:
None of my super hots have peppers on them yet and I started the seeds in February I believe.
This summer weather was the strangest I can remember. None of the peppers have done that well and the tomatoes are not that great either.
Oh well, next year........if we get any rain. Our drought is bad!
Well if you considered some cal-mag instead of the cure all kelp maybe things might be different... :P  sorry I could not help it, j/k. Hope it turns around and you see some nice pods soon.

AaronTT said:
Well if you considered some cal-mag instead of the cure all kelp maybe things might be different... :P  sorry I could not help it, j/k. Hope it turns around and you see some nice pods soon.
Thanks for the damn good laugh my friend! Cal-Mag! ROFLMAO!
Call me crazy but this made me literally laugh out loud as I hear this mantra all the time in the organic cannabis forum. Cal-Mag will even cure ALS and cancer I believe. :rofl:

Proud Marine Dad said:
I used some rain water in the beginning but its been mostly tap water. What I meant was if we have a drought again this season I may not be growing peppers next spring.

Containers only and the soil in them is as good as I can make it.
 Record highs here in southern Oregon.  Many days over 100F.  Pod production exceeded last season.  Maybe the weather isn't the blame?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Thanks for the damn good laugh my friend! Cal-Mag! ROFLMAO!
Call me crazy but this made me literally laugh out loud as I hear this mantra all the time in the organic cannabis forum. Cal-Mag will even cure ALS and cancer I believe. :rofl:

And don't forget a sprinkle of Miracle Grow blue crystals!  I'll send you some (in a plain brown envelope!) if you're too embarrassed to be seen purchasing this morally dubious product in public.   :P  

Roguejim said:
 Record highs here in southern Oregon.  Many days over 100F.  Pod production exceeded last season.  Maybe the weather isn't the blame?
It would have to be the weather Jim as the soil is fantastic. Our weather has been up and down most of the summer as that monsoon kept coming through.
Things have settled now with temps in the low to mid 80's now.

FWIW, none of my supers have produced anything edible so far this year. The plants grow fairly well (if not nearly as vigorously as the traditional SW varieties), but the heat seems to put a big damper on the flowering.  Several plants did produce buds during the cooler monsoon period that is now coming to an end, and I have a few small super pods in the works.  I hope that as the temps subside from 100+ in a few weeks, they will continue to set fruit.  

Keep 'em happy and growing, and hope the cooler weather puts them in the mood...  

Geonerd said:
FWIW, none of my supers have produced anything edible so far this year. The plants grow fairly well (if not nearly as vigorously as the traditional SW varieties), but the heat seems to put a big damper on the flowering.  Several plants did produce buds during the cooler monsoon period that is now coming to an end, and I have a few small super pods in the works.  I hope that as the temps subside from 100+ in a few weeks, they will continue to set fruit.  

Keep 'em happy and growing, and hope the cooler weather puts them in the mood...  
Yes you definitely have some brutal heat in your state my friend. My wife's brother and his family live near Luke AFB outside of Phoenix and it is HOT there! :fireball:

Mine are definitely behind. I think it's partly because I moved to a new state. Late July through August 15th were much hotter than I'm accustomed to. I ended up getting a sunshade in late July because the plants were stressed. Next year, I'll have it in place by late June. Also, while I started most in late January, I kept the plants in 4 inch pots too long due to the move. I think that stunted their growth for a while.

... but things are showing life now and really starting to pod up. I super nice September could still make it a great year.

Back