• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Timer for fluorescent lights

I've been doing some research and it seems that some timers don't work as well with fluorescent lights. I'm going to be running 4 HO T5's and want to make sure that I have a timer that is compatible with/won't mess up the T5 fluorescent lights.

Does anyone have experience with timers and fluorescent lights?

Any insight is appreciated.

I'm currently using utilitech # 0155671 http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com:80/pd_155671-207-TE06WHBL_0__?productId=3438750&Ntt=Utilitech+timer&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3DUtilitech%2Btimer&facetInfo=

From lowes...... My set-up is 2ft 2tube T5 not HO..... This timer has been working great for me. I have not had any problems. Im sure it will work for HO T5 as well. Check it out. Cheap too.!!! Under $20

I have used several different timers for flouro and HID. I have never experienced any problems with any of them not working with flouros. IMHO mechanical timers are more reliable than the digital. They do not have as many features but they are very simple and I just feel better when I can take something apart and see how it works or why its broken.

I have never heard of problems with timers and t5's.
We offer both a mechanical and a digital dual outlet timer through our site. (link available from our profile page)
We also have a heavy duty 20 amp mechanical timer for appliances.

A timer is basically switch. Mechanical timers can handle a much higher current draw. A digital timer is no different, most residential timers are rated at 15A max. Commerical timers are available, and work well with high output grows but come with a cost...

Greg

No problems using a mechanical timer with my T-5s last year or so far this year. I think I bought my timer from Wal-mart for under $20 and has two outlets for both of my lights.

+1 Pic1...

I have been using timers for standard fluorescents and CFLs for several years now, both mechanical and digital and have had no issue with them or the lights...

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TGO6RY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hope it works as expected. It seems it got bad reviews because people tried to use it without first reading the instructions.

Back