• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thoughts on these peppers, good and bad?

Aloha guys,
 
Here are the peppers I have planted.  normally in 2 pots tho I only plan on growing 1 of most of them.  What are your good or bad thoughts you have on any of these peppers if you tasted them?  Any help you can give would make me very happy as i'd like to know which ones i should focus on bigger pots and which ones to keep in small pots and which I should just not grow so that other peppers can take its place?
 
 
2-10-16
Safeway Jalapeno - 4 -
Juanitos Peppers Scotch Bonnet - 4 - 2-19-16
Hot Portugal Pepper - 2 - 2-21-16
 
2-12-16
#1756 Jalapeno Purple Pepper - 2 -
#1126 Aji Amarillo Pepper - 2 -
#2220 Mulato Isleno Pepper - 2 -
#3753 Negro de Valle Pepper - 2 - 9-21-16
#3750 Gold Spike Pepper - 2 -
 
2-13-16
2391 Yolo Wonder Pepper - 2 -
2035 Aji Habanero Pepper - 2 -
2936 Rocotillo Pepper - 2 -
514 - Fresno Chile - 2 -
3789 Aji Umba Pepper - 2 -
505 Serrano Huasteco Pepper - 2 - 2-20-16
1126 Aji Amarillo Pepper - 2 -
2788 Aji Dulce 1 Pepper - 2 -
3788 Murupi Amarela Pepper - 2 -
3778 Farmers Jalapeno Pepper - 2 - 2-21-16
 
2-17-16
3794 Thai Pepper Purple - 2
1909 Large Red Thick (LRT) Cayenne Pepper - 4
1135 Hot Apple Alma Paprika Pepper - 4
3773 Datil Pepper Red - 2
4006 Aji Delight - 2
4011 Aji Mango Pepper - 2
 
2-19-16 Pepperlovers.com
Cumra Cherry - 1
Jonah's Yellow Brain - 1 (Unlabled)
Aji Peruvian - 2 -
Hot Tomatos - 2 -
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto - 2 -
Aji Amarillo - 4 -
Tomato Pepper - 2
Sulu Adana - 1
Aji Cereza - 2
Aji Melocoton - 2
Mini Rocoto - 2
Stuffing Scotch Bonnet - 2
Yalova Charleston - 2
San Isidro Rocoto - 2
Karaman - 1
Aji Calabaza - 2
Goat Horn - 2
 
THank you ahead of time.  What I have learned is to put the Aji Amarillos in bigger pots (and to grow all 6 because of their flavor)
 
 
EvanWilliams1988 said:
Grow them out and see which ones you like and which ones you don't.

All of your Turkish varieties are solid peppers though.
That is great advice.  I am a newbie so I have to ask, which of them are the Turkish Varieties?  (i've tested a few peppers but never had one of my peppers get fully ripe first before trying.
 
EvanWilliams1988 said:
Yalova Charleston,Sulu Adana,Karaman,Tomato Pepper,Cumra Cherry and Hot Tomatoes.

Turkish annuums are among my favorite peppers.

Most have a very complex flavor.

I'd wait for ripe ones.

Big difference in flavor.
Thank you, I am looking forward to that Sulu Adana & the Yalova Charleston and the Hot Tomatos
 
The MoA Bonnet has a really good, fruity flavor with habanero heat levels. If you got the pure CARDI yellow bonnet seed from Juanitos, that should be a winner. The Aji Calabaza is a nice, sweet, low heat baccatum. I would plan on putting those two in bigger pots for better production, but it really depends on your personal tastes. 
 
BlackFatalii said:
The MoA Bonnet has a really good, fruity flavor with habanero heat levels. If you got the pure CARDI yellow bonnet seed from Juanitos, that should be a winner. The Aji Calabaza is a nice, sweet, low heat baccatum. I would plan on putting those two in bigger pots for better production, but it really depends on your personal tastes. 
What exaclty is the MoA Bonnet?  The Juanitos Yellow Bonnets were a gift from him on Reddit.  Out of the blue he gave out free seeds and I was lucky enough to get them.  I hear really great stuff about his peppers and can't wait to try it.
 
MOA stands for Ministry of Agriculture Jamaica. They selected a pheno of scotch bonnet that they felt was best representative of scotch bonnets in both look and flavor.
 
They are some of the best tasting bonnets that i've had. 
 
as for the aji amarillo I'll recommend staking it. mine got pretty tall and lanky producing large heavy fruits. 
 
Tardis said:
2-12-16
#1756 Jalapeno Purple Pepper - 2 -
#1126 Aji Amarillo Pepper - 2 -
514 - Fresno Chile - 2 -
 
505 Serrano Huasteco Pepper - 2 - 2-20-16
3773 Datil Pepper Red - 2
San Isidro Rocoto - 2
 
 
 
 
I've grown/eaten these and really like them :
#1756 Jalapeno Purple Pepper - 2 -
#1126 Aji Amarillo Pepper - 2 -
514 - Fresno Chile - 2 -
 
I'm also interested in these:
505 Serrano Huasteco Pepper - 2 - 2-20-16
3773 Datil Pepper Red - 2
San Isidro Rocoto - 2
 
Never met a Serrano I didn't like. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
 
I didn't know there was a Red Datil!! How cool is that? I'm not much on orange peppers, but I love Datil. If you don't mind letting me know where you got seeds I'd like to order some for this year!
 
Following a few grows of San Isidro Rocoto this year. I may try to grow one this year in hopes of getting fruit in 2017.
 
Good growing this year. That's a pretty nice list you have.
 
Nice selection. I've always gone from 1 gallon to 3 gallon and then decide if I want to go bigger. 7 gallon works great for most varieties. Even if they're a low growing bush, the size of the root ball helps to determine how many pods you get.
 
Hawaiianero said:
Nice selection. I've always gone from 1 gallon to 3 gallon and then decide if I want to go bigger. 7 gallon works great for most varieties. Even if they're a low growing bush, the size of the root ball helps to determine how many pods you get.
Very good advice the Habaiienoro! The biggest pots I grow are 5 gallon. 5 gallon pots will produce plants big enough for personal consumption IMHO. If I feel like they need to get huge, and produce pods to freeze and cook with year round, I plant in the ground. I have 3 gangster rocoto plants, 5 aji Limo, and 5 aji Amarillo plants that have designated space in the the soil of my garden for just this purpose. The rest get 5 gallon pots.
 
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Very good advice the Habaiienoro! The biggest pots I grow are 5 gallon. 5 gallon pots will produce plants big enough for personal consumption IMHO. If I feel like they need to get huge, and produce pods to freeze and cook with year round, I plant in the ground. I have 3 gangster rocoto plants, 5 aji Limo, and 5 aji Amarillo plants that have designated space in the the soil of my garden for just this purpose. The rest get 5 gallon pots.
I can't wait to try that Aji Amarillo.  I hear such great things (along with advice to stake it)
 
Top