• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Thrips in indoor hydro system!

Here I was thinking that my indoor plants were doing good then I noticed a small sucker. When I tried to kill it, it jumped away.

Should I go crazy and spray everything down or give it some time and see how things play out?

I've only noticed one thrip so far and no effect on leaf foliage. I know these suckers can multiply really fast depending on a lot of factors.

My own fault bringing potted soil plants indoors during cold nights, they must have jumped over to the hydro plants!

Think I found the sucker, found one on the same leaf minutes later. This time I crushed it with my fingers! What are the chances, can't be the same one? haha

I'm not able to see more of them, sure will spend some more time checking them out soon. Just got off work :)

Last time I used some green soap mixed in water, which seemed to get rid of them but was never totally sure if they were 100% gone. That was at outdoor plants, not the same as the affected ones now.

I've heard of neem oil and it's available in my country. On the product it says it's for skin, nails and hair? Really? Or is this a completely different product?

Link to the product, in Norwegian though: http://www.tempelyog...Neem-olje-200ml

I've heard of neem oil and it's available in my country. On the product it says it's for skin, nails and hair? Really? Or is this a completely different product?

That's it. Neem oil is used for all kinds of stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

You dilute pure neem oil around 8ml per litre of water to use as a spray. Since oil and water don't mix it's helpful to add a few drops of dish soap to the solution to help disperse the oil. It doesn't kill bugs immediately like a chemical insecticide, but it does the job over time. You have spray the entire plant from top to bottom (underside of leafs too) and keep reapplying it until the problem is solved.

Primarily it makes the plant taste offensive to the bugs but you'll never notice it. It also interferes with their reproductive cycle and makes them go kind of insane lol. It's safe and you can spray right up until the day before harvest if needed.

That's it. Neem oil is used for all kinds of stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

You dilute pure neem oil around 8ml per litre of water to use as a spray. Since oil and water don't mix it's helpful to add a few drops of dish soap to the solution to help disperse the oil. It doesn't kill bugs immediately like a chemical insecticide, but it does the job over time. You have spray the entire plant from top to bottom (underside of leafs too) and keep reapplying it until the problem is solved.

Primarily it makes the plant taste offensive to the bugs but you'll never notice it. It also interferes with their reproductive cycle and makes them go kind of insane lol. It's safe and you can spray right up until the day before harvest if needed.

Yep I also mix Scorpion Juice in with it, I have a Jar of Scorpions in the fridge soaking in a 30/70 vinegar water solution I strain it and make my spray spicy. I found the Scorpion/mild soap mix kills all kinds of bugs I added neem oil as an afterthought.

Yep I also mix Scorpion Juice in with it, I have a Jar of Scorpions in the fridge soaking in a 30/70 vinegar water solution I strain it and make my spray spicy. I found the Scorpion/mild soap mix kills all kinds of bugs I added neem oil as an afterthought.

Thanks for clearing that up. I might just go ahead and spray it all down but need to get the products first. Spent about an hours yesterday looking through a lot of leaves but can't find more bugs. I find it quite easy to see them.

I still haven't totally decided yet if I would spray everything down or leave them the way they are and check more often if the thrips family has expanded.

Here I was thinking that my indoor plants were doing good then I noticed a small sucker. When I tried to kill it, it jumped away.

Should I go crazy and spray everything down or give it some time and see how things play out?

I've only noticed one thrip so far and no effect on leaf foliage. I know these suckers can multiply really fast depending on a lot of factors.

My own fault bringing potted soil plants indoors during cold nights, they must have jumped over to the hydro plants!

What exactly are those suckers...species name? I noticed I have an army of them near my water tank outside. I sprayed them with dish soap mixed with water higher concentrated than normal...but they came back...sighhhhh

Back