• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thought I was a badass. I stand corrected.

I have a Trinidad Moruga scorpion plant whose pods are just now turning red.  My main plan is to use them for sauce in a recipe where I roast them on cast iron.  Since I only have one plant with a few ripening at a time I have to roast in small batches and put them in the freezer until I have enough to make a batch.

Yesterday I roasted a few and after they cooled was de-stemming them.  One stem came off with a small piece of pepper and a few seeds stuck to it.  It was maybe a centimeter square.  Thinking "it's cooked, how hot could it be?" I casually bit the piece off the stem and started chewing.

The heat hit me pretty quick, but it wasn't all that bad at first.  I ate a piece of bread and feta to cut it down to size and waited for it to pass.

But the real trouble happened after about 15 minutes when those seeds started simmering in my gut.  I began to experience fierce stabbing pains that felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach with a rusty, serrated bread knife.  Soon I was kneeling in front of the porcelain.

I thought I was a badass because I could drip a few drops of reaper sauce (in a vinegar/lime juice base) on my rice and enjoy it.  I hereby relinquish that title.

Holy shit.

Even a 70% sauce is nothing compared to the peppers that go into it. Don't think you can handle even Ghost Peppers just because a bit of Reaper sauce goes down well. I've made that mistake before now.

D3monic said:
Lol, reminds me of an idiot coworker who was bragging that he's had "ghost peppers" (que wendys "ghost pepper fries") he took a bite of a aji omni color which was legit the mildest pepper I brought to work. He acted like he was dying for 20 minutes. 

i love it !   done that with a few idiots at work also , till they ate a  bbg x moruga , the guy went outside the plant and puked . so much for he can eat hot peppers !  had a few that way ,    :rofl:  :rofl:

We have a chili cook-off every year at work. My boss and I planned to spike the chili we made with the harvest of peppers we grew. The chili caught many people off guard some people had mild panick attacks from the stinging pain (pussies).

I'm thinking about getting some pure evil from SL for this year's cook off.

I never trick anyone into eating anything super-hot.  I warn them several times over about the heat. I explain the mouth and throat burn, the possible capsaicin cramps and the painful exit. I let them know that is just may fuck up the rest of their day. I really emphasize to them that this is waaaaay out of the ballpark compared to anything you have ever eaten. I think that telling them all of that just makes them want to eat it even more. 
Every year at church we have a chili cook-off. Besides all the usual warnings I also make them sign a waiver. Also, no kids unless a parent signs. 

But yeah, I have met a lot of people who thought they were bad ass and could handle the Carolina Reaper. I personally haven't met anyone yet. Myself included. The only whole super-hot pods that I have ever eaten was a red ghost and a Butch T. Just yesterday I chewed a Carolina Reaper for 30 seconds on a bet but I didn't actually swallow that one.

Badass......I think we've all been there and have been proven otherwise. 

CAPCOM said:
Man, you guys have all the fun.
Everyone at my work runs from me when I bring in peppers. I cant even get them to try little pieces.

You must work with smart people!

President Trump said:
I never trick anyone into eating anything super-hot.  I warn them several times over about the heat. I explain the mouth and throat burn, the possible capsaicin cramps and the painful exit. I let them know that is just may f**k up the rest of their day. I really emphasize to them that this is waaaaay out of the ballpark compared to anything you have ever eaten. I think that telling them all of that just makes them want to eat it even more. 
Every year at church we have a chili cook-off. Besides all the usual warnings I also make them sign a waiver. Also, no kids unless a parent signs. 

But yeah, I have met a lot of people who thought they were bad ass and could handle the Carolina Reaper. I personally haven't met anyone yet. Myself included. The only whole super-hot pods that I have ever eaten was a red ghost and a Butch T. Just yesterday I chewed a Carolina Reaper for 30 seconds on a bet but I didn't actually swallow that one.

Badass......I think we've all been there and have been proven otherwise. 

You must work with smart people!
I work with learn-ed people.

Looooll pretty much the same that happened to me. I ate a lot of spicy food growing up and even had some chili plants so I thought I was a seasoned warrior of spice. Then one day my gf at the time gave me this pepper that her family grew from brazil, just a tiny yellow pepper. I couldn't taste anything for the next 3 days. Totally changed my mind on the world of spice

To the OP, the seeds hold no heat. They reside in the placenta coated with capsaicin but don't actually contain capsaicin inside them.
I have habanero sauces that have more heat then some ghost sauces. For more heat you need more of the peppers. For flavor alone you just need a few.

Justaguy said:
To the OP, the seeds hold no heat. They reside in the placenta coated with capsaicin but don't actually contain capsaicin inside them.
I have habanero sauces that have more heat then some ghost sauces. For more heat you need more of the peppers. For flavor alone you just need a few.

The seeds pick up some heat by being in contact with the placenta but you're right in saying that they have none of their own.

When I first started my job, I heard that my boss loved "spicy" food. I asked him and he said, "hotter than the pits of hell!" Sooo, I brought some homemade Ghost Pepper salsa. He had one bite and acted like he was going to die! Couple weeks later, I brought some chili to share with everybody....NOBODY would even try it, including my "pits of hell" boss! All I got was a huge pot of leftover chili and a resounding "F YOU" from my co workers. Lol

Having said that, I cant eat whole fresh pods anymore either. The burn isnt so bad, but the cap cramps arent even remotely worth it. And having my wife laugh at me while I roll around on the floor like a little bitch isnt particularly enjoyable either.....

I brought in a BBM and cut it into quarters for anyone to try. One of the software engineers can hang, another coworker jumped on it after $5 was thrown into a pool. I repeatedly warned him that this was REALLY hot. "But I get $5 right?" and started chewing.

For about 3 seconds he was OK, then his eyes it up and got wide and a look of "I've made a terrible mistake" washed over his face. Twenty minutes later he's still pouring coffee creamer in his mouth and looks like he's going to die....

Most people just see my peppers now and run. I've burned everyone so bad that even my Bahamian goats aren't trusted to not nuke people.

Back