• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

THP Trick or Treat

ALNuVfk.jpg

The idea: 
  • The idea is to have an event, around Halloween, as a Candy/Snack exchange between members. 

Why have this event?:
  • Let's be honest, I see some of the amazing things ya'll post, and I think it would be awesome to experience everyone's take on a spicy snack/candy.   I believe it would help inspire others to branch out into new territory, and I personally have already had so many new recipe ideas simply from looking at everyone's pictures.  

How it would work?:
  • Members send their goods to the Host in a SFRB, and include $6 and a return address label to cover shipping cost for the return goodies. 
  • The Host will store the products shipped to them, in a climate controlled environment, until the event has ended (October 23rd, 2016)
  • When the event has concluded, everyone who has shipped a product to the Host, will be sent back a package containing an equal share of all of the products sent to the Host.  
  •          Example:  The Host receives 10/EA Pieces of product per person, and 10 Folks are participating in the event,  You will receive 1/EA of each type of product sent to the Host.  For a total of 10/EA different items.  

How many folks would participate?:
  • See this is where I hate having to turn folks away, but I can't reasonably see this having more than 12 people, including myself, participating.  I fear that as the first time this goes around it may end up being disorganized, and I would want to keep this simple until all the kinks are worked out, if any.  If this event goes well, it is possible that it may repeat with greater frequency. 

Who can participate?:
  • With how long it can take to try new recipes, and make something you are proud to share, this is a commitment.  If folks start dropping out last minute the event will fall short of what it should accomplish.   I feel that because of this, anyone with less than 3 months of forum time, and less than 150 posts shouldn't be participating.    This can be mitigated if someone can vouch for the individual in question, but this would be the general rule. 
  • I forgot to originally include that this can really only be the Continental US. 

Why post this now?: 
  • Well I know, like myself, many folks would want to test out recipes, and I know that many folks already have ideas for what they want to do with their harvest.   I figure this has the best chance of success if folks have adequate time to prepare for participation.  

What can we make?:
  • ANY CANDY OR SNACK that you want. Hard Candy, Lollipops, Candied peppers, Peanut Brittle, Chile chocolate, Jerky, Jellies, Hot Nuts, Popcorn Seasoning, etc.   The only stipulation is that it has to contain Chile Peppers.  Also, remember that spice is nice, but flavor is king.  Please, don't try to hurt your fellow THP Brothers and Sisters. 

• I know some folks have allergies, and that might be a deal-breaker for you on this event.  I can't personally guarantee that everyone's kitchen is food processing certified and keeps nuts, shellfish, etc. out of the processing area.   So it is probably safer that you do not participate.  

How much should we make?
  • In order for this to all fit in one box, and to keep everyone's costs down ; I think we would all be best served to keep the quantity down to 5-6 pieces per participant or an equivalent amount of whatever you are making.  

The date I am thinking about concluding this event would be on the 23rd of October, 2016.  So that would be the day you had to have your product to the Host.   That is a Sunday, and would allow for everything to be shipped out back to the members who participated the next day, and hopefully be there by that following Friday, the 28th, just in time for Halloween.   

Note1: All packages sent to the Host will need to have their tracking number either posted on this thread or sent via PM.  

Note2:  None of this is set in stone, and part of the reason for posting in advance is to be able to change the event, if needed.  I greatly appreciate any and all input.   

This event will be first come, first serve.  We will start off with 12 people participating, including myself. If there is more interest we will cross that bridge when we get there.     

List of Participants: 
  • SalsaLady (Hard Candy)
  • Rymerpt (Fudge)
  • Vicious Vex  
  • Scuba_Steve
  • Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (Razor Apples)

Edit1: A change was made to the "How would it work?" section, bullet point #1
Edit2: A bullet point was added to the "Who can participate?" section. 

To the Moderators/Admin: I couldn't decide where to put this topic, and I consulted with others before posting.  If this topic is in the incorrect location, please move it and I apologize for the inconvenience.  If this is not allowed by some rule I am unaware, please delete the post, and once again, I apologize for the inconvenience. 

A thought so you dont need a host.  How about do it like a seed train only when you get your box, you put half back and send it down the line?  Then you store the half you took and see how long it takes for the train to come around to you again, then you repeat with that half.  By the end date, eveyone involved has a box with a really large mix.

Yes, my thought is very disorganized too.  I think most candy keeps for a while doesn't it?  Might be a huge problem there.

Have to say I like the idea but my candies are made to last the week maybe two at best ( natural ). Haven't gave a thought of putting perservives in to make them last like store bought and probably never will.

Great idea, already thought of stuff as I was reading. Only concern is to have "reliable" people. :)
Gonna have to start shopping for this .

This was inspired by seed trains, but more as an exchange.  Some Candies do need to be made/eaten fresh like robbyjoe.  I think that would still work.  THe candy/snack has to be to the host by Oct, so as long as it was in the mail (SFRB?) on the Wednesday before, then it would be divvied up Sunday and sent out Monday.

Robbyjoe, would packaging in vacuum bags help or work? 

Knowing the items are candy and snacks which are bulkier than seeds, I was thinking that people would send their goods to the Host in a SFRB, and include $6 and a return address label to cover shipping cost for the return goodies.  Thoughts???

A friend of mine made some really good hard candies with Pure Evil.  I think I'm gonna get the recipe and play around with that.  They were small-ish, about the size of round peppermint candies, so I'd make enough for 5-6 per person at least.

Does anyone make spicy fudge or penuche?  I don't remember ever seeing that.  Chocolates, brownies, cookies, fatalii cheesecake, lots of other desserts...

Also this includes snacks.  beef jerky, spicy nuts...

I'll post up for hard candies, unless someone else want that.

The powder was sent to me. Chocolate just refers to the brown color of the pepper that was dried and then powdered. Fyi

This was inspired by seed trains, but more as an exchange.  Some Candies do need to be made/eaten fresh like robbyjoe.  I think that would still work. 

Robbyjoe, would packaging in vacuum bags help or work?

Also this includes snacks.  beef jerky, spicy nuts...

I'll post up for hard candies

I've never done one of these things and my treats are simple and hot. If you have confidence in me I'll read up and work to be to your standards. This could be a good chance to show how simple and natural taste better.

salsalady said:
This was inspired by seed trains, but more as an exchange.  

Knowing the items are candy and snacks which are bulkier than seeds, I was thinking that people would send their goods to the Host in a SFRB, and include $6 and a return address label to cover shipping cost for the return goodies.  Thoughts???

I'll post up for hard candies, unless someone else want that.

This is ideal.  Originally I was allowing for more flexibility, but I think this will be the best avenue to proceed down. I will amend the post now.  

And that is 1.  

Rymerpt said:
I do a fudge and have people begging for more. I usually use a chocolate scorpian powder with it. Yum!

I want in.

That's two.  

ajdrew said:
A thought so you dont need a host.  How about do it like a seed train only when you get your box, you put half back and send it down the line?  Then you store the half you took and see how long it takes for the train to come around to you again, then you repeat with that half.  By the end date, eveyone involved has a box with a really large mix.

Yes, my thought is very disorganized too.  I think most candy keeps for a while doesn't it?  Might be a huge problem there.
 My main issue with this would be with spoilage, and the more you ship a cosumable the more likely it is to get damaged/lost/stolen/missing/Exposed to elements. 

The last thing I would want is the box getting left on the porch in the rain, and ruin everyone's hard word for the entire event.   

I greatly appreciate the input.   

Good Point!  ^^^

I make a cowboy candy and then dehydrate it.  Have a select few friends who love it, one who loves it till she pukes.  But I am none too sure what the shelf life is. 

I would be interested! No clue what I will make yet, but it will be yummy!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Oh, and I agree... A central host is the best plan for something like this.

ajdrew said:
I make a cowboy candy and then dehydrate it.  Have a select few friends who love it, one who loves it till she pukes.  But I am none too sure what the shelf life is. 
I imagine that you would be able to keep it for quite a while if you are dehydrating it like you dehydrate peppers for preservation.  Maybe they would have to be made thinner to allow for better moisture reduction, but I'm not familiar with dehydrating candied peppers so I would take that with a grain of salt.  

Scuba_Steve said:
I would be interested! No clue what I will make yet, but it will be yummy!

Oh, and I agree... A central host is the best plan for something like this.

That is #4 - Unless you are just showing interest.  I don't want to put words in your mouth. 

juanitos said:
if items aren't brittle you can fit more in flat rate padded envelope.
Well if everyone includes a return address label, and the cash to ship it back this could be an option as well.  I guess it will depend on what folks submit.    Thank you for the suggestion!  

juanitos said:
if items aren't brittle you can fit more in flat rate padded envelope.
What do you have against brittle? I love brittle.

Back