• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Thoughts on in-ground spacing?

HwyBill

Banned
What do you use, and why?

I'm tentatively thinking of going with 2' centers and 3' rows.

Thoughts?

I've asked a very similar question some time back, and discovered that spacing the plants about 2' apart is plenty within the same row. You can even get away with 1' if you were somewhat cramped for space. As far as row width, 3' rows should be plenty. And shoulder'width between rows should be plety good as well from what I've read on here.

i would say :

Annuum 18 inches,
superhot and chinenses 2.5 to 3 feets

and  for row depends on you when you want to move between pepper...  usuallly make 3 row of annuum at 18 inches and then leave you more space to move between

for chinenses  dual row of pepper 2.5 feet to 3 feets between rows. and at each 2 row of plants leave more space to move (add 1 feet)

Last year i grew roughly 1200 Super Hots in ground here in Florida. Along with about another 5,000 in containers. My spacing on the in ground plants was 4 ft centers, with 4 ft wide rows. It was just about perfect! I dont know the conditions where u are, but here in central Florida, with the right nutes, and right watering schedule, these supers GREW! I barely could walk down the rows to harvest late in the year!

Dont go with too close of rows together...remember u dont want to have to "cut" your way through your plants just to be able to harvest!

Just my Dos Pesos! :D

Dale Baker Jr

I am doing a test this year. A 4 * 4 square foot garden with all chinense and mainly supers...time will tell. That would be 16 total plants in a 4 * 4. 

In my very limited experience, 2' is the minimum for chinense. The ones I have at 2 feet apart are already climbing into each other. The ones I have at 18" and 12" are just a mess now. By the time November comes I'm going to have a hell of a time trying to harvest.

I ended up doing alternating rows of chinenses and annums spaced 3' apart between rows.

For the chinenses, I centered them 2.5' apart, and the annums 2' apart.  This created a staggered pattern for most plants, which will in effect allow more than even 3' in between rows.

I also made sure to start the chinenses on the exterior of the gardem perimeter, which will allow them to be unbounded on at least one side.

Thanks for all of the helpful guidance and advice THPers! :fireball:

I go with 1.5-2 foot centers in my back 300[sup]2[/sup] with a good 3-4 foot walkway now. Come harvest I enjoy crawling to pick.

Had no issues with spacing so figure I'd do the same. Big mistake. Te plant on the left I had to remove due to both plants not growin up.

null_zps038ebff2.jpg

The one I removed in this 5gal is doing fine
null_zps44c8a910.jpg

Plant on the left is the one potted now.

Well I imagine many of the Midwest growers can appreciate this same lament... set many of my plants yesterday (when I could... should have happened like a month ago without the rain) and we got pounded again with substantial storms and significant winds shortly thereafter.

They were strong plants, I hope many of them will survive, but it has been a tumultuous season here for us in Zone 5.

Back